Soil or Hydro???????

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by missionsix, May 11, 2009.

1. Any suggestions on whether I should go hydro or soil? I'm leaning towards hydro. Any quick pros/cons?

2. Soil -

Less work, potentially bigger yields - bigger pots, safer.

3. 2 votes for soil....

4. Hydro will get u bigger plants and bigger yields faster... A 4 month old plant in soil will be about the same size as a 3 month or so hydro... If anyone would like to disagree with that then they dont know what they are talking about because ive tested it 3 times

both have pros cons... but the biggest pro in soil is ALOT less hassle... but hydro is the best by far. Youll get alot more out of your plants going hydro

i hope this helps

5. I presently have a grow going, 4 plants, two in soil, and 2 in an ebb and flow system I built. I am using organic potting soil, and hydroton.

Dolomite, bone meal, and blood meal in the soil mix along with some perlite. AN nutrients in the hydro resevoir; micro, grow, bloom, and some voodoo juice, along with carbo load. The 2 plants in the ebb and flow are nearly twice as big as the plants in soil. Also they are a much darker green color. They are branching way sooner than the soil grow.

If you are doing a sog or scrog, you would be better off using soil in pots, much easier to manage. Hydro is more work, but I think you will get better and faster results with it. JMO.

6. I concur with Dank

7. Im a first time grower (growing "Tomatoes"). One outdoors one indoors. Indoors is on hydro outdoors is in soil.

The soil is so much less of a hassle. It seems to take its course on its own and doesnt need check-ups as much as the hydro. It also seems to be happier than my other plant...

I would go for soil if you are new to it.

8. Thanks for the replies everyone.... I went to the GS today and priced my entire system. Going hydro. I'm looking at roughly 1,000-1,200 in equipment. I'm not skimping on my lighting system.

9. Hey, I build hydro systems for a living. If your spending 1200 on a hydro system there is something wrong. What system are you getting, what area do you have to work with, and WHY would you throw 1200 away for a system that I can make here at home for 40 bucks? Don't buy all that expensive shit, it requires more maintenance, more confusion, and dude, you can buy something nice for yourself instead of a system that you can make yourself for 1/4 of the cost.

10. 800 on lighting, 200 on misc and a 200 dollar contingency for whatever.

11. If this is your first garden, I'd try soil. Not because it's easier, but because it's way cheaper in most cases and if you decide gardening isn't for you, then you haven't dumped tons of money into a hobby you will no longer practice.

With that said, after doing both soil and hydro I can honestly tell you I think Hydro is easier and anyone who says otherwise probably hasn't discovered the Lucas feeding formula or Deep water culture.

Hydro could be thought of as "more involved" however. As there is a lot more planning and prep, but I don't consider that as making it more difficult to pull off.

12. Mind if I ask what kind of lights?

13. What lighting are you getting? Buddy above who says he spends $40 probably isn't aware of the size of your garden.

14. t33, good point, thats why I asked what kind of lights your using, that will tell me size and area coverage. 800 sounds like your getting 2 600w or higher.

The 40$ was used to build my Hydro medium, no lights included, no nutrients, just the bare system. Pumps are not included too. I spent 100 even on my Hydro system, 40 for the parts, the rest for pumps and misc. I do build Hydrofarms for a living though, so I can find better prices than most, but I just don't want to see you spend money on a expensive system if you can do it yourself, which trust me, any one can do. Says a lot about me don't it? :eek:Haha:D

15. This is my first attempt at growing. I have been researching the net (grasscity), books and, experienced friends. I am also an avid reef aquarist and the association of water with the grow appeals to me. I have 2-250w lumatek ballasts that are brand new from a tank that I just tore down.
    The ballasts I'm looking at getting for my garden are switchable mh/hps and 400w/600w. I don't really want to shortchange myself. Damned if I can't remember the brand. It was a sleek looking ballast that was taller than normal ones. Kinda looked like a silver/black x-box360. I'm only legally allowed 6 in flower here in Oregon. I figure that 2-400w/3 plants will be sufficient?????

I see many more votes for soil now.

16. Here's a rough sketch of my idea......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My pump will be in-line to both push and pull water/nutrients through the system. I plan on a constant water level (dotted line on drawing), tons of aeration and a larger reservoir for lower maintenance. I'll be using R/O water. I am on a well. Any thoughts?

17. You can grow 8 plants under each 400 w HPS lamp. Switchable ballasts are no good. My shop no longer sells them because when you switch them to MH, they only give you 50-60% of the lamps spectrum. Ballasts are wired to produce specific frequencies, and switching that frequency is not good. Just grow with HPS and some Flours, and you will be golden, dont waste money on a convertable ballast. I have one in my garage that I throw rocks at on the weekends, thats how good that are, and honestly, I think its all its good for. :p You can get, under 2 400 watt lamps, 10 -12 plants that are AWESOME. If your only growing 3, you only need one, and 400 watts for 3 plants is alot of light.

GIMME SOME REP!!! :D

:wave:

18. Well, I'm a soil lover currently, as I don't like how easily hydro can go wrong. I've seen many of friends lose plants within 12 hours in Hydro, and I've never lost a plant once I've got it transplanted in soil, seem to be more resilient, and more room for error. Nice drawing up there btw, much better artist than I. :smoking:

19. Looks like it will work providing your inline pump pumps slower or the same speed as the bucket infront of it drains.

20. Hmm, thats interesting, so instead of having the submersable pump in your res, its an inline pump to constantly cycle water? sounds pretty cool. Just a word of advice though, place your drain output at the height of where you want your water level to maintain at. When your pump shuts off, and if your res is lower than your buckets, the fill lines act as drains also. Look at the Ebb&Grow system, fantastic setup that might spark some ideas for you. Its what I am using currently in my shop to grow some nice veggi trees. I love it.