Soil or hydro?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Gottagrow1k, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Hi everyone..
    So I'm not a first time grower..only about 3 harvested crops done correctly tho. I've done one hydro crop..and the other 2 were soil. I just moved, which ment I had to demo my last setup. Currently I'm in the process of constructing my first grow box..located in the basement.I've always constructed rooms but there is No other alternatives. So I've started a design thats 4w X 5L X 6 1/2. Thinking about making a cloner for faster turn around and making another addition for separate flowering chamber..but that will wait. I'm using a 600w hps with a lumatek ballast. I also have a 6 inch can fan and a carbon filter I do have all the necessities for either soil or hydro. I'm close to canada so I might take a trip to find quality seeds..looking around for good indica stains..with short flowering. My question is a matter of preference I suppose but still. Should I grow 1 plant "massive" with hydro and shoot for a pound...our should I try for like 6 in sog with soil..just wondering what everyone else thinks..thanks for the read!..and all the help and tips in these forums

2. I did soil my first grow and doing a hybrid of hydro/soil my 2nd

I haven't experienced hydro but I would def recommend under a 600w light that you grow more than one plant to utilize your space.

3. Same boat here, I grow in a couple of boxes in the basement. I'm set up for soil and hydro, built my own flood and drain but after much research I decided that hydro is just too much responsibility. I love spending time with my plants, but I don't want them to be a daily burden.

I have a threshold for labor and responsibility when it comes to something I do just for fun. I want the best health and yield for the least amount of work, and organics does the job.

4. for hydro you must feed all nutrients at the correct amounts

5. ... I'm confident enough to follow a nute regiment, my wife also has a bachelor in horticulture..so I've got my back covered... I was wondering because before our recent move (had it down to the last days!) I had a 10 x12 room with only a 600w and just soil.. Started 12 bag seeds and ended up with 7 harvested..yup got some hermies..still pretty. With 7 I harvested I got around 630 g wet..said and done I got about 100g dried and cured.. I basically would like to see better results seems like I coulda produced bigger results.. I kept an extensive grow journal..so I'm going to use the seeds with the traits I like on the next go around.. Have to wait till march to start (going to jamaica in feb!) so I have plenty of time to plot and plan :) sorry for jumping all around...never posted online or asked anyone else for growing advice...aside from my wife..and Ht mags..."loose lips sink ships" I Feel confident using this site tho Thanks again for reading and any input :)

6. On another note..my final product isn't dense or sticky..its all light n fluffy..only has chronic smells when I'm packing it up..taste good.. but could this bud issue be just the strain..or that I didn't have sufficient lighting for the space provided?..thanks again!

7. 100g from 7 plants under a 600w? Thats 13g per plant.... hell thats not even worth growing..

You might want to dial in on soil before you even attempt hydro.. if i got 100g off 7 plants id burn my setup down :p

8. ^^^ This all this way. Plus hydro is just too much room for error. I don't like the idea that I could fuck up a couple months of hard work in one day. Soil is much more forgiving. Plus organic soil grown is the best tasting bud there is. Hydro bud just isn't that great. It looks pretty, but that's about it.

9. ...well this is a main reason I'm on here... I pretty much cropped out like this...
    Wet Dry
    A- 81g / 18g
    B- 143g / 21g
    C- 91g / 18g
    D- 67g / 7g
    E-165g / 30g
    F- 121g / 25g
    H ? Smoked too soon :p

So thats about 119g minus the bigger stems.. Seems like I lost a lot more during dying than I should of...I know they say about 75% moisture lost but damn...how do I double or even triple this?

10. Its true, you do lose a lot in drying... but in order to help you get bigger yields ill need some info..

Such as whats the ph of the water youre using, how many gallon pots, what nutes, how big of a room, is the room sealed from light, strain, veg time, flower time...

11. My room was a 10 x12 room windows sealed..no light leaks. I'm using a 600w hps with sun system reflector. Lumatek digital ballast. Using a 6" inline can fan. Im not sure the strain..bag seed. Took weekly measurements to try to study..think I had 2 indica and 5 sativa .again just basing that on height. The pots are 10" ez grow pots.think it equals 5 gallons. It has a strip o fabric / wick on the bottom that absorbs the H20 thru bottom watering. They claim the ez pots only need watering once our twice a week, I still had to water like every day.. sometimes every other. As far a watering..I just had the manual ph tester..(drops) and tried to keep that around 6.5. I vegged from seed about 8-9 weeks.. Then I used a product called "age old bloom" 5-10-5 used that during flowering..only once a week tho?.. I flowered for roughly 8/9 weeks.. I have a 30x-100x scope so I tried to correctly harvest.. Trichromes were milky .. I was going crazy looking and checking over and over...probably ruining all those sweet crystals in the process. Idk I can't be upset with 3.5 oz. just disappointed :(

12. Well I've decided I'm going organic..maybe 5. probably lst and scrog. I've got to do a better job this go around.