Soil mixes

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by jordansb8, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Hey guy i was just wondering if anyone can steer me into the right direction for a good soil mix for my grow. I will be using an organic fertilizer feeding plan so what is a simple but efficient soi mix. I cant buy ffof or any good soil around here so ill have to get the best organic soil I can get and add perlite and whatever else you guys think i should add to it?

2. How hard is it to regulate ph and the grow in general without always adding nutes?

3. ^ If you start with a good soil based on high quality humus (humus=compost and/or earth worm castings (ewc)), you don't have to "regulate" pH at all. The soil (humic acid from organic matter and the microbes) does that for you. I don't own a pH meter and have never used one in my garden. Using pH up/down in an organic garden actually creates more pH problems by inhibiting the soils ability to buffer its own pH.

In fact, it is far more difficult to regulate pH in a soil where you are adding "nutes".

4. There's nothing easier - just keep it moist from start to finish and throw away your pH pen -

Easy enough?

All nutrition is added to the soil mix when it's constructed. Soil life arrives in your compost and earthworm castings. The soil life breaks down the organic matter into usable plant food.

Buds taste and smell better. No more spending money on bottled nutrients. The soil can be reused for years by simply top dressing here and there and feeding assorted teas.

It simply doesn't get any easier and you'll never smoke better buds than naturally grown organic buds.

Take a look here - http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

And here - http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-m...door-gardening-without-bottled-nutrients.html

Good luck man. There a lot of good folks here that can help you do this if you're interested.

J

5. Jerry and ITG, two of seemingly the most knowledgable gardens, do you guys have any idea where to find a readily available substitute for the rock dust part of the soil? By now I'm aware of its purpose, and how vital it is....just not able to get any without driving an hour....at least as of right now.....
    And I'm in a pickle.....need to transplant ASAP as my roots are extending from though the bottom of my solo cups...but i dont think I've got the necessary 3 weeks to cook the soil!!

Wwjd....hahah not really..what do I do?!

6. Next time you'll need to prepare ahead.

In the meantime you might need to use a bagged organic soil in a coupla gallon container until your own has finished nutrient cycling. http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/988488-ready-grow-bagged-soil.html

As far as rock dust goes, try at a countertop place nearby? The guys that cut granite countertops often just throw away their dust from the saws and will just be glad to get rid of it for free.

It's a thought anyhow. I'd start with those guys. In the meantime might I suggest getting the items together for a second batch so that you have plenty of time for it to cycle like it should? That's where you're going to get your best results - with a soil that has had the time it needs for the organic matter to breakdown, time for your amendments to breakdown into usable plant food, time for necessary compounds to be released, etc. When you have a solid soil mix made, and plenty of time for these things to happen, the results are magic! :)

J

7. Thanks Jerry

I know now that next time I def. need to plan ahead!
    Thanks to you and ITG for the most part, Im getting a better understanding by the moment.

I think I'm gonna go with the R2Go-soil option..
    But before I do that I must ask...

Can I possibly mix 1 part perlite(25-33%), 1 part Organic Miracle Gro Potting Soil(33%), 1 part ewc's(33%, including the ewc's atop the plant), and maybe 1/2cup kelp meal, just for a hold-me-over...I'd do this in a one gallon pot of course, and plan on it being a home of three weeks max, while my soil cooks?

And man, I can't wait to get rolling! Welp, I'm well on the way lads and lasses!
    Thanks to you!

#hydroWHAT?Organicbaby!

8. PS, I'm working with Sharks breathe and a bagseed..
    Sharksbreathe is turning out great..
    Bagseed has done some crazy things in her short lifetime...We'll just have to hope she makes it :/ Prayers and thought everyone lol

9. Please try and avoid MG products at all costs. Please do not support these people. Anything is better than doing this.

1/2 a cup of kelp meal is way too much for a top dressing in a 1 gallon pot. Cut it down to a few tablespoons and mix it into the top several inches with your fingers.

Please do anything but Miracle Grow.

J

10. Miracle Grow=Monsanto

11. Miracle Grow= A miracle if anything grows....;)

12. [quote name='"jerry111165"']Please try and avoid MG products at all costs. Please do not support these people. Anything is better than doing this.

1/2 a cup of kelp meal is way too much for a top dressing in a 1 gallon pot. Cut it down to a few tablespoons and mix it into the top several inches with your fingers.

Please do anything but Miracle Grow.

J[/quote]

Wasn't my intentions to grab it as I sent my girlfriend to pick it up....so I'm stuck now that I do have it..
    Thoughts were that I needed something organic...no matter what..Figuring that if weed can grow natural soil, nearly anything should work...that was jut my thought process....
    Now I know better....

And thanks for the tip. I'll work a couple tablespoons of kelp meal in..

Cheers and ciao! Time to get to cheffing!

#mmmmChocolope..

13. [quote name='"colafarmer"']Miracle Grow= A miracle if anything grows....;)[/quote]

Guess I'm wishing on a star....

14. illie, you can absolutely grow cannabis in that miracle gro organic soil. Cannabis is a weed and will grow in just about anything. The real question is....why would you? We know you didn't know this, nobody's trying to rag on you, more just trying to put information out there for other growers.

You've got it with the couple TBS of kelp meal. I'd mix it into the soil in the pot and sprinkle a bit on top as a top-dressing. If you'd use around 1 cup per cubic foot (7.5 gallons) of soil, then you want to use around 1 oz of kelp meal (1 oz=2 TBS.) for just 1 gallon of soil.

Also, go ahead and mix up your regular soil. Remember that you are going to need more nutrition in your regular soil than just kelp meal (you can do a just-kelp grow, but I'd advise you throw something else in there too for your first run).

Use some of the ewc to make an ACT and use the ACT to moisten to soil to jump-start the nutrient cycling process. If you don't have an air pump, you can just put a big handful of ewc in an old pitcher or bucket filled with dechlorinated water (let the tap water sit out overnight to allow the chlorine to dissipate). Now get an old kitchen whisk or fork or something and stir, stir, stir, stir. Every time you walk past the bucket, give it a good stir. Keep this up for 18-24 hours. The goal is to get as much oxygen into the water as possible. It's obviously not as good as an air pump, but you can make something halfway decent (and maintain aerobic conditions) this way.

15. #17 colafarmer, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2012
    You can grow with it illie but, if you do a search for Monsanto(processes soil for MG)you may find out why their are better soils to choose from....Some of us learned the hard way and just paying it forward....:)

Right now I'm using Kellog's Patio Plus and adding all the good amendments and having a great grow. Home Depot has it(1.5cf)for $6. The only thing I recommend is to screen the soil and trash the larger stuff.....

16. That's what I was thinking..Weeds grow in anything...So anything would work...Well as you've stated, now I know..
    And I don't think ppl are raggin' on me personally, it's more the fact that I'd rather "you" save "your" thought or keep it to "yourself" if it's something like, "boycott Monsato, they're the devil", or "Miracle Gro is terrible..Everyone says it"...

I'd rather the people that have tried it elaborate why it didn't work for them, or what they did to get it work. That way, when some hopeless individual like me, decides to grow and they end up with Miracle Gro for whatever reason, they'll have a place to find some juicy info regarding what to do and what not to do..Or just what might help them make it thru....And thanks to you and Jerry for the most part, I'm pretty sure we'll be of help to someone in the near future....
    BUT....regarding the official business....

Along with the kelp meal, what do you recommend? The tomato tone? The Alfalfa meal?
    I'll go ahead and grab it ASAP
    And do I water with the tea alongside regular water? Or am I using the tea only?
    Sorry if the question seems a bit remedial..I'd just like to be sure and I'm sure someone else might have this question!
    But anyhow, I'll start it now..(The tea)
    What do you think about a little fish tank oxygenator? How much more of a benefit will I get out of buying it, rather than just whisking manually...
    I'm literally babysitting here and looking forward to the attentiveness that will be required!
    Too bad I got a late start on paying attention huh lol?!

#IRollKingSizeRawPapers

17. Great info. And thank you sir!
    My second time around I'll buy seeds and my soil will be ready to the point, where all I'd need is water!
    I've learned so much in literally NO TIME....
    Thanks again bud

18. Tomato tone contains alfalfa meal along with other organic amendments (feather meal, cocoa meal, humates, etc.) and is inoculated with multiple strains of beneficial bacteria. At this point, you're better off grabbing a bag of the tomato tone than trying to source multiple amendments.

You would use the tea to moisten the soil in place of water. Or, if you don't have enough act to get the soil moist enough (you want it about as damp as a well wrung out sponge), you can use the tea and then add however much water (dechlorinated of course) is needed to reach the desired moisture level.

An aquarium pump and an air stone will absolutely produce a more microbe-dense ACT than just whisking it manually. The more oxygen you can cram into that water, the better your ACT will be. I just suggested the bucket and whisk in case you don't have an air pump and aren't inclined to purchase one (or your budget won't allow it). A small air pump will work as long as you are brewing in a small container. I use a small air pump but I only brew a gallon or less at a time (you want to make sure that you aren't using too small of a pump in too large of a container). Check out Microbeman's ACT-Aerated Compost Tea thread here in the organics section for a short, concise, excellent read on ACT.