Soil Mixes - NO NUTES - WATER ONLY - POST THEM!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Stoned Chick, Jun 4, 2010.

1. [quote name='"greenbudguy"']I'll pick up some peat next time I go. Do my amendments all sound good? I'm sure there is more I can add but I'm not doing very long veg time so I'm holding back on the nitrogen additives and just feeding it nitrogen by liquid nutes. The phosphorus and potassium is what I want activated in my soil from veg to harvest so when I'm done vegging, there isn't any more nitrogen being slowly released in my soil.

Edit: Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong or if I can do something to make it better[/quote]

What liquid nutes? Nitro is an element that is hard to find dissolvable forms that can just be bottled. Most of the time bottled nutes still chelate the nitro so I'd recommend just letting the soil do the work to see if your mix is right. Throwing nutes in there will throw off your process of finding that perfect mix of a true water only hot soil. but if your showing deficiencies then go with a fish based product or an ewc tea just to save the situation and go back to the drawing board on your next mix

2. didnt hear any feedback before so...

2 cu/ft sunshine mix #4
    4 cups perlite
    4 cups vermiculite
    1 cup diatomaceous earth
    1 cup castings 1-0-0
    1 cup cow manure .50-.50-.50
    1 cup happy frog all purpose 'w' mychorrizae n humic acid 5-5-5
    1 cup neem cake 4-.5-.5
    1 cup kelp meal 6-5-25
    1 cup budswel 0-7-0

too much/little?

3. #123 FunTimeGrowHap, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2011
    You will definitely want more castings.

I would omit the diatomaceous earth as the sunshine mix already has dolomitic lime.

Not sure about your manure. Has it been composted?

I would also omit the budswell as the happy frog already has guano in it, and I would be relying on it heavily as it's your only ingredient with a mineral source.

Here's what I would try with what you have on hand:

1.75 gallons of castings
    5 gallons sunshine mix #4
    1/3 gallon perlite
    1/3 gallon vermiculite (get it wet first, you don't want to breath in vermiculite dust)
    1/2 c. neem cake
    1/2 c. kelp meal
    1 c. happy frog 5-5-5

You can always water in more kelp and/or guano later.

4. [quote name='"FunTimeGrowHap"']You will definitely want more castings.

I would omit the diatomaceous earth as the sunshine mix already has dolomitic lime.

Not sure about your manure. Has it been composted?

I would also omit the budswell as the happy frog already has guano in it, and it's also your only mineral source.

Here's would I would try with what you have on hand:

1.75 gallons of castings
    5 gallons sunshine mix #4
    1/3 gallon perlite
    1/3 gallon vermiculite (get it wet first, you don't want to breath in vermiculite dust)
    1/2 c. neem cake
    1/2 c. kelp meal
    1 c. happy frog 5-5-5[/quote]

Awesome man, thanks this is what ive been looking for, why do u say omit the D Earth, i was under the impression its good against fungus gnat larvae or is the neem cake enough, and also arent they two different things D lime and D earth.

The manure is something i was leary of also because ive heard not to use uncomposted manure like u mention, and i dont know how to tell if this is or isnt composted, the brand is "Hoffman organic cow manure"... im still a little lost on compost, not sure what it really is, is this basically the same thing as vermicompost which is what castings are... correct?...Are they jus different names, and do i NEED compost to complete my mix.

5. 1. I thought you were using it as a buffer. Dig through the organic section stickies and make your own call. I haven't seen any undesirable critters since I started using neem and crab shell.

2. If it's a store bought product, it's probably composted. On the flip side of the coin, I wouldn't use it unless I could find out a little info about its' production process. Check the manufacturer's website and make the call.
    Compost is crucial to the mix, but that's why I suggested you use a lot more of the vermicompost A.K.A. castings.

The stickies will really help with finalizing your choices, but more people will surely chime in to help.

6. [quote name='"FunTimeGrowHap"']1. I thought you were using it as a buffer. Dig through the organic section stickies and make your own call. I haven't seen any undesirable critters since I started using neem and crab shell.

2. If it's a store bought product, it's probably composted. On the flip side of the coin, I wouldn't use it unless I could find out a little info about its' production process. Check the manufacturer's website and make the call.
    Compost is crucial to the mix, but that's why I suggested you use a lot more of the vermicompost A.K.A. castings.

The stickies will really help with finalizing your choices, but more people will surely chime in to help.[/quote]

Thanks man.... appreciate it, theres so much different castings everywhere idk whats good and whats not so i think im gonna go with the fungal compost from simplici-tea.com<< check it out ... has the seal of approval from LD also... lol...thanks again bro. NAMASTE

7. [quote name='"badboy287"']didnt hear any feedback before so...

2 cu/ft sunshine mix #4
    4 cups perlite
    4 cups vermiculite
    1 cup diatomaceous earth
    1 cup castings 1-0-0
    1 cup cow manure .50-.50-.50
    1 cup happy frog all purpose 'w' mychorrizae n humic acid 5-5-5
    1 cup neem cake 4-.5-.5
    1 cup kelp meal 6-5-25
    1 cup budswel 0-7-0

too much/little?[/quote]

Why add the DE I heard that's to kill knats and insects?

8. I think DE has silica in it.

9. [quote name='"purplesage"']

I heard that's to kill knats and insects?[/quote]

Correct.... its pretty much a preventive method for me , i had it before i got the neem cake so i just use em both to be double sure.

10. [quote name='"WeeDroid"']I think DE has silica in it.[/quote]

I looked up on wiki hope this helps some folks. I'd keep it in your mix for the silica content. I copied and pasted the article

Diatomaceous earth ( /ˌdaɪ.ətəˌmeɪʃəs ˈɜrθ/) also known as diatomite or kieselgur, is a naturally occurring, soft, siliceous sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder. It has a particle size ranging from less than 1 micrometre to more than 1 millimetre, but typically 10 to 200 micrometres.[1] This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of oven dried diatomaceous earth is 80 to 90% silica, with 2 to 4% alumina (attributed mostly to clay minerals) and 0.5 to 2% iron oxide.[1]

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, mild abrasive, mechanical insecticide,[2]absorbent for liquids, cat litter, activator in blood clotting studies, and a stabilizing component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator.

11. question, what is and how do i rep, fyi i use the mobile app since thats the only internet i have atm...

12. Rep is some weird thing you can give and receive for what other people think about your posts. When I see it, I know that the person with the rep is either:

1. Helpful to other growers with advice and links.
    2. Making a journal that everyone drools over. Sometimes seen in combo with the first scenario.
    3. Good at talking about random drivel in the non-grower sections.

13. Anyone ever use any products from Whitney farms? I understand that Scotts/MG owns it so I'm not sure of the quality. I work next to a nursery full of the brand that's doing a 40% off end of the season sale and I want to grab some raw amendments for cheap

14. HHH,

I'm all for getting a good deal on organic fertilizers and if they are indeed organic, it sounds like a good deal. It just sucks having to spend any money to feed the Monsanto Machine.

chunk

15. Exactly knowing that they have been continuously lobbying the USDA to lower the requirements for "organic" labeling and practices is a big turn off as well. They'd have to slashthe price for me to be ok with it. Like for instance their bone meal doesn't list what animals it came from or if those animals were raised organically so it's confusing to have an organic product made from abused or unhappy animals treated inorganically or chemically grown kelps for kelp meal etc and I dont put it past them to do such things.

16. If you absolutely have no other choice then I say do what ya gotta do, but if there is any other choice AT ALL then do not support Monsanto.

After reading recently about them I will never spend another nickel with them again. Ever. If you dont know who they are then please Google them and see how bad of people they are. Bad, bad, bad.

just my .02c.

jerry.

17. Where are all the pics of these soils in use???

18. [quote name='"jerry111165"']If you absolutely have no other choice then I say do what ya gotta do, but if there is any other choice AT ALL then do not support Monsanto.

After reading recently about them I will never spend another nickel with them again. Ever. If you dont know who they are then please Google them and see how bad of people they are. Bad, bad, bad.

just my .02c.

jerry.[/quote]

Yeah I do have a lot of other choices but I don't usually make impulsive decisions on using new products. And not to start a corporate political discussion but from my research so far Whitney farms is owned by Ron mclleelan co here in Oregon but is a subsidiary of Scotts co (which means they're sell outs first off ha ha) and of course Scotts owned by monsanto, so the nursery can take a long walk off a short pier with that stuff even at 40% off. The whole place is full of that and MG crap and the price of the FFOF is insane.

19. [quote name='"heretikhashhead"']

Yeah I do have a lot of other choices but I don't usually make impulsive decisions on using new products. And not to start a corporate political discussion but from my research so far Whitney farms is owned by Ron mclleelan co here in Oregon but is a subsidiary of Scotts co (which means they're sell outs first off ha ha) and of course Scotts owned by monsanto, so the nursery can take a long walk off a short pier with that stuff even at 40% off. The whole place is full of that and MG crap and the price of the FFOF is insane.[/quote]

Jerry watch the movie Food Inc for a lot more info on that.