Soil Mixes - NO NUTES - WATER ONLY - POST THEM!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Stoned Chick, Jun 4, 2010.

1. - half Bail Pro-mix BX
    - 1 bag FoxFarms Ocean Forest
    - 1 cup dolomite lime
    - 1 cup blood meal
    - 1 cup bone meal
    - 10-20% extra perlite

im looking at doing this mix for my next grow however i cant find the Pro-mix BX. if i order it online it will cost just as much to ship it as it costs so i was wondering if i can replace that with something else i can find at lowes/home depot. im not lucky enough to live in a area with hydro shops and greenhouses worth a damn.

2. #82 Secondary, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2011
    Thanks. Apparently MG organic choice garden soil already has some chicken shit in it.

Here's the final recipe I ended up going with:

This mix is cooking in the bin in the garage as we speak. You should also be able to find all these ingredients between Wal Mart and Lowes. If you can't find alfalfa at Wal Mart check the rabbit food section at the pet store. I just ground up the hay.

I decided to use just a little bit of alfalfa in the mix and just mix it with water to add during flowering. If you wanted to run this recipe without using the alfalfa as a tea (aka water-only as the thread suggests) I would just add 3/4 cup into the mix and see how things go from there. Notice I revised the ratios are for 1 cf of soil instead of 2.

Thanks for all the help guys, it has aided me immensely.

3. Here's a mix I'm currently working on gathering materials for, going to try experimenting with it shortly. Please feel free to make suggestions/recommendations!

Soil Mix:
    8qt Hoffman Purely Organic Potting Soil (44%)
    4qt Hoffman Horticultural Vermiculite (22%)
    2qt CocoTek Coco Coir (22%)
    2qt homegrown worm castings (11%) (I'd like to use more, but that's all I have in my bin right now)

Amended with:
    1 cup Blood meal
    1 cup Bone meal
    1 cup Kelp meal

I've looked at FF Happy Frog Fruit & Flower fertilizer as a sole amendment but not sure what I think of that yet, the NPK is 5-8-4. Also not sure about adding lime...

Also, for starting seedlings, I've read that you can start them in straight worm castings with no burn...any truth to that? Is there a better organic seed starter mix? I'm afraid of burn, so I was thinking 3:1 ratio of Hoffman soil to castings to start the seeds.

4. #84 organicterra, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
    This is how I put together my current mix that I am using for an indoor soil bed experiment.
    Following items added to my current inventory of around 60 or so gallons of soil mix.
    Fish Meal 3 cups
    Fish Bone Meal 3 cups
    Alfalfa Meal 4 cups
    Soybean Meal 2 cups
    Soft Rock Phosphate 3 cups
    Neem Seed Meal 2 cups
    Crab Shell Meal 2 cups
    Kelp Meal 2 cups
    Oyster Shell Powder 2 cups
    Oyster Shell 2 cups
    Gypsum 2 cups
    Dolomite lime 2 cups
    Azomite 3 cups
    K Mag 2 cups
    Glacial Rock Dust 10 cups

Added in another 4-5 cuft of coco, peat, ewc, homemade compost and pumice.
    Wetted down with homemade yarrow extract and some AEM solution.
    Was enough to fill my 150 gallon smart pot most of the way.

5. OT - how long did you let the batch sit? Seems like a warm mix, but maybe cuz its 60 gallons _ sounds kick-ass though! All is happy and cranking in it?

jerry.

6. It ended up being close to 120-130 gallons. I mixed everything up and let it sit in the smart pot outside for around 6 weeks with about 3-4" of bark mulch. Gave it a couple teas also.

I think you've seen my thread. (or maybe not) That's the mix.
    http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/908954-150-gallon-smart-pot-indoor-no-till.html

7. I use 50/50 ffof and roots organic as my base
    N bat guano 9/3/1
    P bat guana 0.5/12/1
    plant based whitney farm fert 5/1/5
    azomite
    perlite
    dolomite lime
    fox farm jump start fert 3/2/3

Still going to water, but not until flower time:smoke:

8. I've heard good things about roots organic soil. How is it compared to FFOF?

9. [quote name='"greenbudguy"']I've heard good things about roots organic soil. How is it compared to FFOF?[/quote]

Makes a great base. The bag lists a whole long line of amendments but there's only enough in there for them to legally state it on the packaging so adding is a must if you're goin water only. I've found mixing some warm soil and putting a 4-5in layer of plain out of the bag soil on the top of the pot works well

10. okay after a nice rethink,reading and rehaul i present my mix:

2 cu/ft sunshine mix #4
    4 cups perlite
    4 cups vermiculite
    1 cup diatomaceous earth
    1 cup castings 1-0-0
    1 cup cow manure .50-.50-.50
    1 cup happy frog all purpose 'w' mychorrizae n humic acid 5-5-5
    1 cup neem cake 4-.5-.5
    1 cup kelp meal 6-5-25
    1 cup budswel 0-7-0

ITS ALIIIVVEEE! !.... :p<<<< BAKED

anything i have too much/not enough of. Thanks

11. I've been using FFOF as a base soil for my mix but seen it here and there and wanted to hear from a grower using it. I've been looking to combine a couple different soils to get a more complete list of nutes in it.

12. [quote name='"sewich"']- half Bail Pro-mix BX
    - 1 bag FoxFarms Ocean Forest
    - 1 cup dolomite lime
    - 1 cup blood meal
    - 1 cup bone meal
    - 10-20% extra perlite

im looking at doing this mix for my next grow however i cant find the Pro-mix BX. if i order it online it will cost just as much to ship it as it costs so i was wondering if i can replace that with something else i can find at lowes/home depot. im not lucky enough to live in a area with hydro shops and greenhouses worth a damn.[/quote]

Look for sunshine mix #4 that's the same as promix without the microbes

13. Why wouldn't you want the microbes?

14. I havent used the roots organic on its own yet but I really like the amendments like the coco fiber and compost etc that the ocean forest lacks. Together the two really make a solid base soil, though. My plants have been growing like crazy with my mix and super roots airpots.

15. [quote name='"greenbudguy"']Why wouldn't you want the microbes?[/quote]

Adding your own then you know how much is really in there most bagged soils have just enough to register their product. Puts a couple of bucks on the price tag by putting in the bare minimum.

16. Very good point! Thanks for explaining! I agree. I'm brewing a tea right now :)

17. [quote name='"PsykoticSKA"']

I havent used the roots organic on its own yet but I really like the amendments like the coco fiber and compost etc that the ocean forest lacks. Together the two really make a solid base soil, though. My plants have been growing like crazy with my mix and super roots airpots.[/quote]

Yeah I want to find two or three soils I can combine to expand the list of nutrients and other benefits of the soil

18. Why spend the $$$$?

Those aren't really *soils*, but peat based mixes and you can make your own much cheaper and much better than the most expensive bagged stuff.

Wet

19. What would you suggest?

20. A bag of peat, a bag of ewc, a bag of pumice/perlite/lava, a bag of compost and a box/bag of complete organic dry ferts. and a liming agent for starters.

of course making your own compost and/or ewc is the preferred method.