Soil Mixes - NO NUTES - WATER ONLY - POST THEM!

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Stoned Chick, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Here's a list of plants with the highest levels of Potassium. The one that ANYONE can source and use is Alfalfa with Potassium levels at 20,300 ppm [cite]

Of you're only looking at Elements then Alfalfa is on par with Kelp Meal - where the differences come into play are the compounds (CxHxOx).

Take 1 cup of Alfalfa meal (pellets work too) and put into 4 gallons of water and let it set for a couple of days stirring it every time you think about. A small air-pump and airstone will help as well.

Apply straight up, i.e. no dilution is necessary. Apply as a foliar spray for stunning effects as well.

Here is a listing from USDA on the Elements found in Alfalfa with the quantities spelled out for you.

HTH

LD

2. Would you use alfalfa meal/pellets in a tea as well or does it work better as a foliar feed? If so, at the same ratio of one cup to 4 gallons of water?

3. Thanks LumperDawgz. Do you think adding a cup or two of this ground up into my soil mix will work? Or will it be better used as a tea during flower?

More or less I just want to make sure the rabbit food alfalfa will work for the potassium my plant needs without throwing other things off balance.

4. That'll work - maybe go with 1 cup. If you are see 'nute deficiency' (and you won't) you can always make a tea like I described above.

Can you find flaxseed meal at a health food store?

LD

5. You might have to go online for the kelp meal.

Espoma has kelp meal and greensand in their line. Finding a place that stocks the entire line of Espoma can be problematic. Even online, 5 lbs will last a long time, since 1/2 cup/cf will do ya.

Greensand works great along with the kelp meal. Even better if you recycle as it takes something like 3 years to fully break down.

Wet

6. #66 Secondary, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011
    Thanks, I went and picked up the alfalfa (rabbit food) today from the pet store. What is the flaxseed meal for? I may be able to pick some up.

How's this final recipe look for my water only mix?

Should I be upping my amendment ratios due to it being 2 cubic feet of soil instead of just 2 bags?

7. Flax Seed contains Potassium at 160,000 - 310,000 ppm [cite]

Mix 2x Alfalfa meal to 1x Flax Seed and apply at the same rate, i.e. 1 cup of THIS mix - i.e. not a cup of each ingredient.

The link has the full list of Elements as well as the different plant compounds, amino acids, etc. found in flax seeds.

HTH

LD

8. i was going to pickup a bag of rabbit food for alfalfa meal. but does it need to be pure alfalfa pellets? all the onesi could find had a mix of alfalfa and timothy hays

9. 9 out of 7 horses and cows like that mix, so ya use it. Here's some hay info you might find interesting.......MIW

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/AnimalSciences/pubs/id146.pdf

10. #70 jerry111165, Oct 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2011

I was surprised (to a certain extent) when my wife came home with a 25 pound bag of kelp meal that she picked up for relatively cheap money at the feed store - the kelp meal is used at our house as a "supplement" for the horse. :)

speaking about the alfalfa tea - I actually just made a batch - but I also cut 3 -4 leaves each off of the 3 comfrey plants - put the dozen comfrey leaves in a bucket with some water and hit the mix with a cake mixer (hand held) until the leaves were all chopped up fine - so its kind of a comfrey/alfalfa tea...is down in the cellar right now being aerated. I didnt think it would want to sit stagnant.

Should be fine mixing the 2, I would imagine?

jerry.

11. Jerry

You'll do better by letting the Comfrey 'ferment' for several weeks. It will 'almost' completely breakdown. Strain, dilute and apply.

For your first batch go with 1x Comfrey and 3x clear clean water. It'll take 4 weeks or maybe more depending on the ambient temperature.

AND you'll have the opportunity to see what an open sewer really smells like - what a bargain eh? It's about on the same odor level of fresh horse manure assuming you had your nose firmly planted in the horses anus that is.

And yes, the kelp meal that you feed your horses is the same thing you want in your garden. The only major packer of kelp meal is Acadian Seaplants in Nova Scotia so you should see cheap prices in your part of the world. By the time it gets to Oregon it's running $50.00 for 50 lbs.

HTH

LD

12. Jerry, You're gonna need one of these if you're gonna make an FPE:

[​IMG]
    Possuum and Russy can tell you where to get a good deal on them LMAO!

chunk

13. [quote name='"wetdog"']

You might have to go online for the kelp meal.

Espoma has kelp meal and greensand in their line. Finding a place that stocks the entire line of Espoma can be problematic. Even online, 5 lbs will last a long time, since 1/2 cup/cf will do ya.

Greensand works great along with the kelp meal. Even better if you recycle as it takes something like 3 years to fully break down.

Wet[/quote]

Thanks! I actually found an Ace hardware that carries a whole section of Epsoma so I'll look there next time I'm up in that area. Its actually down the street from a club I like to go to

14. Hey whats up? I am currently in the midst of my first grow nearing harvest! But I wanted to get a head start on my soil for my next grow with LST.

In this mix:
    - half Bail Pro-mix BX
    - 1 bag FoxFarms Ocean Forest
    - 1 cup dolomite lime
    - 1 cup blood meal
    - 1 cup bone meal
    - 10-20% extra perlite

I was wondering if the half bail of promix BX was essential and what the percentage ratios of each of the amendments? I plan to use a 1 or 2 gallon pot. For some reason I am having a mental block figuring this out :mad:.

15. #75 poppybgood, Oct 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2011
    Pelletized chicken manure normally comes in 2-3-2 or 3-2-3. I don't think they have it at the big box stores, but most feed and seed/and some older hardware stores like Ace and True Value carry it. Even though the bag says "non-burning", I think that just pertains to using it directly in the garden. For containers I would mix no more than 1 cup per 2 cu ft of grow medium. That way you can get 3 birds stoned at once and make sure there's ample food + micros.

Edit; I use it for all of my outdoor gardening feeding and it is great stuff. The indoor experts may be able to help dial in how much to use per bag if you decide to use it. Another thing I just though of that most of the big boxes carry that's organic- Mushroom compost. The bagged compost sucks compared to what you can buy from a mushroom farm, but it's still usable. That may be a viable option to get more K into your mix if all else fails.

16. I dont think im quite there yet with organics, still kinda struggling with the ingredients and amounts needed, but heres what i got some plants comin up in:

My measurements go by eyeballing so that may be my problem partly idk

Reused FFOF
    Canadian Spaghnum peat moss
    Perlite
    Vermiculite
    Nature solution Worm casting- NPK 1-0-0
    Hoffman cow manure- NPK 50-.50-.50
    Happy Frog all Purpose ferts w Mycorrhizae and Humic Acid-(see pic) NPK 5-5-5

dont know if these count since there not dry amendments but this is what i have in liquid:

BMO(Blue mountain organics) Flower Power- NPK 1-8-7 (see pic)
    Neptunes harvest (hydrolized)Fish n Seaweed- NPK 2-3-1

im not sure what else i need if anything or what the ratios/amounts i should be using, like i said i eyeball it, any help from the pros out there will be much appreciated. Thanks

Flower Power ingredients second line

ForumRunner_20111008_192001.png

Attached Files:

17. anyone?....

18. I'm not an expert but I'd add bone meal and alfalfa meal to help the P and K. You have a lot of N so that might help round things out a little. The mix sounds good to me. You're probably more of an expert than I am

19. [quote name='"greenbudguy"']I'm not an expert but I'd add bone meal and alfalfa meal to help the P and K. You have a lot of N so that might help round things out a little. The mix sounds good to me. You're probably more of an expert than I am[/quote]

i actually do have a bag of bone n blood meal mix called Hi yield B&B meal with NPK 6-7-0 but i curbed it because the happy frog fert has them both in there,and since its 5-5-5 with plenty of ingredients, i dont want to make the soil too hot...

I was thinking i need more K if anything, and thats where the flower power would come in, but i wanted some kelp meal which is also in the HF fertz so idk wat to do,
    i guess i shouldve asked this basic question before to sum it all up for me,....basically, is the Happy Frog all purpose good enough along side the manure and castings for an ideal jus plant and water mix, and the flower power tea for extra supplement later on?
    lol no expert here, jus trying to learn n take it all in. Thanks bruh

20. Use a bucket lid? Aerate?

Will the smell dissipate bt the time it comes inside for the ladies?

jerry.