Soil Mix?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Whynotbehigh, Oct 31, 2013.

1. This is the mix im about to put my plant in

1/3 Vermiculite
    2/3 Humus(didn't measure either just went by guess and how it looked)
    1 tbps of Garden Tone
    1/2 Gallon pot
    (this is a single plant stealth grow btw, journal link coming soon)
    Shake it all up for a mintute

Add rain water till moist and done.
    (HEAVY down pour for hours on end so i went and got some free water)

The reason i am trying this mix because i only had 20 bucks and this is what i THINK will work.

Anything else i need or any suggestions to not burn up my seedling.

I see a lot of people using peat moss then lime to balance ph so i kinda wanted to skip that step and do it this way.

So lemme know cause this girl is ready to grow.

Attached Files:

2. vermiculite will hold too much moisture.... add aeration... lava rock, rice hulls... ect..... loosen it up. allow drainage.

3. #3 Whynotbehigh, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
    New mix
    1/4 Peat Humus
    1/2 Topsoil
    1/8 pea gravel
    1/8 Vermculite

Im gonna start it with no nutes and wait about a week till i start adding anything.

Also my pot doesn't have any drainage holes so im not sure if i should poke a few holes in the bottom with a screw or something.

This seedling is still wating on me to pnat it so any advice would be great.

Also cant find any 6700k cfls around for a good price. Im not paying 10 bucks for 2 23 watt bulbs so im probably gonna order some today.

So the first week or so it will be growing 2700k 24/7.

Let me stop here because this is turning into a journal. Any organic cheap advice on cannabis  will help at this point. There is a lot of info but its very dis organized and i wish people double spaced when making a STICKY.(unacceptable to not have proper format when your trying to TEACH me something)

Attached Files:

4. #4 BrassNwood, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2013
    For 1 small plant just go with a bagged soil from home depot get a 5 quart bag of seedling planter mix..

Yard top soil is useless .. vermiculite is the wrong stuff.. you want perlite,pumice,rice hulls... gravel ?? WTH for ?? ballast ??

If your not willing to spend a measly 10 bucks on the correct kelvin color CFLs to veg with why bother at all ??
    Yes the quality 6500k lamps ARE 5 bucks each.. I know as I just replaced all 16 lamps in my veg boxes..
    Part of the cost of growing with CFLs is the short effective life span... really just 1 grow maybe 2 ..

No offence meant but the 2700k don't veg worth a crap.. tried that.. yes you can find that color for a dollar each..

Let me save you some wasted money I had to learn the hard way about CFLs..
    Buy either GE or Sylvania 6500k DAYLIGHT lamps.. do NOT buy the Feit brand daylight.. read the scale on the back it's only 5500k and they don't grow for shit.. 

http://static.grscty.com/uploads/monthly_08_2013/post-645641-0-29707800-1377562239.jpg  
    300 watts of CFLs in a 16x16x16 cube over 6 small plants..

Your going to need more then 2 lamps.... When It's all said and done you'll spend more on CFLs and assorted hardware then buying 2 HID systems

5. #5 Whynotbehigh, Nov 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013

Thanks for the response

I all ready ordered 8 23 watt 6500k bulbs from 1000bulbs so they should be here soon.

It was either the store didnt have them or they were expensive.( I need 6 bulbs and that would have been 30 bucks. Gotem for a little more than half that online)

This girl is all ready sprouting so i hope it comes quick.

Im using vermiculite and pea gravel so it really shouldn't be a big problem.

Also most of the soil at the stores i went to was pre-fertilized and this little thing doesn't need that at all.

But soon i will need nutrients and i think garden tone could work.

1. You most likely will regret that...the microbes in the soil need time to decompose and cycle the organic matter (nutrients) into a stable form; without a proper cycle time you could "burn" your plants. Also, you may end up running out of gas so to speak, halfway through a harvest without providing a source of nutrition.

2. Let's get one thing straight...you are NEVER taught anything. You learn about what you're shown, if you're wise enough to care. 

Take it easy.

7. Im gonna have to agree and disagree with this. Its 50/50 in my opinion. You can show me quantum mechanics all day long and i could be very willing to learn but if i dont have any basic math knowledge im not gonna ever grasp it. Both the student and teacher(the op in a sticky is the teacher) have to put in effort to make the new knowledge stick.

I do my share. Their are thousands of recipes across several forums and for me to read each one and try them individually wouldn't be the best choice. So with a combination of my knowledge and improvisation i wanted to try something different from what i have seen thus far.

I feel like that's whats happening here to most new growers. Most people are so confused and want to grow but have no previous background in gardening let alone anything else hands on like this. A book on growing probably would help cut down on the learning curve of beginning this hobby. Forums are some sort of wierd mush of chatter and diy bongs. Anyway i am willing to learn cause i dont wanna just throw all this shit away.....

For now here is the link to the grow : http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1256830-single-white-rhino-cfl-18-gallon-tub.html

Peace,gonna go rip a couple grams through my MFLB.

8. Nobody can literally give you the knowledge and the practical experience, which is what I was implying.

You seem willing to do the work, so what would you like to learn about?

I'll do my best to provide easy to digest material; there's a lot of "noise" on the internet, so it helps having someone already do the legwork.

9. #9 chippedugliss, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2013
    All the information posted on these forums are written out of charity. I don't think any OP owes anyone anything in reference to people trying to spread 100% free knowledge.

Do you know how many gardening manuals have been written and published in the United States alone? Yowza.

A little effort from your side results in a much better learning experience. I'd tuck that away for your own personal benefit.

10. A couple books that provide a litany of useful information that, imo, is somewhat hard to find online (very spread out and not very thoroughly described in most cases) would be Robert Kourik's "Roots Demystified" and Eliot Coleman's "The New Organic Grower".

Both provide solid foundations to build from, information and practice wise as well as supplying "niche" information and techniques that are otherwise obscure to the layman. 

Hey GiMiK!

Could you elaborate a bit on the information contained in Kourik's book?  Learning about the roll of roots in the grand scheme of things is the next subject I wish to delve into.

I think ill take a look at Roots Demystified as well.  I did, upon your advice GiMiK, skim through The New Organic Grower at my local B&N.  I am sure at some point I will get into it.  The information was a tad overwhelming but in some time....Roots book really interests me though.

Chilly', I just found this... http://www.robertkourik.com/books/roots1.html

14. Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! You just released my inner Ric Flair. 

15. LOL

That's the site I ordered mine from, signed copy even. Good book that delves into the role of roots, root interactions and root growth patterns.