Soil mix question

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by kahgknow, May 27, 2016.

1. Hey everyone I have some plants that need a new home but right now i have no soil mixed up so I'm looking to mix something I can use relatively soon. I'm thinking of making 2 cubic feet or so of the following and was wondering how long it needs to sit before I can plant in it or if I can just go ahead and plant I understand longer is always better but I don't have a lot of time:

5 gal peat moss
    5 gal compost
    7.5 cocoa shell

2 cups crab shell meal

3 cups kelp meal

I don't have rock dust and can't wait for it and I only want to add kelp and crab because they wont heat the soil up like alfalfa or neem might. I plant to use teas and do top dressing with this as well so i dont feel like i need to add anything else. Also is the amount of kelp good for this or should I add more/less? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my A460G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. This really depends on the compost you use, what's in it and is it fresh or aged.
    If its well composted and aged you can plant into it right away. My best advice would be to test it with some cheap fast growing seeds like radish.

Btw, neem meal will not heat up the soil when used at the recommended ratio of 1cup/cf.

Kelp and crab i would go with 1cup each per cf of total soil.

HTH

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the tips. I'll be using Dr earth compost so it sounds like I should be alright. I did not know neem wouldn't heat the soil I figured because its a good nitrogen source that it might. Good to know.

Sent from my A460G using Grasscity Forum mobile app