Soil Mix Question

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Silvereagle420, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Hey guys I'm starting to put together my soil this season and was wondering if I could get some advice from GC.
    I plan on using FFOF as a base and adding a cheap organic potting soil to the top of the soil to prevent burning. I will also use:
    Dr. Earth's
    Alfalfa Meal 2-1-2
    Bat Guano 10-3-1
    Kelp Meal 0.6-0.5-2.5
    And EWC 1-0-0. I'll add the ewc to the cheap potting soil also, for planting. For aeration I'll add lava rock. I have a garden store near me that I can buy only the most common of ingredients, but any input is greatly appreciated! :wave:

2. I want to get this soil cooking asap, can anybody please give me some suggestions?

3. need any lime?

maybe some those water crystals

4. #5 Silvereagle420, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2012
    I'll be able to water them as much as they need, but I'd rather use enough EWC to neutralize the soil ph than using lime.
    Do I need to add any rock dust for the soil's microbial life, or will the Ocean Forest have enough in it if I cut it by using, say, 50% FFOF, 25% potting mix w/o rock dust, and 25% native soil?

5. I went to the nursery and bought 3 bags of black dirt, 1 bag of cow manure and dr earths alfalfa meal, kelp meal, and bat guano. I was surprised to walk over to the FFOF to see the price for 1.5 cf changed from $14 to $29.99!!!
    I'll go to another nursery monday and buy 4 of the small ffof bags because they don't stock the 1.5's.
    I also collected about 3 pounds of earthworm castings from my backyard. The nursery only sells Wiggle Worm, and it's $15 for only 1 pound! Nevertheless I'm optimistic for this soil. Three pounds really doesn't look like much next to 160 lbs of soil...

6. I add perlite into my mix also

7. Perlite20%
    High p guano or bone meal for p
    horse manure
    careful alfalfa and high n guano burn so leave towards bottom
    kelp for k

8. Thanks Corto. Instead of perlite I have a bag of red lava rock I'll use. I was hoping that adding ewc would keep the ph near 6.5, or do castings only help with ph if they are used as a top dressing?

9. Hm, so how do you even mix the soil right if you have to make sure guano/alfalfa are at the bottom

10. Lava chips are good too. I dont measure the ph not nec outdiors organics

I plzce the hot stuff at bottom mixed with a bir of peat. The rest is mixed with manure kelp high p guano which dont burn. Simple! Castibngs towatds top

11. Thought you have to premix and let sit outside for 1-2 weeks prior

12. #13 Silvereagle420, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
    Off to get some high p guano!
    My lava rocks are about the size of a thumb, would they need to be broken up into smaller pieces?

13. no i don't anymore but you can. i just place the hotter stuff at the bottom. CHorse manure and chicken in upper half.

14. So basically, instead of premixing u just do that?

Now I get it lol

15. yeah man
    layers down to up
    very bottom:lime
    chicken shit or any other strong fert like seabird guano what I got this year -no chicken this time-). I just barely miux it with some peat
    lower half:kelp, high P guano, horse shit all mixed to peat and lime
    upper half: horse manure and worm castings and peat. Top is just castings and peat/lime to not burn.
    You can also add (I do for variety) some green ferts or slow release ferts.

16. [quote name='"Corto Malteze"']yeah man
    layers down to up
    very bottom:lime
    chicken shit or any other strong fert like seabird guano what I got this year -no chicken this time-). I just barely miux it with some peat
    lower half:kelp, high P guano, horse shit all mixed to peat and lime
    upper half: horse manure and worm castings and peat. Top is just castings and peat/lime to not burn.
    You can also add (I do for variety) some green ferts or slow release ferts.[/quote]

How do u feel about using granular nutes instead of aqueous nutes

17. If you have access to rabbit manure (fresh or composted) you can use it for N without worrying about burning your plants' roots. Furthermore, I have seen MJ grow rather well in almost pure rabbit manure.

18. is there a difference between horse and steer manure? how much steer manure would be too much in a 3x3 hole? two bags way to much?

19. not sure what you mean. I just go to the simplest for my situation, all in the soil mix from the start. Rephrase perhaps

chopshop: cow or steer manure are good but they are "hotter" so leave them at the bottom if you use them or use less in the middle of the hole/pot. Total ferts to the volume of soil is 1/4 imo (or 1/3 max). But place the hotter stuff under so the plant gets to it when it's big and the roots are thick. So I'd say two shovels of the steer manure under.
    The horse manure is good cause it doesn't burn so you can place it in the middle.
    Then at the top there is only castings and some manure for me. Mix these different bags at home lol then just fill her up. Then, just plain water or teas, some top dressings here and there. Ok have a good one.