Soil mix for the Novice

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by hexter19, Apr 27, 2008.

1. I'm trying to put together a soil mix but I want to keep it simple cuz I'm new and I don't have access to any Fox Farm stuff or any thing like that. My local garden centers must have a contract with Miracle Grow cuz that all I can find anywhere!

I have been able to get a hold of 80 lb. of Hyponex pottong soil but it seems very dense. I have 40lb of MG Organic, and plenty of perlite. I also have access to, spangum moss, peat moss, and some lime and maybe worm castings.

I read some of the soil recipes on the site but I cant find all that stuff.

Can I make anything decent with what I have/ can get? I am gonna be transplanting to 3.5 gal pots soon.

2. I recommend Canna Coco Coir, highly.

I started out on this and im on my 4th grow, the root growth is incredible, it holds water well, fights against root disease and all that good shit, not to mention extremely healthy product when flushed before harvest and grown with A+B (two part nutrient made especially for Coco Coir), there is quite a few other nutrients for veg/flowering stages like PK-13/14 n some i cant remember and ofcourse, sticky, smelly beautiful tasting buds.

thing is, its a medium but its Coco Coir, not soil, i can send you a PM with some links to helpful forums, dont wanna promote other places so let me know if your interested n ill find some stuff.

ah and im not sure if you'll be able to get it where you live, its worth looking around for, I got 50L bag for £15, otherwise you'd probably need to order it online.

3. OhFuhQ thanks for the response, but I have never heard of it and I am trying to work with stuff I can find locally due to the cost of getting the amount of soil I need mailed. Thanks though.

Can anyone tell me if I can make a decent mix with what I can get or have? I could maybe order an item or two to add to what I have if need be.

4. Go to a hydro store and whatever guy looks like the biggest drug dealer picks up thats what you should grab. Wont take long for one to go in lol.

But really though I am going to use Fox Farm Anony suggested it and here is a webstie where you can find local cities in you neighborhood.
    http://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/buyfox_consumer_map.html

My bag was 14 bucks.

P.s. the 20 mins I was there 5-7 guys looking like drug dealers picked this same stuff up by liek 5 bags at a time.

5. Yeah I was gonna go to my local hydro store but before I did I researched it online and I heard from a post on this site that it was HOT. So I don't feel comfortable going there. Thats why I have been stuck with Home Depot.

6. Which site is hot? How hot could it be?
    FFOF FTW!

7. i pretty much only frequent the local "big box" home stores (where you're just another face buying garden supplies :D).

this grow i used the following mix (all bought from lowe's, HD, or wally world): expert potting soil mix (dolomite lime already in there), black cow steer compost, mushroom compost, worm castings, and a little blood meal (to add nitrogen). i planted most of the plants with a mix of the above, and they have done fantastic so far. i tried one plant with just the potting soil and mushroom compost, and it seems to be growing slower than the others (but is still healthy)..

i also picked up some yard lime that has a nice mix of minerals in it for when the soil inevitably turns more acidic. now if i can only find an inexpensive ph meter, i'll be set!

8. Maryland Hydroponics so I hear from a post on this site.

9. I just dont get it! Everyone talks about their Lowe's, HD's, Walmarts etc. having all this stuff! My area stores do not carry all these things. I was able to get Hyponex potting soil from Walmart. Other than the things I listed in the 1st post they dont have anything else unless it is MG products. And Walmart does not have daylight rated bulbs above (13w) 40w equiv.

That is why I made the post to see if anyone had any suggestions on what items I could buy online that I could add to what I have (listed in the 1st post) that I could order online that isnt gonna cost $100+ to ship to me. Shipping 80+ pounds of Fox Farms soil doesnt seem practical

10. I also have limited access to most of the things recommend here.
    I am using potting soil, mixed with worm castings, perlite and vermiculite and it works fine...

11. What you have is great to base out of. You may want to check your local agro-feed services to find some extras (although I'd be surprised if you can't find them at a dept. store) like guano, blood meal and bone meal, and some blackstrap molasses at the health food store. You could then put together a mix of peat moss, perlite, worm castings, blood & bone meal, and crushed/powdered lime. In terms of what concentration, you can play with it. Just take a container (I used an old cooler), put a good amount of peat moss (60 - 75% of total volume of growing medium desired), add 15-30% perlite, a full cup of powdered lime, a full cup of worm castings, 1/2 cup each bone and blood meal. Moisten with 1 gallon of water with 1 tbsp of molasses - don't oversaturate. Let the soil sit for 2 weeks, stirring it up every day, then use for planting. Every second watering you could use guano/worm casting/molasses tea for your nutrients (use appropriate guanos according to which cycle - veg or flower - you are on). Then smoke your organic chronic...

... then sign the "Somebody Start an Organic Thread" petition. :D

Enuff

12. Thanks a bunch for the help seedling4life and Enuff4All2Share!

Enuff4All you didnt mention anything in your mix for the Hyponex potting soil. Should I not use that? Also would the guano/worm casting/molasses tea be enough nutrients by itself? And lastly could ou explain or direct me to someplace to explain a bit further about the "appropriate guanos for the different cycles"

13. I didn't mention any brands in particular as I'm not advocating one brand of potting soil/peat moss over any other (I always used generic sphagnum peat). If you have some pro grade stuff, you can't go wrong... as long as you have some sort of potting soil mix to make up the 60-75% of substrate I recommended. In order for it to be truly organic, you'll need to see the certification. My version of "organic" is probably better classified as naturally sourced, because I don't specifically buy certified brands. The teas should be enough nutes for your grow, but you may need some secondary or trace minerals (your plants will tell you if you're missing something - take a look at this for organic nutrient sources... http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/87291-homemade-fertilizer.html). As far as different guanos are concerned, some are higher in Nitrogen (N) content (better for vegging), some are higher in Phosphorus (Ph) content (better for flowering). Just look at your N-P-K numbers, it'll tell the story.

Enuff

14. Awesome! Thanks for clearing it all up dude! Your Great!

15. North Florida always gets the low end of the stick in florida, I might as well live in Alabama, we don't have shit here.

16. you must overcome adversity and use what you got available to heal the weed ailments of your area. ;)