Soil mix and dolomite lime alternatives

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by JamesMass, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Hello guys,
    I'm new here and was wondering if you guys could help me out with with my problem.
    Well I live on an island in the Bahamas and here it's hard to get good ingredients to grow with, so I'll have to use what's available to me. My biggest problem right now is that I'm using peat moss as my base and there's no where on the island to get dolomite lime. I have a bag of hydrated lime but I heard that it's very difficult to work with n can burn roots easy. Is it possible to use eggshells and wood ash to adjust my ph or is it ok to crush up some limestone rock for outside and use it in the mix. If not can someone tell me how to properly use the hydrated lime. I'm growing outside guerilla grow in 5 gallon pots. It would also be helpful if someone could tell me how much of each of these ingredients would I have to put in a 5 gallon pots.

I'll be using:
    Premier sphagnum peat moss
    Black hen chicken manure
    Perlite
    Sand
    Eggshells
    Banana peels
    Used Coffee grounds
    (Wood ash or crushed limestone)

I'll be fertilizing my plants with urine and wood ash
    Veg mix - 51ml urine, 1.54g wood ash
    Flower mix - 45ml urine , 2.5g wood ash

2. On the island you might be able to do oyster shell flour instead of lime...maybe some crab or shrimp shell meal you could make.  I would suggest getting some worm castings in your mix if available...good luck!!

3. Thank for replying. I'll try the sea shells, is it 1 cup of crushed sea shells to 1 cubic foot peat? Just for information purposes is it ok to drill into a limestone rock and use the dust in my soil mix

4. can anyone help me out?

5. #5 patriofarmer, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    I'd go conservative on the coffee grounds if lower ph is a concern.  I think the limestone dust would be a benefit in moderation.  The wood ash is very alkaline, be careful with this as well.  Here's a link to Perdue University consumer  horticulture that explains a bit more.  I'm not experienced with them, so I learned a bit from this.  http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/woodash.html

Just my personal opinion, but the urine is the one ingredient I would eliminate.  It's negatives outweigh the nutrients involved, especially on an island.  No need for higher salinity.

Your going to compost the bananas, coffee, manure, and eggshells right?  I didn't catch that.

6. Ya a cup should do ok...make sure it is granulated as much as possible and limestone dust should do just fine.  What I didn't catch the first time was that you're growing outside in 5gal pots...imo that's way too small try and do 15-20gal minimum you'll thank me when you harvest...I use 5's inside.