Soil growers, When do you transplant?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by phyking, Jun 26, 2011.

1. When you are going from a 2 gal to about 4-5 gal when would YOU transplant?

I was thinking about when I go to 12/12, but I needed to trans one of my girls early(or so I thought) and she was way rootbound. She was only like a month old and I've always done it at the time i switsh my lighting, but now I'm thinking otherwise

Edit: I'm doing scrog so my veg period is longer but I am reffering to norm grows

2. i transplant before the 12/12 switch.....

3. i never transplant. i would start planting your plants in 5 gallon buckets so you dont have to transplant.

4. Ummm that sounds like a shity idea. The soil will get old all the nutes will be used up, by the last month your going to eat through your nutes/additives. Not to mention the horrid salt build-ups you would get, granted you can flush but it still had that little period of time where it was being poisoned by them taking away from your bud growth. And I dont mind transplanting, I can do it perfectly everytime

5. its NOT a shitty idea! most growers transplant to bigger pots so the plant could have a good root system! i've grown some plants without ever transplanting them, had a very nice harvest and haven't had a problem yet!

6. I'm not saying that it wont work, I'm saying that it will take up too many of my resources just to maintain 5 gals of soil throughout a whole grow, when I can just transplant and use maybe half of the nutes you're using. Once you start getting a perpetual when your using up your additives left and right, it becomes a numbers game, and if I can average my money spent to the lowest it can go, then overall I will be saving many dollars.

7. I transplant as soon as the root ball is strong enough to not fall apart when I pull it out.. hope that makes sense haha

8. Lol dude i have been growing for 20 years (on and off) and as long as you use sledgehammer your will be fine. transplanting is a waste of time. you stun your plants growth for 36 hours min. My grow is all about efficiency because i have 2 jobs. i cant be transplanting it is a waste of me and my plants time. Also you must of never started your plants in 5-7 gallon buckets. I have done both and i do not notice any significant changes. so the only transplanting i do is from clone to 5-7 gallon pots.

9. Maybe if your soil gets f'ed up when you transplant it stunts it, but I've never had that problem and my plants have never been stunted. Ofcourse its more efficient(easy) to just keep it in one pot, but its much more costly. I don't know if you read my last post, but do. I don't care if it takes the extra 5 mins to transplant, it saves me money and thats what I care about, how much overhead it takes since it runs 24/7 all year long for however many years I will do this. All the electricity, all the nutes, all the extras, if I can cut down the my cost I'll have saved more money in the end then you have.

So I don't really care if you don't transplant, for whatever reason you're doing this, I don't call this efficient I call this ignorant. If you have been doing something wrong for twenty years it doesn't make it right. And I'm not even saying that you can't do it, I know it can be done, but for the little time it takes me to put one clump of soil into a bigger pot, I will accumulate thousands of dollars over years just by doing this one simple step. And I don't know if you've noticed but I'm asking when do the people of grasscity transplant, not do you transplant.

10. first of all, in my past experiences and others that i know, we've all SAVED money and time by just using 1 pot for the entire life of the plant! idk why the fuck u are calling it ignorant, because if its not hurting or stressing the plant in any way, then it is clearly not ignorant! and the soil cannot get fucked up when its switched to another pot so idk where u heard that from and also when u transplant dont u need to buy more soil and possibly another pot??!!! i am pretty sure that there are A LOT more experienced growers than me or you that will tell that its not ignorant. i have always saved money by not transplanting so what ever you have been doing is wrong and ignorant!

11. and i'm not saying that u shouldn't transplant, i still do but most of the time i dont! all my plants seem to be growing in fine conditions with or without moving to bigger pots! they all have the same feeding schedule, water schedule, light schedule etc etc and all are between 16-20 inches! i moved 1 yesterday to a bigger pot only because the 1 that it was in was too small for it. oh and i 4got to tell you, 1 of my plants is in a pot of soil that i used last year and is the same size as the rest of them..... and to answer your question, usually when i see the roots coming from the bottom or when i feel the plant needs more room

12. #12 Deleted member 97913, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    so as apposed to buying one 7 gallon pot.. you buy a few various ones, soil mix for all, and take the time to transplant every plant.. saving time and money.. eh.. :rolleyes:

dont be ignorant , accept you are wrong.. the plant grew in the fucking ground naturally. it didnt naturally get transplanted three times.. obviously digging it up and re planting it is going to shock it somewhat.. dont be silly. :p

Edit: and when i pre-mix my soil it will easily last the whole season.. if not i topically add light mixes of what i originally used and mix them in carefully. if it washes through from the middle out, itll bring the nutrients from the top down, no?

13. explain how you are saving money buy using a bunch of other 1-7 dollar pots?

14. OH MY GODDD READ MY OTHER POSTS. It's not about the pots, that's a one time buy, I'm talking about all the extra nutes that YOU use to maintain the same level of your soils vitality that I use wich is much less. If your using fox farm products then you go through big bloom like crazy. If you transplant then you essentualy spliting the nutes that you arew using in half. So to put it in a way that a five year old will under stand, after a course of time you water about lets say every 4 days, everytime you water, in the drainage there are nutes and micro nutes, wich are hard to replicate fully unless you buy yet another supplement, wich are being pulled out, EVERY TIME YOU WATER. SOOOOOO if you use the same pot throughout the whole grow then all those nutes are long gone near the end, MEANING you willl have to use more nutes, and for all of you who arent that goood at math more nutes=MORE MONEY. The pots I use are one solo cup(about 5 cents each) whoopdeedo One 2 gal bucket ( $2 from home depot) and a 5 gal($3 at home depot) X hoever many plant you want to grow. $5.05 dollaras later And whattya know, IM SET FOR LIFE!! yaayayaya

Please sir I am right from every angle on this and I will shoot you down every time you come up to bat

15. #15 phyking, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2011

And once again, I DO NOT DOUBT IT WILL WORK

And who is digging up a plant? When I transplant I get the whole entirty of the soil in one try. There are no roots broken there is no shock with mine.You wanna know how?? I put a hole in the bottom of the pot big enough to fit a finger in. When it comes time to transplant I just water wait a few days and when I poke my finger into that hole, the whole thing comes out. OK? And im not talking about growing outside, I know you dont have to transplant but even a farmer will tell you they have to replenish there soil every harvest because the plant has used up all the nutes. And when farmers are done and leave that land it is VERY hard to grow in it again. You have to use more fertilizerAnd no it wont what happens the next time you water, the "middle" goes to the bottom and then one more time its out. Plus those extras you pre mixed in still cost money

16. Now on to you, Ok so I didnt say that it fucks up the soil when you transplant that is what the other guy is saying. And you are not saving money, And for the last time I know it will work I know you will get the same result but you will NOT save money. You can not unless you use the same nute ratio as I would wich you cant, well you can but the product will be shit. So its not the pots you can use those for an eternity, theyre plastic, its the $20 a bottle nutes or $50 a qt that is probably the most costly thing next to electricity. I can GARUNTEE I use less nutes than you and get the same exact outcome as someone who only uses one pot their entire grow. And I am not even saying that youll be saving a huge amount of money, but when you are using nutes for years with a perpetual grow all these couple of dollars I am saving adds up. How am I wrong It is logic, it is comon sence it is right.

17. i usually go about a week before i'm ready to switch to 12/12.

also, never have had a plant stress on me after transplanting. (unless it was already root bound beforehand.. but then that's my fault for waiting).. the morning after the transplant, they are always perky and growing fine.

18. August I love you man.

19. #19 snax4daze, Jun 27, 2011
    during an Advance Nutrient Q and A segment there's an argument made for not transplanting....while it's not explicitly laid out, one can surmise that if upsizing a pot would require an upsizing of the ratio of nutes to soil then one would spend more in nutes with a transplant....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiSoa6b5fZg&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiSoa6b5fZg&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

20. #20 phyking, Jun 27, 2011

Ok so this video is not about transplanting, and is not what I am reffering to. He's just saying that With a 3 gal pot compaired to a 5 gal pot, and the root sytem can thrive normally in both without becoming root bound, that you would use the same amount of nutes for both. you would use the more water but the concentration of the solution is weaker since you'll need more water for the 5 gal There is no mention of transplanting. He is not talking about what your water takes out in its drainage. This is what I am talking about, that over time your soil is drained of its nutes that are allready in there. So if you are using One 5 gal pot for your whole grow, the nutrients will deplete thus having to add more nutes then if you just transplant and the plant gets a good boost of fresh nutrient rich soil about half way through your grow. Meaning I will use less nutes compaired to the person who used one pot the whole grow.

So this video is saying that a plant uses the same amount of nutes because the plant can only handle a certain amount of nutes comparing with a 3 and 5 gal bucket. It's about the ratio you would use for diferent sized buckets, a bigger bucket will need more water but the same nutes.

And you are saying that you are going to use more nutes when you up to the bigger pot, but the person who didn't transplant used the bigger pot the whole grow