Soil from Home Depot or Wal-Mart?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CFLdorm, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Hello all,
    I'm getting all my equipment from Home Depot and Wal-Mart, so I figure I might as well get my soil/ferts there too. I know the best mix involves perlite, worm castings, builders sand, pre-mix of (12-6-6?), etc. But is there a packaged soil that is like that already? If not, whats the least amount of mixing I will have to do? haha. And price wise?
    Much love

2. At home depot they have a type of soil that perfect for it, its nect to the grass seeds and such, I forgot what its called but its in a white bag with green writing and cost $15 In Canadian here so probably $13 USD

3. does it have fertilizer in it? I mean nutrients.. or whatever?

4. Do they have "Supersoil" "Organic Mix" at your HomeDePot.( I used it for years in BIG Organic Opps)..... I also picked up some local organic composted soil mix at a Home DePot over on the coast when we were there last week for the Holidays...It's called "Cedar Grove" " Potting Soil"..it looks really good ...Time will tell

5. doesnt it have to have like sand and perlite and lots of nitrogen to work?

6. You won't find worm castings or soil with worm castings mixed in at WalMart or Home Depot. And while you will find soil in those places with ferts already mixed in you do not want that.

This time of year it might be hard to find what you need, but look for a pure organic potting soil. It might be 85% or so organic matter and 15% or so sand, that's fine.

If you want worm castings (and as far as I am concerned you definitely do) get them off eBay, try kdfarms, or try a local nursery, real garden center, or hydro shop. Then mix it yourself. Or, buy a premium soil like FoxFarm that has worm castings already in it but for a considerably higher price than buying separately and mixing your own.

My typical mix is:
    40% organic soil
    30% sphagnum moss
    20% worm castings
    10% perlite

I might adjust that if the organic soil has a lot of peat moss already in it. Sometimes I throw some sand in as well if the soil didn't have it pre-mixed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. [quote name='toastybiz']You won't find worm castings or soil with worm castings mixed in at WalMart or Home Depot.

Both Soil mixes I mentioned contain "Castings" not enuff for my tastes but they are in there ...and Both Mixes were purchaced a Home DePot...........:wave:

8. Buds,

I had a horrible experience using Foxfarm Potting Soil. I lost at least a month of growth and ended up repotting to MG. I have three bags of Foxfarm sitting in my garage and you're welcome to them. To give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they were just old and decrepit.

DJ

9. wal-mart once carried "sam's choice" pre-ferted soil and it was perfect. i supplemented it with blood and bone meal. just make sure your seedlings are about 11 days old with pre-ferted mixes, or you could have some problems.

10. Interesting, never found that before myself. I'll keep looking.

11. Brrrrrr....it's cold outhere I'll post a pic of the Bag in the A.M............Are ya' on the west coast U.S.A.?.....I travel all over and I believe I have seen mixes with Castings as far over as PHX,Az.

WARNING>>>>>>Wal-Mart Soil has some weird things in it Shredded Railroad ties,sheetrock,small pieces of trash bags 1/4"x1/4",Styrofoam , shredded shingles , to name a few of the things in 3 bags we went thru

12. that sounds like stuff i've found in pro-mix.

13. what the fuck? why would any of that shit be found in potting soil? i mean.. isn't that like kinda hard work to go find all these things and fucking just randomly add it to potting soil? makes no damn sense unless they're just collecting garbage and adding it to save money or something i dunno, but fucked up none the less.

14. i doubt if anyone would amend their product with trash, on purpose. sounds like crap employees to me.

15. ive posted this before but at homedepot their is a soil call supersoil, its about 4 to 5 bucks a bag but the only thing is that imo it doesn't give my plants enough o2 so i add perlite in the soil and it worked out perfect.

16. I'm using EKO Premium Potting soil from Home Depot, and so far so good at 10 days in flower!