soil choice for speaker grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CantFindAGoodUserName, Mar 18, 2016.

1. hello everyone. I currently have a speaker box grow going and the only soil i had was top soil so i started my seedlings in that because i'm a noob and got excited lol. ive grown a few outdoor crops and always just threw it in the ground. this is my first indoor grow and i dont have many soil options
    i'm limited to walmart and canadian tire. can somebody please tell me the best soil i could buy from either of these stores? also you guys should probably know im trying to do this cheap as possible i only have $120 invested running 2 pc fans for exhaust at the top of the box and a hole in the bottom for an intake. for my lights I have a power bar screwed to the top of the case running 6 23w 6500k daylight cfls for a total of 138 watts. i had 7 but i broke one and will be replacing it today with a softwhite 2700k. i will be flowering about 2 weeks into veg due to height restrictions. i want to have 3-4 plants in there growing one or two fat buds each.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Don't you have the internet? Your not limited, i order my soil from amazon. If they have fox farms ocean forest there that's what i use with some perlite in it it's pretty good soil.

• Like Like x 1
  3. was trying to avoid the internet just because of waiting i don't have very much grow space and the veg period cannot be longer than 3 weeks i want to transplant them when they get their first set of full sized leaves and start flowering a week after that

• Like Like x 1
  4. i should have done more prep work but i gues this is how we all learn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. There's a wealth of info online. I'm a beginner too, and looked at soil. The one I see pop up in most guides/videos is Fox Farm, as @CantFindAGoodUserName already suggested. It's a good soil for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey man you have nothing to worry about. Cannabis is a weed and grows almost anywhere. Get soil and water and you have more lights than you need. Check out my grow journal by clicking my signature ( Super Micro Grow ).

Go around your house and see if you can find soil from other plants to use. That's probably one of the best soils already.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Isnt this a bad idea because of possible fungus and other plant virri in the soil?

• Like Like x 1
  8. As long as you have a fan and those leaves are blowing and your taking care of your plants regularly. I don't see that being a problem. If you have little pests eating your plant just throw a lady bug or 2 on it. They will eat any little mites that may be in the soil or on the leaves.

Keep fungus away by not allowing the humid air to get stale in the box.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I remember my nan used to say this to me when we were gardening as a youth. She'd tell me to go get the ladybugs to put on her plants. Natures wonderful insects to the rescue :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Exactly so. I'm a nature lover myself, I much rather use nature than to use manufactured product.

• Like Like x 1
  11. yeah lady bugs are no issue to find im currently having them infest my house as they do every spring lol its a pain to keep em out so i may aswell put a few in there if i need them i ended up buying a pro mix soil and mixing about 40% pro mix 20% top soil 25% random garden dirt and another 15% clay from the construction yard behind my house i think it should be a good mixture but only time will tell how it truly works out.

12. also more about the box i bought a thermometer and a 4" intake fan when i was getting soil aswell the intake is helping keep the heat down alot the 2 computer fans just didnt have it in them to create the negative pressure i was hoping for should i buy another fan to circulate air inside? or being that its such a small grow and i dont plan on vegging for long should it be fine without a fan?