soil brands

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Rekisito, Oct 15, 2007.

1. I've been doing a bit of research on the forums for the past few weeks and have noticed alot people mentioning fox farm products.

What benefits are there using this over your typical store-bought brands like miracle grow and what-not?

I ask because unfortunately the only garden shops in town are the centers at home depot/lowes.

2. MG soil and the like generally have time-release fertilizers which is not good. They can also have poor drainage among other problems. One type of soil you can look for at lowe's or home depot is ProMix. I had just as good if not better results using the ProMix rather than FoxFarm.

3. Yeah, I saw some ProMix products, I'll have to go back and take a look.

I do remember reading elsewhere about time release soils being problematic, so I will make note to keep away from those.

thanks for the tip.

4. if u can buy online or know where to get it, Canna Coco Coir, read up about it, its somewhere in between soil & hydro, it isnt cheap though.

5. What benefits are there to using that opposed to soil?

I will most likely be ordering off the internet now since all of Lowes products have time release fertz. so I may try some Fox Farm stuff for my first grow.

I will be attempting a CFL grow, so if using a better medium will help the yield then I am all for it.

6. Try Home Depot. The one by my house carries something called Majestic Professional Grow Mix or something like that. It's a mixture of peat moss, vermiculite, and perlite and no added fertilizer. I think it was only $10 and it filled three 5 gallon buckets with a little left over.

7. I'll check it out tomorrow and see what they have again.

Also, this is kinda off topic, but how long will pollen from male plants last? Freezing it help any?

8. i think its really good for beginners, that doesnt mean it'll be lower quality though, it roots like hell, fights against root rot n shit, my best grows have been with this stuff so id recommend it too anybody, everyone ive talked to who uses it just loves the stuff, im gonna forward a PM your way man hold on

9. Personally I don't think FoxFarm is worth the money, but it is a good product. Ocean Forest is probably their most popular soil among MJ growers, and it is 100% organic and comes pre-mixed with a lot of the amendments people would otherwise add like peat moss, worm castings, bat guano, and fish meal. It has no added chemical ferts, though all the animal poop and meal are rich in nutrients.

The benefit is that it's hard to go wrong with FoxFarm, once you shell out the money. There's an old saying in corporate America, no one ever got fired for hiring IBM, and it's kind of the same thing here -- you know you are getting exactly what you need with FoxFarm, and for that some people don't mind paying through the nose.

I get just about the same effect for less than half the cost with a simple mix:
    40% organic potting soil with no added ferts (OK if it has some sand added)
    30% sphagnum moss
    20% worm castings
    10% perlite

All of these but the worm castings can be found at Home Depot for a few bucks. The FoxFam forest humus base probably is richer and finer than the organic potting soil I get at HD, but at about 2 bux for a 40-lb bag I can live with that difference. Worm poop I order off a seller on eBay. You certainly could take this recipe and add bat guano and/or other stuff or modify some other way.