Soil and Nutrients Help!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by derfus420, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Just got my grow set up done with the lights and covering the walls with flat white paint. This is my first grow and I'm only growing one plant for now. I can't order nutrients or soil off the internet, so I'm stuck with what I can pick up at home depot or Lowes. Can anybody offer me any advice on soil to get and nutrients to feed it with? I've educated myself pretty well I'd say with the lighting and whatnot, but I'm somewhat clueless when it comes to the soil and nutrients I need. Thanks everybody!

2. Try a mix specifically made for seedlings to start out with. As for a soil to use later, I'd say just get something that doesn't have slow-release fertilizers...they can give your plant nute burn.

You can use bone meal, blood meal, and tomato plant food for your grow. All of those can usually be found at Home Depot or Lowe's.

3. thanks! Generally where can bone meal be found there? I was wondering all around Lowe's today looking for something like that but I didn't exactly know what to look for

4. #4 dayjob, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2012
    I don't recommend confusing yourself too much right now Derf. Start basic, just pick up some potting mix that has a low N-P-K rating for your seedlings, any will do really. During the first couple of weeks they most likely have all the nutes they need from the mix. Once a couple of true leaves develop you can begin looking for some fertilizer.
    Trust me dude! Good luck BUD! :smoke:

BTW, I recommend foliar feeding fertilizers when you begin experimenting. I have seen really nice results through this method. It also prevents you from messing up your pH drastically.

5. Thanks for the reply dude. Does 20-10-10 sound about right? I've been doing a lot of reading for a couple of weeks to stop myself from making a mistake I could've avoided and I've came across this being somewhat of a good ratio.

6. i want to begin a grow outside soon have happy frog powdered nutrients and fox farm soil is dolomite lime a good add to soil?

7. Not to sure about growing outdoors Growboy. Hit up some of the outdoor forums, plenty of helpful info on there.

8. That sounds a little extreme for a seedlings that have just germinated. If you overdue the nutrient solutions you will burn the plant. I know because I recently caused nute burn to my flowering lady.

Good luck!

9. Miracle Grow organic potting soil is a decent base, nothing wrong with it. Some organic growers don't like the "waste derived" arsenic levels, but it's half of what you consume during a regular meal.

MG organics aren't bad, they've just got a bad rep with envirofags.