Soil and Nutes...my head is spinning, need some help

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CurtChronic, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Alright, first off I was looking at the Fox Farm Ocean Forest because it seems to be the name that comes up most when I am searching for info about soil. Other people suggest for a first time grower (like myself) to go with something that doesn't have nutrients in it because the FFOF tends to burn the plant.

I'm looking for some guidance here...all I know is that I would prefer to go fully organic if possible. I need to know what soil and what fert/nutes I should look into. If it sounds like I am looking for someone to do the thinking for me, I kind of am, I'm jumping back in forth and not coming to any conclusions on what I should get and I'd rather not "guess" and end up needing to re-purchase something because what I got wasn't appropriate.

Any and all help is appreciated.

2. with the exception of light worrior,all of fox farm's soil products seem hot to me,other people have no issues with it.
    so why not try a light worrior/ocean forrest mix? mix them 50-50,and maybe perlite in there if needed,say 10%. this mix has worked for me.
    for nutes, try the earth juice line up. bubble water for 24 hours,then add the nutes,bubble for another 24 hours before use.this will keep for about a week before going sour,and unusable.
    something else to remember is ocean forrest is not totally organic,but happy frog is.happy frog can be used in the same proportions as ocean forrest in the above mix.
    earth juice if used correctly will also provide a better tasting product than the fox farm nute line up,as i have found.just be sure to use correctly,dry and cure also plays a major role in the outcome of your product. good luck and happy growing.

3. You might try looking around at any local soil companies as well. It is FAR cheaper to buy a yard of some bulk organic soil that it is a bunch of bags. Plus Foxfarm is pretty crapy in my opinion and nothing but one product they make is organic. Notice that most of their soils and ferts say "organic and natural" which doesn't mean jack, and do not have an organic certification. Plus you can tell by looking at the ingredients that most of what they make is not where even close to organic. From what I have seen their products tend to have a lot of excess salt and will cause your pH and EC to get out of wack and can cause lock-out. Do yourself a favor and look into buying something from a real ag company - you will save money and get better results.