SOG yields under t5 lights

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Refeerkid, Sep 2, 2016.

1. I'm just wondering if anyone's tried I micro SOG using T5s? And by micro I mean solo cup small.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  2. hi.

not too many ppl sog'ing under t-5's ... there's much better lighting choices out there. Have you seen drbudgreengenes sog with cfls? Do a search and check out his work..it might be what you're looking for.

3. Hey thank you for the reply,
    While I was going to go with CFLs originally i was swayed not to due to the fact that I only have 2 ft of growing room for my plants and CFLs produce a lot of heat which will make height growth a lot more rapid and may even burn my leafs or bud. I was also thinking led before I found out it would cost 2000$ to do my area in lights. Any suggestions for an area 5 ft long 2 ft wide and 3 ft tall I have two areas like that and a budget of 800$

4. same wattage of cfls won't put out more heat then t-5's. Unless you remote mount the ballast to make the difference. Think of cfls bulbs as small t-5's twisted into a corkscrew.

You might be best with a few led panels or a few lower wattage hps's....maybe 3x 250's in a row. Have you considered building a cob led fixture? it's pretty easy and you could go with some budget components to keep it cheep. I'm pretty huge on cobs at the moment. Growmau5 has some great cob diy videos on youtube if you're interested.

I think cfls and other flouros can do ok for flower...but anything over 200w or so should really step up to a better light source. You start to get some serious diminishing returns when running tons of small bulbs.

5. #6 Refeerkid, Sep 6, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    What would be better 4 100watt CFLs

Or 2 4ft 4bulb T5 set up

6. I'm not sure...I'd check out the lumens per watt of each and compare.
    Think of it this way..with cfls you need around 100w per square foot to flower, led bulbs and cheap panels -about 60-70w psf, hps about 50w psf, and cobs about 30w psf. Your set up will grow buds with either t-5 or cfls..but I feel like you'd be running 2x as much wattage (and not saving on heat or money) and get lower yields per area.

there's plenty of cheap led panels out there that could fill your area for less then 800$. I don't know where you got the 2000$ price on leds....I could diy some cobs..or even buy quality cob panels for much less.

7. The watts on the T5 is 432watts per area or 400w CFL. Also on Amazon they go for 500$ up for one over 300w and that's 2 feet long I'm in Canada and can't get access to the .com site it sucks. But what's a cob panel is that the homemade led panels I've been hearing about or is that what you call the led panel itself?

8. cob leds are the diy lights with the large chips and heatsinks. cob is a type of led 'chip on board' ..it's like a bunch of little leds all wired together into one chip. I have a link in my sig to a small cob build I did a few weeks ago. Check out growmau5's diy cob videos on youtube..it explains everything way better then I could.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Any recommendations on pots? Since I only have 2ft for the plant to grow I was thinking solo cups or 1/2 gallon pots... Do you by chance have any experience with using such a small pot? Will I need to trim the roots? I know I have vegged plants 3 ft tall in solos but never flowered them

10. yeh I flower clones in small containers...just an inch or 2 or a few extra days of veg can make a huge difference. I like fabric pots for anything about a gallon or larger...you can always trim them down so they're not as tall. If you have ~20" of growth area to the lights you probably wanna use about 8-10" tall containers.
    I never trim the roots, just don't overveg them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thank you so much for the advice man

12. #13 nugwings777, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2016
    you will get better results growing fewer scrogging .iv'e watched a lot of youtube videos in the end only the tops get nice size the bottom part of the bud won't get is fat .That's if you don't top them .They have to be even in height to the light .I got a T5 2ft but don't use it cause heat is a little bit to much .Eventually I will try it .That's why I'd go with taking a chance of getting a male, but have a few spare plants ready . and grow a few big ones .And keep topping it keeps the canopy even .That's if you take the t5 method .Or go with led like stated above. i would try the led cob way also cause my heat problems

13. would you ever use more than six cob bulbs .I can see the yield is pretty awesome already .But have you thought about it would .Could heat become a issue with that?

14. I'm not sure what you mean exactly by cob bulbs..but, more light is only good up to a certain point where you hit diminishing returns...at that point it's better to increase the size of the grow rather then add more light. I really prefer the diy cob light now cuz they only require about 30w per square foot..as opposed to fluoros which need about 100w psf to compete...but still can't compete cuz of all that extra heat and electric.

• Like Like x 1
  15. daaaaamn just saw bad ass kit on youtube it's at amazon watch "LED Grow Lights Kit 2014 DIY light for your plants - bulbs be installed seperately and easily" is this a diy type set up?I love the look

16. Im not exactly sure what to call that, but it is not what bongsauce is referring to.

If you check out some of the content posted on youtube by Growmau5, you will get a better idea of what a diy led panel could/should look like.

• Like Like x 1
  17. yeh what ryan said.

18. t5 isnt good but cfl? pass me what youre smoking....

19. sorry I didn't mean to imply that cfl was better then t-5's. I think they're close to equal, but definitely both on the low end for efficiency when it comes to flowering.
    I mentioned drbud's work because he has a great system for mini sog, scalable to any size or lighting option.