SoG Super Silver Haze and White Widow Max

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by Ghost Grow, Mar 13, 2010.

1. #81 Ghost Grow, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2010
    So plants have been in 12/12 for about five days total and they are getting sexy!

Final results for those of you too in a hurry:

3 White Widow females 4 White Widow males
    3 SSH probably female, but not definite
    1 Big Indy is a female!

White Widows:

Number 1:
    [​IMG]

Number 2:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number 3:
    [​IMG]

Silver Hazes:

Number 1:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Number 2:
    [​IMG]

The third one looks 'bout the same. More pictures when they show their sex more. Right now, still unconfirmed, although they look like they might be female.

Big Indy:

[​IMG]

Confirmed female, although not showing it quite as clearly. So many budsites now. Was topped and LST'd.

Males:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Family Portrait:
    [​IMG]

The males are already yanked and out of the grow room. I'm going to take a blender to them tomorrow , but I'll try doing some quiso hash, although doubt anything will come of it. Any idea what to do with these?

Tomorrow I'm going to go ahead and transfer all my babies to big pots to give them more soil. They've been cramped for a long time now. After the transplant and they are doing okay, I'll hit them with another dose of Open Sesame nutes.

Let me know what y'all blades think.

2. Awesome update dude :D:D :wave: Mine took almost 2 fooking weeks of 12/12 to show thier sex. Looks like you got some 12/12 stretch going on :wave:

3. can you take a pic of the spot where you fimmed? i want to do this but am afraid ill mess it up

4. yea dude, this is a photo of it right afterward.
    [​IMG]

i know that's not super clear and you can barely see, so i'll tell you how i did it. i was also scared because i've seen guides, but i knew i only had one chance to do it right and didn't want to fuck it up.

you find the top growth shoot. usually you know how that's got several leave layers already nestled in each other? you carefully peel back the other layers until the very middle one. then you grab those shoots 1/3 of the way from their top and pinch that off. where i FIM'd worked GREAT! i am fimming from now on. i'll include macros from the next round of photos, but it's night in the grow room right now. anyway, instead of just branching into two (like with topping), with fimming it branched into four and grew back faster and quicker! fimming is definitely the way to go. less stressful to the plants and better results on the hormone division it seems like. not sure why this.

5. Dang man, looking good, I'm really jealous of your ladies, none of my SSH even germed.

6. Ah, so budding is coming along. Sativas are still late to show, but the white widow is fine.

However, I think I might possibly have a hermie on my hands:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/sick-plants-problems/591481-hermy-quick.html#post7346342
    That one grew really quickly and showed sex first with plenty of definitely female buds, but I can't tell if the football shaped things are more buds on the way or pollen sacks!

[​IMG]

Obvious female part:
    [​IMG]

Questionable part:
    [​IMG]

The other widow's looking good:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one that I fim'd is a four-headed hydra, but poor bottom growth.
    [​IMG]

Although they are starting to yellow and drop leaves from the bottom. I tried adding a little cal/mag and a decent fert, and they also just transferred soil, so I think they'll have plenty to eat in that. I'm afraid to nute-burn them, but I want that yellowing to stop. I think it's slowed.

Big Indy is getting huge and definitely female all over:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sativas, as I mentioned, are exhibiting some stretch and light burn at the tips now that I lowered the lights, but still looking alright. Waiting for them to really show sex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Family portrait:
    [​IMG]

Hit me up with any advice or tips. If you know if that first one is a hermie, let me know as soon as possible. I don't want to put it back in with the others if it is, but if it isn't, leaving it out of this light cycle could be damaging.:eek:

7. :eek: You got male bits dude :(

[​IMG]

Kill any males or hermies before you get pollen man :wave:

8. good shit bro!!! glad to see everything is going well!! grow it good and make sure u smoke a bud for me when its all said and done!!

9. Unfortunately, my biggest White Widow has come down with a case of spider mites. I tried soaking the leaf undersides in a vegetable pesticide specifically for killing spider mites, but the problem continued even worse today, so I made a mix of half and half rubbing alcohol and water and soaking the plant in that spray, making sure to get all leaf undersides. It seems to have killed the mites, but I'm not sure about eggs and hopefully this will keep them in check partially. Unfortunately, I caught this problem pretty late on, and it's hard to fix it now. I can't get lady bugs or mantis eggs here, but I'll be sure to keep some in the next grow, just to keep this problem from coming up.

[​IMG]

Not terrible leaf damage, but certainly not great either and getting closer to the buds.

[​IMG]

Fortunately, no other plants are really showing spider mite signs and I can't find any under the leaves, so hopefully I can keep this in check. Big Indy is doing great, although it's somewhat wilted here, with budsites all over it. Covered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other white widow is okay with the four heads from fimming:

[​IMG]

Then the silver haze are doing well, although I'm still not sure on the sex. At the tops, they are all starting to get firm and have slowed growth, but I can't tell yet. Do you see what I'm talking about?

[​IMG]

What's going on there? It almost looks like it could be male, but I have no experience with sativas.

10. Hey Ghost :wave:

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about the spider mites Ghost :( that really sucks! Nasty little fookers and can be easily spread! You'll need to spray down the entire plant (tops and bottoms of the leaves, stems and stalk), I'd spray them all.

They prefer a "drier" climate from what I've read.
    What's the RH in the grow room?

Can you get Hot shots no pest strips and azamax? Both will help you get rid of those little buggers too, worth checking out at least IMO ;)

The SH looks male from what I can see in the pic.
    *Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.*

Good luck! :smoke:

11. Those mites suck mate :(

And I'd agree with doin, that looks like a male to me.

GL dealing with those mites, is it just that one plant that's infested? If you're able to quarantine it in a different area until you've dealt with the mites that would be a good idea.

12. Ah, okay I'm going to turn the dehumidifier off and let the RH go back up. The buds are young enough it shouldn't cause rot or mold especially for a few days. I also sprayed them down really good and am going to hit them again tomorrow all over. I'll try keeping them misted, too. I don't really want to quarantine it because I don't want to slow it's growth down by interrupting the photo period and not having it under the light...but I'm keeping it a little separate and the silver haze has good immunity to spider mites, so hopefully if I keep spraying the ones that don't have anything too and keep my hands and clothes clean enough, this will work out.

I'm thinking of dipping them in a soap bath, especially since the buds are so small, so that I can try to really just end this problem. Thoughts?

Yea upon further inspection, it's definitely male. The other two silver haze haven't shown signs yet, so hopefully they're not. I'll pull that plant from the garden tomorrow. Hahah, it's just hard to watch my babies getting fewer and fewer.:(

13. Thanks for the rep mate!

I've usually found the the males show first and the ladies are a little behind so fingers crossed :)

As for the mites, I've never had to deal with them personally so I'm not best placed to advise. Neem oil seems to work well though by all accounts.

GL mate :hello:

14. #94 handaman, May 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2010
    If the rubbing alcohol seems to be working, I'd say give it a couple days and then reapply, and repeat for a few applications to make sure they're dead.

15. those plants are gettin pretty big.

16. alright, spider mites under control.
    procedure that ended up working:
    -turn off dehumidifier
    -spray leaves every few hours with half water and half rubbing alcohol solution and make sure to get leaf undersides
    -made herbal tea suggested by ed rosenthal at askEd to spray on leaf undersides and keep mites off

buds continued development on the white widow, but turned pretty yellow and spotty at parts...don't know why. i expect some yellowing but not this much.
    also, i think they might be getting light burn, because i didn't want them to stretch and put the light down.

[​IMG]

the smaller four-headed one:

[​IMG]

unfortunately, with the dehumidifier off, mold started growing on the soil of the large indica, so i'm glad to turn it back on again.

big indica looking great and covered in budsites as usual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

finally, it turns out the last silver haze is indeed a female as hairs were exploding out of it today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as of now i have four females going, and the buds are all nice. been giving them open sesame nutes from fox farm mixed with a dash of vegetative fertilizer, but about to switch to beastie bloomz from fox farm mixed with a dash of bloom fertilizer. will finish with fox farm's cha-ching resin builder.:hello:

i can't believe i finally having budz growin'! whew-hew! it's in my closet! i'm making me own weedz!

17. Nice! Congrats on that last female man!

18. Hiya Ghost Dude .. .. :)

Nice grow it is, .. Hell yea .. ..

I wanted ta give you a tip, as I was going through your pics.

The one I'm about to place at the bottom, appears to have the start of the " Claw Look " on your leaves. that's an indicator that they are receiving a tough too much N, from the main group of *( N-P-K )

when they get too much N, then they will start to show that yellow, Curled up leaves that have a certain Glossy look to the yellow.

Picking that one out is easy for me, soo I thought I would share.

all ya need ta do, is cut back on the Nitrogen somewhat and you will be fine, but sometimes its better to flush em first.

All in all your doing a great job, .. Keep up the good work man .. .. .. :)

[​IMG]

19. Looking real good bro!! glad to c it!! i just hit day 2 flowering, i think i have 1 male so far and i got 1 4 headed beast i hope is a female(thanks for the tips on that) but i have germd a femd pineappechunk from barneysfarm and am gonna throw it in under the hps with the others and let it go 12/12 the whole time and see what happens.

but great job!!!! the beast from the east is doin it..lol

20. Good to see the girls back on track and doing well Ghost.