SOG... How many plants per SQ FT ???????

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by jerryg420, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Just curious to get other opinions or ideas in regards to how many plants per SQ FT in a SOG technique. I realize each strain is different and that this should fluctuate. I am working with a NL strain that is typically a bushy plant. I have almost 50 on a home made 7 X 3 ebb and flow table. It is full, very full. Plants have actually trained themselves and are growing over the side of the table. I'm sure there is a number that would maximize results, meaning a certain amount is too much and a certain number would be too little. So i'm looking for that magic number to maximize results.. What do you think ? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I also posted this in the advances category but maybe this is the better location for this discussion?

2. typically i have seen most plants growing between 12-18 inches wide... but there are alot of variables

strain
    how you train
    size of light
    size of screen holes
    height above the root level to screen

so.... to make things easy... if your getting alot of crowding... take out a row and space things out to better accommodate plant growth... we don't know how your growing... only you know...

edit... taking the row out is for the next grow, not now.. unless you really think you would be better without an entire row

3. #3 jerryg420, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
    Thanx for the response Tihspeed, You'll find in my post i asked about SOG, not SCROG.So there is very little training. Like i said, i have a 7 X 3 homemade flood and drain table, above the table is (1) 1000 w HPS and (2) 600 watt HPS giving me a total of 2200 watts. I only veg for 5 -7 days and right now average size of plants are approx 30 in. They are very full but almost find it impossible to remove any plants cause they all look so good. Also, as i posted, i'm working w NL right now which is a short bushy plant generally . They are all going very nice on top with 3 weeks to go in reproductive stage but the lowers aren't coming in too strong. I typically cut off the smallest buds at the bottom that seems to have very little potential so the plant focuses its attention up top. I am just curious what the other growers on here and planting per SQ FT in a SOG method in general.

4. Whats the yield on that 2200w grow?

5. Hi
    I have a 3x6 table 40 gal res, hydroton.
    3 600w MH and HPS air cooled
    I grew once with 72 plants 6 inch spacing, bloomed from clone, no Veg
    It was a lot of trouble cleaning the lower area, checking for bugs etc.
    As one side of my table and both ends are against the wall.
    I now grow 32 with 1 week veg,
    Easier to control and get the same yield.
    I get 2 lb of blue dream
    My 2 cents

6. Not sure about yield yet. This is the first run with this set up and strain. I've used this system for about 15 years on and off. Usually i have a bigger table ( 8 X10 ) and the best i've done was 6 lb in 60 days. I had silver pearl and used 4000 watts. As of today i have 20 days to go, and this table is packed full of bud. My guess would be close to
    3 lb. I only vegged for 4 days and planning on harvest after 56 days of flower.I'll definitely post what i actually get.

7. Hey newfriend, thanx for your 2 cents. Sounds like you have a similar set up as mine. I haven't had any issues with bugs and have had barely any leafs turn yellow at the bottom . My table has one side and end against walls as well so maintenance is tough with the plants close to those walls but i really haven't needed to get to them.
    I'm just about to take clones and i was considering maybe putting less plants on the table. I don't want to extend the table time with extra vegging. Congrats on your results. If my math is correct, your getting about an ounce per plant which is pretty good with only one week veg. I'd be very happy if i get the same. From what i hear, Blue Dream is a heavy producer.

8. a sog is ususally a 4 clones per square ft. i got one growing with a plant per sqft and i have had to trim the under growth several times to keep the plant from geting to branchy

9. Couldn't imagine putting 4 per sq ft. unless all side branches were to be removed leaving only single tops. Maybe that's worth a try. I've usually done average of 1.5 - 2 per and its always very crowded. My table now has 21 sq ft and i have about 50. Tryen to figure out which way to go for my next round , more or less :confused:

10. Thats right Jerry 32-36 per m2 is best imo, with sog thats all you want are tops!!!It will increase yield. Sounds like you got a good thing goin, got any pics? What size containers are you using? I'm pretty sure one of the reasons people started doing scrog was because they are using sat dominant strains and weren't getting the yield desired in a sog. Look for a strain that has a huge main cola White Widow,AK. Peace

11. I'll post some pix ASAP, maybe tonight. The NL strain i'm working with def has huge colas but is somewhat bushy too. I have a home made table which is constructed of a 2 X 6 frame and has a piece of plywood as the bottom. The table is lined with plastic and then there is a sink drain put into the corner over the res. The table is pitched to drain. Then there is about 5 in of hydro ton placed in table which is covered by R 12 i think its called. It's insulation that comes in 4 X 8 sheets and has one reflective side. I cut out 4 X 4 in holes and place clones in rockwool in the cut outs. It;s cheap, easy and works very well. And you can build it to fit any size room. I've usually worked with 8 X 10 tables but was limited on space this time around.

12. Nice bro sounds like a sweet setup. I use the white R-Tech also.

13. It's good to hear i'm not the only one turned on to the R-Tech. I love the flexibility you get with using that stuff. Just curious, did you come up with using that stuff on your own or did you get the idea from somewhere else. Your the first i've heard that also is using it too. Also, just curious, what type of set up are you runnen ?

14. Where do you guys get it at? Home Depot? Would it work to make covers for the holes in my res lids?

15. Ya , home depot or lowes. It's cheap and easy to work with. You can def use it for your res cover and can easily cut out any holes and make it fit however you want.

16. Awesome thanks, I'll totally go do that.