SOG Grow Method Help

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GrassLogic, Dec 31, 2015.

1. #1 GrassLogic, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2015
    So I am new to the forum ( Hello ) and I have a few questions if anyone has answers, advice or tips.
    This is the setup in question
    4X4 1200 Spydr LED
    4X4 Ebb and Flow flood table
    2"x2" Rock wool cubes
    The plan in question
    Using 500 clones, can you achieve 3-5 grams per plant on a 4 week flower with a Indica dominate strain.
    Thoughts, ideas and feedback welcome.
    Cheers

2. 1st, nothing flowers in 4 weeks. 2nd, how the hell are you planning to fit 500 2" cubes in a 4x4 flood table

3. #3 GrassLogic, Dec 31, 2015
    Well the goal would be a 6-8 week flowering plant that is cut short by a week or more.
    500 is a rough number, 400 is more realistic in measurements, 2 in cubes, 20 rows of 20 is 40 in each side out of 48in of space.
    And if it's not possible in 4 weeks, what's the fastest I can flower.
    Thanks

4. I think it is obvious that this is your first grow. Growing 400 plants isnt in your best interest.... why risk going to federal prison growing little runt plants that only yield 3g per plant???? I just harvested 1 plant last month with 5ozs on it (140 grams)... dont cut harvests short bro... youd be wasting your money.. marijuana packs on the most weight during the last 2 weeks of flowering. Why cut it short. You need to practice growing on a much smaller scale... because doing 400 plants will be a nightmare, you need to rethink your plan because its not attainable with your skill level.

5. Ok I've gotta ask.. Gonna bother me all dday.. Why would you wanna harvest an 8 week plant at 4 weeks?

6. Your set up sounds ok, but your 500 2" cubes idea is not. Cutting a plant at 4 weeks would yield nothing. At 5 weeks they are only just starting to swell. If the breeder states 8 weeks then they probably take 9 or 10 weeks, and its the last couple of weeks that they grow the most. So cutting them a week early is daft. Cutting them 5 weeks early renders the whole grow pointless.

As for the numbers... A clone that has just a few days to a week of veg will still finish up taking up about a 6"x6" area. So that's 4 plants per square-foot. That means a 4'x4' area (16 square-foot) could have up to 64 plants in it. What will you do with the remaining 436 plants? Lol.

For your first run you want the fewest plants possible. Having a shit ton of plants just makes it harder to grow. If the plants become sick, they won't yield bugger all

7. #8 GrassLogic, Dec 31, 2015
    Few points to mention.
    A) It's all just theory.
    B)There are 64 4x4 trays per room.
    C) Was advised by a a friend not to exceed 300 per 4X4 ( 2x2 Rockwool)
    D) Aiming for low yield due to number of clones.
    C) Up until this point I have only done small 10-20 plant soil grows. Looking to see what the limits are.
    64x300= 19,200
    19,200 x 3 gpp = 128.5units
    EDIT: Zero veg time. Enough to establish a root system from start of cloning process.

8. It's not a good plan. You are better off growing with a more standard common system, they're common for a reason. Your plan involves dealing with a ridiculous amount of plants with no gain

9. I have never heard of anyone purposely looking for "low yield".... more yield more bang for your buck since last i knew electricity aint free.

10. #11 GrassLogic, Dec 31, 2015
    Firstly, I understand the labor involved. The reason to reduce plant size and yield to minimum is to minimize labor needed per plant.
    Secondly, I'm not looking for common. I'm looking to apply small scale SOG, 2-4 pound grows and do it on an commercial level.
    The low yield is because if I can get a pheno that only yields a 4-7 gram cola,That is manageable, even if I have to cut the number of clones by a third, as long as the weight is there the money is there.
    250plants x 3g = 1.67units per tray (upt)
    1.5upt x 64 = 96units
    Which means in theory, I should be able to harvest 96+units every 8 weeks. (Removing the 5 week limit.) That's 5-6 harvest a year.
    If the plant limit is unrealastic, what would be? What would be a better way to achieve between 1.5 - 4 units per tray, while maintaining a low grow height.
    Thanks in advance.

11. #12 GoldGrower, Dec 31, 2015
    You're not listening. Do you really think looking after 500 clones is minimising labour? You can't fit that kind of number of plants in that size area. I have already explained all this. I'm getting the impression that you do not want advice, you just want people to back your ideas. Go for it if you really want to and learn the hard way. I see beginners doing just that frequently

You are focusing way too much on the yield. You cannot predetermine those sorts of figures

12. If you read my reply if full you will see I asked about both a longer yield time and less plants and even as far as to ask a different method altogether to obtain a predetermined weight. It seems to me that you're a very closed minded thinker, so unless you're contributing to this idea I ask you to move on from this thread.
    Thanks in advance.

13. Before telling me large yields in small spaces can't be done, I reference you to the following video.
    Not as many plants as I initially stated, but 4 pounds per table.

14. Dude no one said you couldn't achieve a large yeild in a small space. What they are saying is there is no way your gonna fit the number of plants your talking about in the space you want. It's not gonna happen. Now before you start getting all upset with someone that is trying to help to I would suggest doing your own research.. LOTS of it! Everything you need to know is literally at your fingertips. Goldgrower and masterbaker tried to put things into perspective for you. Now if you don't wanna take there very good advice.. IMO you should just go ahead and do what you want.

15. Before I reply I'm going to post this.

Now, I would estimate there are between 100 - 200 plants in that 4x4, looks to be using 3 in net pots.
    That's already destroying your theory of 64 plants per.
    So if we are done with the "it won't fit" talk, and can move on to "this is my experience with SOG" and the "Expect X amount per plant on a table of X plants." Itd be helpful..
    I understand people, 500 is unreachable in a 4x4. But for every idea you shoot down you replace it with an alternative lol. For instance, I now know looking at plant count is stupid, I should be looking on what I need to do to achieve a weight per table.
    So if anyone has advice in that regard that's what's up. But from this point forward, if you don't have statistics to back up your own SOG methods that you think could help or have yield/table ratios to post, I ask all blades refrain from posting. All items posted I ask you site a grow journal or post your own data to support you info, good or bad.
    Thanks in advance

16. Also, I PMd MasterBaker and he has zero exp in SOG. So his argument is invalid.

17. you won't be minimizing anything, you'll be increasing you're work load substantially. Both in tending to so many plants and come trim time its going to be a nightmare if tiny popcorn buds that are impossible to trim up nice

Guess that doesn't matter if you plan at harvesting in 4 weeks. There won't be anything there worthwhile

18. #19 killset, Jan 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2016
    By the way sog isn't really any sort of special growing technique. All sog is, is growing multiple plants in a space. There's nothing different from a sog grow and a single plant grow other then there's more plants.

19. Read the topic, everyone already told me 4 weeks is a horrible idea. I've already accepted I have to go full term. And I've reduced the number. But what nobody is telling me is how to achieve the weight I'm looking for. Just a bunch of "this is impossible" . You know what else used to be impossible? Light bulbs, until it was invented. So on that note, I'm baked. Someone please give me useful info. Damn naysayers