Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Soda bottle bong?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Pipesmith, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Is it safe? i heard that acryilc pipes were bad for you health but acrylic bongs are fine

2. well what are you using for the stem

3. Yeah it's safe. Easy as hell too. Idk where you're getting acrylic from though

4. sorry acrylic is basicly plastic from what ive heard o and im using a hollowed out pen for a downstem

5. Acrylic and plastic are safe materials for bongs, AS LONG as they aren't being heated up, so if the bowl and stem aren't made of plastic then it should be safe.

Happy Toking!

6. Zebra pens...that is all

7. #7 Acid Raindrops, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
    Don't use a hollowed out pen for a downstem.

Got a metal air gauge in the garage? Hollow that out and find a socket with a rounded hole to use for the bowl. Should fit almost perfect but not completely air tight and loose, you can use it just like that and wrap a paperclip or something around the outside of the socket so you can pull the socket off to clear, or get some chewing gum and stick it around the outside bottom part of the socket to completely seal it then use a carb to clear. You can take a screen out of a faucet in your house to use as a screen, make sure the screen is safe to be used... might want to hold it with a plyers and burn it for a bit.

8. now how come those can be use for pipes

9. #9 Acid Raindrops, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2010
    My guess would be a metal bowl can get very hot... If it's in connect directly with the acrylic plastic it could potentially get hot enough to release fumes.

With an acrylic bong you of course have a long metal downstem so the bowl is not in direct contact.

There are semi-acrylic pipes
    [​IMG]

but notice the bowl is not in direct contact..

Some types of plastics they say you don't want to smoke out of at all, different plastics are made out of different material which could be more or less toxic and can release harmful vapors at a lower temperature then others. Acrylic is fine given it's not being heated above smoke temperature I guess.

10. well lets say if i took a pen and cut a hole in the side of it then put tape around it so that metal is not touching plastic would that be ok for a pipe

11. yea they're safe. Just don't use a pen or ratchet for the downstem and bowl. buy a real downstem and bowl from a headshop like i did. they work great too

12. i just realized this is almost 3 years old lol

13. I used a chillum before as a slide for my bottle bong. Even if it isn't air tight, I would just tilt the bong back so it was under water as much as possible then held it down so it's air tight an release pressure to clear it. Worked very well for me.

14. Why you be so ghetto fabulous?

15. it's safe enough but not recomended should always just get glass