Social Isolation- Bad way to live?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by skatealex2, Aug 22, 2008.

1. 100% agreed.

2. maybe weed isn't for you

3. I don't live socially isolated altho I go thru periods where I enjoy being myself. Lately I have been getting out alot more and honestly it's fun to hang around people but I can't stand people that seem fake to me and don't have an individual personality (thinks for themselves) if that makes any sense. imr eally high

4. #44 InnerPeace, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008

yeah, maybe weed isnt for you, or me. Maybe if somethingcauses you to not feel the one love in this world, that somethings not for you. I believe its all about love, social isolation is the opposite ofloving one another.

5. I don't care to waste my time with people other than a couple friends and my family anymore. Real relationships require effort. It does seem like a waste of time when it's all small talk. I only have so much time and I prefer to invest it in people who will be in my life for the rest of my life or do something productive. If a conversation isn't meaningful, why bother? Idle chit chat aggravates me very quickly.

Some social skills are important such relating in the work place ans community. But in general, socializing is overrated. The less distraction I have in my life, the more peaceful I am. I'm very much an introvert. I like peace and quiet these days when I do get down time. I'm becoming more and more of an introvert as I age.

I hear a lot about kids these days and their unhealthy ways of sitting at the computer rather than hanging out with peers. They don't realize it's the way they socialize now. Kids don't call each other anymore, they IM and leave myspace messages. They aren't all just messing around playing WoW either. Some of them are coding, playing with photoshop, building websites, etc. The world runs on www now and computer literacy is literacy now. Most jobs that pay over minimum wage or are not manual labor require basic computer skills at the least. Heck of a lot better than them running the streets if you ask me.

6. just do things that get you out of the house. LIKE VOLUTEER or SURF or other VERB related stuff. if your not social you need to get out of your comfort zone or your going to turn into a statue holding a joint. stop smoking weed every 5 minutes and do something with the remander of your life.:(

7. I cant imagine what it must be like to be a loner.Being popular and having lots of friends means a lot of social obligations like always looking your best and having the newest and most expensive stuff, sure its its annoying and materialistic but i had so much fun when i was in high school.Now in college i just hang out with a few smokers and and non smokers but mostly if im not studying i like to chill with girls:p

8. Whoa. Strait from a guest named Jesus. With a trademark?!? I knew churches were a business these days but...?!?

9. So true. Often times when I'm talking to people I just get the sense that they are just waiting for their turn to talk and tell me a bunch of random crap. I have very few friends where conversations and just being around them doesn't feel forced or weird. On the other hand, sometimes I can come off anti-social because I don't give people too much of a chance.

It's not even social anxiety for me, more like social apathy. I do have a lot of anxiety, though. Ok, maybe both, but I definitely have that mood that I also find most people boring and full of their own agenda.

I think it just depends if you have suffered lame friendships or not. For example, I used to have a really great friend over this summer, I thought probably the most important person in my life, and now me and her hardly ever talk. It kind of makes you feel worthless when someone can go from telling you "oh, you're my best friend" to just kind of picking up and acting like you don't matter. I guess I don't try and make too many friends or acquaintance just because putting all your trust and actually being genuine with people has only made me feel like shit in the end. I have a "social persona" and then "me".

It doesn't bother me, because I've definitely seen a lot of two-faced people in my life. I've put a lot of trust and time into certain people and I think I just hit a point where I was tired of being a better friend than people were to me, so now I just stick to people I know are legit.

:smoking:

10. #50 skatealex2, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
    I think next week I'm gonna stop toking on a daily basis strating next week cause I think I'm too content with doing nothing and being alone when I have weed.

I think this effect can be useful at times, but maybe it's not so healthy, I don't fucking know but I'm gonna start being more sober soon

*Just ripped my bong and I regret saying that. I love the analytical mindset that I go in when high

11. I find that when I smoke alone too much I begin feeling a bit anti-social. But over the summer I haven't toked alone at all, and I've spent most of my days around people. So now when I'm alone, such as right now, I feel really..well...lonely. Maybe I just need more discipline or something, but damn I am so easily bored!

I think life is all about your mindset and if you go out thinking that everyone is fake or dumb then you're going to end up finding people to be fake and dumb. But if you keep an open-mind and begin accepting everyone for who they are, making friends becomes much easier. The more you talk to people the more you start realizing how much more alike than different everyone actually is. Life is a beautiful thing and people are beautiful and you dont want to miss out on all the amazing friends you can make. :)

12. Well, outside of when I'm at work or at school I spend the vast majority of my time just chilling out, usually I'll end up on my laptop as it's my link to a lot of my interests. I have friends, but a lot of my friends my age are doing their own thing and have gone separate ways, so the people in my circle at home are younger than me and usually just looking to get fucked up when we spend time together. It all comes off very negative when I think about these relationships, although I know there is a real sense of love among us and we've expressed it both inebriated and sober.

I sometimes get the feeling that everyone is out to use people and only interested in their own agenda, but I remind myself that I've never had that mindframe and I never will - so there have to be other people out there just looking to have a mutual relationship with as little drama and stress as possible. Problem is, how am I ever going to find these supposed people when the only hobbies I have that get me outside are rarely exercised? And therein lies the problem with social isolation to me. I know exactly what I need to do to overcome my anxiety and fulfill my need to build new relationships, but I have the feeling that what I do in my spare time isn't compatible with the types of people I want to meet. And the last thing I want to do is change who I am and pretend that I don't have fun spending time by myself and having the "me" time that I so often long for when I'm in annoying situations with friends.

Some day I hope to turn over a new leaf and really apply myself to the social goals I've set, but I just don't see it happening for a while. :rolleyes:

13. Damn, man, I'm sorry that you and so many others have had bad luck in the friend department, but I know where you're coming from. I've been lucky enough to develop a nicely sized group of very very good friends who are always there for me when I need em (though it's usually the other way around). Don't lose all faith! I mean, shit, if you're local you should come meet me :p

OP, as long as you're content with your situation, don't worry about it. It's all about what is working and what is not working as well as you would like. I had (and still do from time to time) a stage where I didn't really hang out with anyone, and when I did it was just me and them, not doing anything too public. I didn't really understand it, but was completely comfortable with it, and so it made sense to keep on living that way. I got to a stage where I became uncomfortable with my isolation and decided to start doing more, and I must say it was actually kind of tough, but I'm glad I'm back. Still it's nice to just slow down and enjoy thy self...

14. Such a small world?

" In the somedayyy
    What'ss that sound"

15. i hear ya. lately all ive been doing is working, going to school, working out, and hooking up w/ a girl 2 or 3 times a week. i barely see my boys anymore. as much as i like going out and gettin fucked up i dont miss it all that much though...this is all i need right now. oh well

16. #56 MMJNoob, Sep 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2008
    Sounds like many of theses people already have productive lives that leave limited free time. Unless you personally know the OP and the details of there life, it's a rather absurd and snide statement. to make. It's a rather stereotyped assumption to assume the 'smoke dope' all day. Some of us get plenty of 'socialization in public, work, school, PTA, organizations we are members of etc.

Insulting people in the harshest manner isn't the best way to be heard way to make your point. I suggest you exchange you judgmental, demeaning and assumptive attitude and adopt one of constructive suggestions support. Exactly how high is that horse of yours anyway?