Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Social Anxiety Disorder

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by cheechchong_pt2, Sep 19, 2006.

1. I have it mildly and am wondering if smoking weed will make it worse? I don't have access to any medical marijuana and I'm 100000% positive, it isn't prescribed for SAD lol.

2. Well you may get paranoia, but I know for some people it makes them more socially open, so I don't know how it would affect you..

3. actually u could get medical marijuana for that...but only in a state that allows medical marijuana...

4. ^ i agree (whitewarrior). weed has different effects on different people... it wouldn't be wise to self-medicate using marijuana in hopes of overcoming your social anxiety. they have medication for this problem, but if youre still young then im willing to bet you'll overcome this problem as you grow older. i used to be really bad, but as ive gotten older ive learned not to worry about that shit. if youre middle 20's or older and the social anxiety is affecting your daily performance, job/career and/or general socializing, i would probably visit a doctor. social anxiety is one thing to be serious about because if you think about it there isnt much you can do on a daily basis that does not involve being social or interacting with other people at some level. getting high on weed or even using pills prescribed by a doctor isnt a good alternative. you need to work with a doctor and try to beat it without having to use some sort of medicine.

i realize that you said you only have mild social anxiety, im just making a general statement incase some other people with the same problems or more severe problems happen to read this post.

to sum it all up... if it effects your daily life to the point of dreading common daily tasks it's probably about time to visit a doctor; don't try to self-medicate.

5. I've got a pretty severe case of social and general anxiety disorders, and marijuana is what helps me... but the problem though is that it's only while high I feel better, and I don't like going through my day high, so it's not a 24/7 fix. But it helps...

6. I'm turning 20 in 4 days. I have beaten the SA in most part, I feel good and I never had problems with interacting with people only stuff like all eyes on me when I did stuff you know, shopping, looking around things etc I had the notion that everyone is looking at me and I'm being judged and I started to sweat some but all of that is like 80% gone. My only real problem is talking to hot girls by myself. I'm a real good-looking guy not the brag but one of those model type guys and no I ain't gay lol. So the only girls I end up getting and that's sad are like on a scale 4-6 out of 10 and they are kinda slutty too. And this really pisses me off not only they are slutty but nothing special too look at as well.

7. Couldn't have put it better myself:)

It's always made any anxiety I have worse, but we are all different, and others claim it can help.

Personally, I think with any long term psych issue, anything (within reason, of course) is worth a try, but as HIH said, so keep your doctor informed, even about the weed; he may have an opinion on the matter, but he will not judge you or report you to your parents/police.

Sweetheart that is normal for any of us; I'm nearly 30, and I still go to bits before a date, or get tongue-tied when I'm chatting to an attractive man. A certain amount of social anxiety is normal, this is our natural barrier against potential rejection or embarrassment; things that we all fear inherently.

If it really troubles you, perhaps talk to a counsellor; there may be a reason why this is particularly hard for you.

Best of luck in your quest for peace.
    LG

8. Weed is only as good as your mindset. I was an AVID smoker for years, always down for a blunt with the buddies, roast a bowl as soon as I woke up, the usual smoke routine. Since me and my girl split up in august my depression has increased and my anxiety as well. It's made smoking a nightmare, I tried again last night and it gives me a killer tightness in my chest as well as making my mind race. I don't recommend it if you're already struggling with other issues. Clear your head, and when you're ready, hit the weed.:smoking:

9. Oh no! No matter how fucked up my life and situation is...I smoke weed and everything is good again! And I always turn on music and it just puts me into another world or I go outside especially if it's a nice day and chill there high, and all of my surroundings become so pleasent.

In other words, weed is the only thing that makes me very happy and feel as if there is no problems for me right now, but once the high crashes, well I'm back to where I started lol.

10. well to me, it sounds like you are not over your "social anxiety" issues. the reason is, it's not a social anxiety problem that you have, it seems like a lack of confidence/self-esteem. granted, i'm not a doctor and i'm not claiming to be, but i do have the benefit of the outter perspective and that is what it takes sometimes. trust me, i know EXACTLY how you feel/felt about the "all eyes on me" problem and i know exactly what you're feeling when you're having trouble talking to good looking girls. i think any girl will agree with me on this, girls really dig confidence... thats just from my learning experiences. thats not saying to be a complete fucking asshole or be totally into yourself, but a little confidence can go a long way. like i said, i think your main problem is a lack of confidence/self-esteem so if you can work on that you'll be fine without having to smoke. "I'm a reall good-looking guy not the brag but one of those model type guys and no I ain't gay lol." shows that you do have some confidence, but it seems like you have some sort of issue with being thought of as gay, which is conflicting with whatever confidence you may have. maybe thats what is causing your problem? i cant say for sure because i am not a doctor. if you're having trouble with it, the only real way is to visit a doctor and be completely honest with him and yourself.

and exactly as Le Grenouille said, some anxiety is normal. even the most confident people and the most prominent leaders deal with anxiety (including social anxiety), dealing with it "normally" (learning to control the problem without the use of drugs) is what makes them different. obviously, not every confident person and not every leader deals with their anxiety in a "normal" way, but i think you get the point.

i need to mention this. i know you've heard it time and time again, but if a girl makes you happy then dont let looks change that. you shouldnt be ashamed just because of what somebody else might think about your girlfriend or whatever. im saying this in all seriousness, as soon as you realize this and truly understand this the better off youll be.

smoke to have a good time, not to overcome physical/mental ailments.

imma get off my soapbox now... please dont think im trying to preach, im just trying to help.

11. that was beutiful +rep :p

12. Oh no, don't think I'm gay or look gay lol. I just said that because those model guys have that feminine look ya know. Like actor Johnny Depp, he looks more of the feminine type but he ain't guy. But I don't got that feminine look, I look just like every other normal boy/man. I said about that good-looking part because everybody keeps telling me that, "Wow, you like those actors, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt etc. You should do Calvin Klein etc. lol so that's why I said it but anyways thanks for all the nice responses :) Really helped.

13. hahaha I've been told I look like Matt Damon :p...

14. i once did some research on sad..its not one of those things you just have and stick with. at some point in your life somthing happend, or multiple things that lead to it. my suggestion is that you don't smoke weed and go overcome that shit. go out and when you feel as if people are "judging you" go look right back at them and "judge" them..and as for the hot girls..ive had this trick that worked for pretty well, when your with one, focus on the worste feature(sp) on her..example say shes really hot but she kinda has big ears or a funny looking nose say..just keep that in your head and it will relax you allot more so you can open up or what not and be more chill around her..i hope that helps and let us know how shit works out.

15. dude, from my experience it deffinately makes it better! I have become so much more of a social person since i started smoking weed. it has something to do with it letting you out of your shell and expanding your world, add a second, more free alter ego.... Adds a whole new consciecness.... which overall helps you be more social... at least for me!!!