Sobriety

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by InhaleSomeKush, Jun 23, 2018.

1. After years of alcohol (mainly) abuse, I have been sober for over 40 days now. I have never been completely sober in my life. I am at a treatment center/halfway house in Florida. I will not disclose the name, but if you know about treatment centers down here, this one is a good one. All the staff, therapists, case managers, everyone that worked here is in active recovery, so not only do they have degrees in the field, they have experienced what us clients are going threw, making it an awesome an legitimate experience.

I have experienced genuine happiness, genuine europhia, an have learned so much. I am actively working the 12 step AA program, with a sponsoer, an its a great environment. Everyone at the halfway is nice, like help you out nice, an not ask for anything in return. I'm not use to this, an am only now getting use to it, without me feeling awkward. I never envisioned life like this, it's just breath taking almost, like I was reborn again. I do pray, an no i do not follow a religion, but i do believe in a higher power, that I just associate with the universe really.

Although, I am experiencing now, depression. Once you take away the drugs an alcohol, you're left with yourself, an although I am actively working recovery, I still run into major depression. I notice myself isolating a lot more. I have had sober fun, an enjoyed it. I just don't feel like I can fully get right yet. I don't want to drink or anything, it just sucks, im so blessed to be in this position.

I'm hoping that putting in more work, an working the steps, an regularly meeting with my therapist an learning more about myself an why i do the things I do will change the funk im in.

Anyone with experience with this, any advice, suggestions, an other than that I just want anyone to know, that may be struggling, it can get better. I thought I was going to die an alcoholic, but here I am now.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. You will snap out of it. You can find it within yourself. Feel it, but try to put the energy into something good man. Don't let it stay. Wishing you the best man. :thumbsup:you got this. You have made a huge achievement already! Try to meet new people, find new hobbies and go to different places. Think of the good things you have everyday.

• Like Like x 2
  3. hell yeah brother, it's good for ya. glad you're doing good and keep pushing forward!

"And I thought hurricane season was over"

4. Hello friend of Bills, have you found the pink cloud yet? :) If not it will come

5. I have worked through a nasty cycle of depression and anxiety. Of course I still feel those feelings coming on but I can recognize them more quickly and have a better understanding of the root causes. I have taken meds but prefer to try and work through it on my own now. But some of those meds can literally be lifesavers. It's a lot to type up on a tablet but it took a huge amount of genuine self reflection and study to try and see myself as I actually am and then who I want to be then start taking action to be that person, the real bitshifter... it's not easy but it's absolutely necessary. Stick with it, tell someone there when you are depressed. My brother has been sober for a little over a year now. It's been a journey.