So you want to grow Marijuana, your ?'s answered here.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jcj77d, Jul 27, 2007.

1. if u know or when u know they are female, some growers will trim off lower branches b/c: 1 the lower branches produce smaller buds, & 2 by doing this it makes the plant produce bigger fatter bud at the top, b/c its not puting its energy into the bud on the lower brances that are now gone, & putting this energy into the buds left.

2. im about a week away from moving into a house with two other people. and my future lack of money is almost making me decide to grow. ive done a ton of research already but i never asked the most simple question...

what are my roommates gunna think? ive met one of them, shes cool with smoking (she smokes), dunno 'bout growing. and my other room mate is from columbia and finishing his senior year of college. im sure he likes smoking too. how do i go about asking them? should i even ask them?(if i do a closet grow) is the smell THAT noticeable? i mean is gunna smell like pot or is it gunna smell fruity? i know there are ways to hide smell, but do they work THAT well? should i tell my roomies i grow and offer them a lil pot for letting me grow? i only want 4-5 plants. nothing that tall maybe like 18-20 inches at most.

thanks ahead.

3. well 1st whos house is it? if the house belongs to someone else & yall split the bills, & u got your own room, then i dont see a prob. u can try starting a conversation about weed, then just ask if they every tried growin, & what they think about it. i would try to talk to them about it, b/c if u dont & they disaprove of the growin, & they find u growin they could report you. maybe try to work out an aggreement, kinda like u said. or say ill sign a peice of paper stating if something where to happen b/c of your growin, youll take full responcibility. ive never been in that situation. i dont think the smell is that bad for a small grow, & they dont smell until they flower, they all smell a little different depending on strain, from rotten meat to fruity. there are products that do help w/ smell, i got 4 flowering now, & im useing a automatic airwick air nuterlizer set @ 8mins, & a open container of garlic powder works great, all i smell is garlic. & for plant height look at LST (low stress training), topping, & the FIM method, or grow a strain like lowryder 2 & masterlow. they stay small & are auto-flowering which means a shorter growing time. i thing lst is your best bet, im doing that as well, & its maybe 1 1/2 ft tall if that, but huge buds, well 12 colas.

4. thanks a bunch for taking your time to answer, im gunna slowly weave the discussion over some bowls maybe. hopefully ill start this indoor grow in september

5. maybe start w/ what they think about legalizing it, or make up a med condition, & say u cant afford to buy it all the time, so thats why i want to grow. plus tell them its alot worse to be out buying it or having people bring it to u, vs growin your own, b/c what if your dealer is being watched, then they are watching u. & always buy your stuff w/ cash if u can.

6. 100% welcome

7. dont let this thread die!

8. OK so I'll add another question :)

I bought a liquid to measure PH.

The guy at the grow store sais to measure only the PH of the water that I'm gonna give to the plants and just make sure that has the proper PH. I'm like HUH? am I not supposed to check the PH of the soil somehow?
    I dont feel like investing in more advanced PH meters, they cost around 60$ where I live.

He said I can water the plant and then check the PH of the water that drain from it, is that correct?

9. yes, its good to check your feeding water ph, remember it, then water your plant & collect the water from the drain holes & measure its ph, (called soil runoff ph), & this should be between 6.5-7.0, but shoot for 6.8. any time u add ferts to water the ph will drop. from my experence: my runoff ph was 6.4, so i used water w/ a ph of 7.2-7.3 to bring it up to 6.8. most tap water should be around 7.0, mine jumps between 7.0-7.2. u should look on ebay the have digital ph meters for 30$, & trust me ph is one of the most important things to keep track of. like this http://cgi.ebay.com/New-pH-Meter-Aq...ryZ58191QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem or this search http://search.ebay.com/ph-meter_W0Q...fmtZ1QQfromZR40QQsabfmtsZ2QQsascsZ2QQsbrbinZt

10. I have an aeroponics set up. The plants are Great White Shark, Power Plant, and Kali Mist. I am near harvest - about 75% of hairs are orange and I have been watching the trichomes and they are for the most part turning cloudy and a few amber heads are showing. I cycled out the nutes for pure water about 4 days ago. Is there any harm if I changed to just water too early?

11. no, most growers will use just plain water for the last 2wks of so. this gives the plant time to use up all the nutes in soil or res as well as in the plant. by alowing the plant to become defenceny in all nutes, u end up w/ a better end product, who wants to smoke chemicals. it will taste better & everything. your plant might look like shit by harvest, but me as well as other profesional grower i know, say "i dont like to walk in or see a garden of nice green healthy plants at harvest, they should be yellowing & almost dead". i got about 2-3wks left, & mine look like they are on the verg of death. sometimes ill continue to use molassas in my water until 3-4days b4 harvest.

12. Thank you. I am just getting impatient waiting for the heads to turn amber. They don't look anywhere near death, so I think everything should be fine. I might try the molasses.

13. go by this [​IMG] & if u use molassas use at a rate of 1-2tsp of molassas per gallon of water. & make sure its unsulferized molassas

14. Hey Jcj

I've recently looked into envriolights. Those seems to be 125-250W very big CFLs, with 1 model that has blue light and 1 model that has red light.
    Those seem IDEAL for my situation as I cannot use HPS cause of heat, and I have a reflector that suits perfectly with those babies. However, I cannot find anything about their lumen output, nor anyone that tried growing with them.

Do you have any info about these lights?

15. i could only find info on the 125w ones. one site said the blue puts out 12,000 lumens, & thr red puts out 8,900 lumens, but another site said they both put off 12,000 lumens & 10,400 lumens 6" away, with that said, i caculate that the 250w will put out about 24,000 lumens & there cri is 92 & the suns cri is 100

16. my plants like 4 inches tall maybe, is there anyway i can tell for sure if its a male or female?

17. not yet, give them time, u can put really green bananas around the bottom of plant, & let them rippen & change when brown, this will help increase your chances of female plants.

18. how do you -/+ rep?

19. It's the button to the right of somebody's post (in line with the date), that looks like a set of old school scales.

20. If I have a 6x3 space I am looking to cover will two 400 watt be sufficient or would two 600 watt be better? That'll be for my second grow, right now I am on my first with one 1000 watt light.

Also when I top my plants is good to top them more than once even if the plants aren't for cloning? Or would it be better to just top once and leave it at that.