So, we were wrong- cannabis IS physically addictive

Discussion in 'General' started by feudalism, Mar 1, 2013.

1. I stopped cold turkey for pregnancy and breastfeeding after smoking daily for a long time before and had no problems. Everyone is different, the withdrawals will not kill you like Anti-depressants, alcohol, and in some cases certain unmentionables.

Sounds like a suck it up and get over it, something people need to mentally overcome, not a body withdraw. Especially if you use MJ to escape your life.

2. Did you ever see the bigger picture that prior to the laziness that it was the lack of ambition and motivation that made the habit longer to stop...

I mostly drink water but only purified water and none from the tap, not trying to deal with the chemicals in flouride. Also an excellent diet also a multi-vitamin can fill in the voids.

3. I dont give a chit.

4. Well the only reason I actually quit was for health reasons (obviously) and I was starting a diet that didn't allow soda.

I'm still lazy and unmotivated to this day, now I'm just skinny and lazy instead. :p

I only drink vodka, beer, water, and coffee now.

5. Nothing new! Just a big bunch of blown up hype to sell papers! Merck has had that basic info for ages! :cool: Your body gets used to extra cannabinoids and it takes about 2 to 7 days to readjust your system! BFD! Getting grumpy for a few days, is all you get with most folks when they quit cannabis!

Merck Manual - Marijuana (Cannabis) (excerpt - 2008)
    Marijuana (Cannabis): Drug Use and Dependence: Merck Manual Professional

Withdrawal: Cessation after 2 to 3 wk of frequent, heavy use can cause a mild withdrawal syndrome, which typically begins about 12 h after the last use. Symptoms consist of insomnia, irritability, depression, nausea, and anorexia; symptoms peak at 2 to 3 days and last up to 7 days.

Treatment

• Supportive measures
    Treatment is usually unnecessary; for patients experiencing significant discomfort, treatment is supportive. Management of abuse typically consists of behavioral therapy in an outpatient drug treatment program.

Frankly, Merck doesn't sound 1/10 as hysterical as the article! :cool: "Supportive measures" sounds like keeping them warm and fed, and telling them it will be OK! lol Not exactly like when someone is addicted to alcohol or hard drugs and could actually DIE from withdrawals! :eek:

Look, I get cranky without my morning tea! People get even grumpy when they go on a strict diet and have to give up their favorite goodies! From that reporter's view, we are all ADDICTED to them and are having the dreaded "withdrawals" because we get cranky when we don't get them! :p

Additionally, the better shape your endocannabinoid system is in, the quicker you get over the "withdrawals"! Some folks never miss it when they quit- their endocannabinoid system is able to adapt faster than most and just ups their production of anandamide! No prob! :)

And most folks experience the same level of "withdrawal" when they quit coffee, and it is less than what you get with tobacco from what I've observed! I wonder how the reporter would feel without their morning cup of coffee for a few days? ;)

Granny :wave:

6. lol none of these are physical symptoms. i feel sorry for op and anyone who buys into this :)

7. When you stop using ANYTHING you're used to using on daily basis or very often..you get some sort of withdraw

8. So withdrawal is impossible because you can just take a walk?

Tell a heroin junkie going through withdrawals that it isn't possible because they can just go run a marathon and their bodies will release endorphins
    (endogenous morphine)

sorry i mentioned unmentionables but it had to be said. and your arrogance is astounding.

9. So is tobacco and alcohol. Point?

10. #90 CBoddicker, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

In no way does a survey of forty nine people represent how the entirety of the cannabis smoking population reacts to cessation of cannabis use. For me, the effects are similar to not getting my morning cup of coffee, not a huge deal at all.

They are sensationalizing this to make it seem like cannabis withdrawl is as serious as an alcoholic quitting cold turkey. The study is a perfect example of grasping at straws. Jacking off/sex is harder to go without than quitting weed.

Granny Storm Crow hit the nail on the head.

11. #91 420rowdyguy, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
    This is such bullshit, people don't understand how addiction works.

My step dad works with an Asian man, who eats rice everysingle day for breakfast, lunch and dinner (among other Asian things like fish and stuff)

He eats so much rice that, if he trys to go a day without eating rice, he gets stomach cramps and feels sick.

Does this mean rice is addictive?! No it means any excess of anything can be bad for you.

12. "People who tried to quit pot reported feeling moody, tense, anxious and nervous." Yeah because that is how every person in the world feels normally. hence why people smoke, surely?

13. I felt a lot more crappy when I don't drink caffeine than when I take a break from smoking. And after experiencing opiate withdrawal it's kind of hard to see slight irritability and restlessness as actual withdrawal.

Besides lack of appetite, all of these symptoms are psychological, not physical. Marijuana is psychologically addictive, so it's no surprise that people have mild psychological symptoms after heavy and/or prolonged use. Quitting anything that you use/do habitually can cause you to feel this way. Our brains get used to what we do, when we suddenly stop, our brains react to the change. Lack of appetite and insomnia most likely come into play because heavy users become mentally dependent on the effects of weed in order to eat and sleep. Kind of a rebound effect you could say.

The turmoil of withdrawal, give me a break :rolleyes:

14. Just more garbage propaganda masquerading as a study and they're not even trying to be subtle about it. I mean really, "the turmoil of withdrawal"? Heated words for a study. And more arbitrary comparisons to totally different substances to trigger a certain response in people. Where is this study anyway, there's just links to more biased articles. Or did they neglect to link it like they fail to mention how easily manipulated data like this is?

I wouldn't trust the Australians on this subject any more than I would my own government.

Of course there's symptoms of withdrawal in heavy users as there are regardless of what they use. Your body gets used to something, then it misses it. The physical aspect here is negligible because on a scale from "oh well" to sucking dick for your next fix, this falls comfortably at the former, maybe a notch up if you lack self-control.

15. Lack of appetite IS psychological.

Anxiety and Stress both cause you to lose your appetite.

16. I pretty much expected the reaction I've read here. Not surprising at all tbh.

17. If you take anything that has effects and you stop taking it and lose the effects is it withdrawal?

18. If your brain expects it as a part of its normal function and you remove said chemical, yes.

19. This.
    /thread

20. Not addicted to caffeine, so I can't speak to that. However having quit tobacco, having once before stopped smoking weed for years, and currently having stopped smoking long enough to get clean for a pre-employment test, I can say, without a doubt, that it is nothing like quitting tobacco. I may want some, simply because I'm fed up with day to day bullshit and want to unwind, but I certainly don't crave it the way I craved nicotine. Not even in the slightest. I would be tempted to say that their results are either grossly exaggerated, or they went out of their way to find the most extreme cases for test subjects.