So today, I watched a spider.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by BigOlStankyDank, Jul 31, 2013.

1. I've been a long time shut in. Sleep inside, work inside, enjoy leisure time inside, etc. This morning after my usual wake n bake, I was taking out the trash, and before I went back into the apartment, I just stood back and took a good look at my backyard for once.

It was beautiful.

I saw bunches of pink flowers that I don't have a name for, and there was a bee systematically flying into each one of them possibly collecting nectar. So he must have a hive somewhere, I've got find that some time and observe. But then I noticed my apartment entrance. It's under a wooden deck, and has plenty of little gaps in structures around it, so of course I found a bunch of spiders chilling on their own webs scattered about my entrance.

A first I was kind of freaked out, my first instinct was to get a broom or some body spray and a lighter, but then I saw a little dude working on his own web between a stair and propane tank. I watched that little bugger for a good 10 minutes as he went about his business, and it seems he gave zero fucks about my presence.

Then I find this big bastard in the middle of his king web that right beside my doorway. Again first instinct was to shit whack him, but I looked really closely at him, noticed how he looked sort of cool, and came to a realization that there's a lot of insects around my place since there's grass everywhere, so maybe these guys are just setting up camp and helping me deal with those annoying flies and crickets as opposed to stalking me, waiting for my eyes to close one last time before they strike.

So I guess to summarize, outside is pretty fucking cool, and I think I've come to terms with spiders now.

2. i am the same man, work at home so getting out is very important. i put at least 1 hour a day aside to be outside now and open all windows and curtains and the door and try and get a bit more air moving.

spiders dude freak me out,  but are pretty in their own evil way

3. this thread is awesome

4. Spiders are friends too, once you get to know them

5. its all fine and dandy till a spider crawls in your mouth while you sleep and bursts open with thousands of baby spiders 

nah just fucking with you man they do kill other shit likes flies and stuff. So its a trade off 

6. #6 smokehound, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
     Jumping spiders are my favorites.  Pretty much the primates of the spider world, they're amazingly smart.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S10XJDJAsY[/video]

They behave alot more intelligently than all other arthropods, except for mantis shrimp, which are the smartest arthropods of all. You can see him touching the eraser out of sheer curiosity.  No predatory response, he just wanted to feel it!  Their eyesight is nearly as good as ours, not like a fly, which has compound eyes, and gets disoriented by light. 

7. Fuck spiders, but the outdoors are awesome, especially when you are high. Go for a walk in the woods baked, one of the most peaceful, relaxing experiences possible.

8. Spiders creep me out, almost too much for me to appreciate them at all. But, I watched a Muntjack Deer for a good fifteen minutes the other day. The majesty of nature is surprisingly missable if you don't take a while to actively observe it.

Also:

What's up fellow UK bro?!

9. #9 Weedity, Aug 1, 2013
    Haha man did the same thing the other day. 

Hate to admit this, but sorry, I generally give NO fucks about certain insects. Mosquitos, ants, spiders, centipedes, sprickets, insects along those lines. I actually enjoy messing with those bugs every now and then. It's just who I am. Can't really bring myself to care about those kind of bugs. 

Whenever I see spiders, I used to always squash them. Then the other day I was baked smoking in my backyard and saw a big spider and a bigger web. I went over to kill it and was like whoa wait a minute, this bastard is helping to catch and eat mosquitos. Why should I kill him? I proceeded to blow smoke on it instead.

I decided I shall show mercy to certain insects now. Especially spiders.

Ants, mosquitos, and centipedes can blow me though. I despise them. 

10. Some centipedes are pretty badass, though.

check this killing machine out!

[​IMG]

If you have a rodent problem, these guys will take care of em. hahaha

11. #11 Weedity, Aug 1, 2013
    Dear God they are hideous though. Seriously they are my number one hated insect. I will stomp on them till they cease to physically even exist in this dimension. I think it's because we have a home problem with them that I hate them so much. Try having those fucks crawling across your leg as you are stoned ripping some bong. Fucking A 

no... i'll pass, thanks anyways ... :bolt:

13. #13 Carne Seca, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013

OMG  desert centipedes are HUGE.  My brother found one that was 8 to 9 inches long.  It was fucking huge.  One of my grandmothers had a scar on her leg where she was stung by one and my uncle had one in his shirt and it stung his back.  He was shoveling dirt and it must have fallen off the shovel and down the back of his shirt.  He said it was painful but the creepy factor was worse than the actual pain.  He always shuddered when he talked about it.  We've had them in our house at times.  Fast and scary.   What i really hate though, are these little fuckers:

[​IMG]

They always seem to travel in pairs and they are fast!  I was getting some ice from the fridge one night and I kept feeling something on my ankle.  It kept going round and round really fast.  I opened the door wide enough to illuminate my feet and two of them were running around my ankle.  Chasing each other.  I don't remember much after that.  There was a lot of screaming and ice went everywhere.  I ended up on top of the kitchen table with a roll of paper towels in one hand and a spatula in the other.  I was ready to kill or be killed.  

Damn desert pests.  That's the only downside to desert living... well that and rattlesnakes.. and bark scorpions.. and vinegaroons... and skinwalkers...... definitely skinwalkers.    

14. Whats your job man, I want to work indoors aha

15. Yeah, I should be getting a tarantula for the first time in a couple of weeks.
    Our culture has the fear of spiders woven into its web. Really, they're helpful little things. ^_^

16.  Yep, ever since brown widows exploded in population, i've seen far less roaches.

What kind of Tarantula? For a beginner, i suggest brachypelma, or, if you can find any, Aphonopelma.  The latter is very docile by nature and tolerates being held.

17. I've been thinking of a Brachypelma smithi? I'm trying to get one that will live around 20 years, so we won't out-live the other by much.
    I'm a cuddly girl, so a docile pet I can handle is a must.

I'd totally love to have her on my shoulder in 15 years time while I smoke a j.

18. You do not want a tarantula anywhere near your face.  While it's true that certain species are more docile, the urticating hairs on their abdomens can break and catch your breath current, resulting in a hair lodged in the nose or mouth.  Very unpleasant, and in some species of Old world tarantulas, burns severely.  

In addition to this, Brachypelma is more prone to kicking hairs.  I personally suggest aphonopelma, they tend to have good appetites, too.   Don't smoke around them.  Even though it's not nicotine, smoke itself will irritate and clog book lungs, and suffocate a tarantula.

People should be wearing goggles and a face mask when handling any tarantula capable of flicking hairs, you never know when they'll get spooked, like if an idiotic friend barges in and shouts, or if you sneeze near them, that can not only cause them to flick, but unlike normal spiders, tarantulas WILL launch an attack.  Mine is very docile, but when she's scared, she will charge with her fangs out.  She has jumped and attempted to bite me.  I personally dont wear either, because I'd feel like a fucking dork.

But then again, dorky is better than blind.

19. But is it not true a new-world raised with one owner from birth will be by far less likely to bite, flick, or charge?

And no, I wasn't planning on getting a tarantula stoned. Would be a little sad to watch actually.  :(

May we have a pic of your girl? :wub:

20. [​IMG]

It's true that they do seem to recognize their owners, mine certainly seems to.  They communicate with vibration, so it's definitely possible they can recognize an individual's "vibes".  But individuals vary by temperament, some species of a "docile" genus could be downright evil in temper.  Aphonopelma is technically a "semi-aggressive" genus, however like i said before, some can be super laid-back.  The downside is aphonopelma is one of the slowest-growing genera out there, taking up to and beyond a decade to mature.  The plus side, is they are beautiful, active, eat well, and get BIG.  This genus is enormous, too.  tons of species.  Just in california alone, there are about 30 known species of Aphonopelma.  Mine is Aphonopelma phanum.  You're not likely to find one anywhere on the net, as they are an OC species found nowhere else.   There are even dwarf species that never get larger than a quarter as adults, and those are the meanest little fuckers alive.  I don't think i've even seen a photo of a dwarf that wasn't pissed off.

Understanding their body-language is a major help, as well.  If the abdomen is raised, they're nervous.  If they spread their fangs and raise the abdomen straight up, they're pretty much telling you to fuck yourself.  Luckily, they prefer to bluff and shove the threat away.

Chalcodes is a wonderful species of Aphonopelma, as a species complex, you can find various color morphs, like the "carlsbad green", "new-river", or "flagstaff-orange".  They tend to be really nice, too.  try one of those, you can keep the substrate bone-dry, too.  Easy to keep.