So the White House Responded to that Petition....

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by MarijuanaMole, Oct 30, 2011.

1. ...And it's predictably a load of political horseshit.

What We Have to Say About Legalizing Marijuana
    By Gil Kerlikowske, Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy
    When the President took office, he directed all of his policymakers to develop policies based on science and research, not ideology or politics. So our concern about marijuana is based on what the science tells us about the drug's effects.
    According to scientists at the National Institutes of Health- the world's largest source of drug abuse research - marijuana use is associated with addiction, respiratory disease, and cognitive impairment. We know from an array of treatment admission information and Federal data that marijuana use is a significant source for voluntary drug treatment admissions and visits to emergency rooms. Studies also reveal that marijuana potency has almost tripled over the past 20 years, raising serious concerns about what this means for public health – especially among young people who use the drug because research shows their brains continue to develop well into their 20's. Simply put, it is not a benign drug.
    Like many, we are interested in the potential marijuana may have in providing relief to individuals diagnosed with certain serious illnesses. That is why we ardently support ongoing research into determining what components of the marijuana plant can be used as medicine. To date, however, neither the FDA nor the Institute of Medicine have found smoked marijuana to meet the modern standard for safe or effective medicine for any condition.
    As a former police chief, I recognize we are not going to arrest our way out of the problem. We also recognize that legalizing marijuana would not provide the answer to any of the health, social, youth education, criminal justice, and community quality of life challenges associated with drug use.
    That is why the President's National Drug Control Strategy is balanced and comprehensive, emphasizing prevention and treatment while at the same time supporting innovative law enforcement efforts that protect public safety and disrupt the supply of drugs entering our communities. Preventing drug use is the most cost-effective way to reduce drug use and its consequences in America. And, as we've seen in our work through community coalitions across the country, this approach works in making communities healthier and safer. We're also focused on expanding access to drug treatment for addicts. Treatment works. In fact, millions of Americans are in successful recovery for drug and alcoholism today. And through our work with innovative drug courts across the Nation, we are improving our criminal justice system to divert non-violent offenders into treatment.
    Our commitment to a balanced approach to drug control is real. This last fiscal year alone, the Federal Government spent over $10 billion on drug education and treatment programs compared to just over $9 billion on drug related law enforcement in the U.S.
    Thank you for making your voice heard. I encourage you to take a moment to read about the President's approach to drug control to learn more.

I wasn't expecting anything more, but shit like this makes me think it'll never happen. I'm sure a lot of you got this e-mail. They ALMOST acknowledge the whole "putting people in jail over fucking weed" part, but quickly switch sides of the fence afterwards.

Thoughts?

2. what a load of bully fucking horseshit

3. I expected to get a response like this. They cant take anything seriously. They completely ignore anything that says the good that can come from it.

4. The government will never admit they are wrong..to many people would ask why they spent the money!

5. I just got this email tonight as well.

Typical response. I'm thoroughly disappointed, and beyond frustrated, with their lack of evolution on this topic. It's clear that the massive population of people in full support of legalization will one day overcome this shoddy, misguided system.

Pisses me off.

6. Just got my response a few minutes ago...i was going to post it here but ya beat me to it..lol

but yea...same old B.S. just another day.

7. Words cannot describe how disappointed and upset I am. Another reason to NOT to vote for Obama and TO VOTE for RON PAUL 2012! REAL CHANGE!

8. So basically the government just feeds us the same bullshit that has been disproved countless times, and expect us to just accept what they say like were children.....all while ignoring what the ppl want and know is best? ...yeah....real great country.

9. #9 Deleted member 89359, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
    ' Like many, we are interested in the potential marijuana may have in providing relief to individuals diagnosed with certain serious illnesses. That is why we ardently support ongoing research into determining what components of the marijuana plant can be used as medicine.'

the 'marjuana plant' is CANNABIS. and Cannabis is HEMP.

it is the most elite member of the Kingdom of Plantae.

seeds are an Omega 3&6 rich, complete protein source. its a cancer fighter, hunger warrior , people empowering, poverty destroyer

but somehow yall *****s cant ' determine the components' of the ' marijuana plant' that can be ' used as medicine'

its medication for the planet, NIG-GUH

www.votehemp.com:cool:

10. Yes, thats exactly what they want. You know why? Because thats what the majority of the population does. Too many sheep in this country that listen to the news and think what the news tells them to think. There will never be a revolution in this country cause the sheep are too damn stupid.

MJ is never ever going to be recreationally legal, no matter how many in this country want it. Don't know why people think we are so close to legalization. It will never ever happen. The gov't makes way too much money with MJ the way it is. And with all the medicinal attributes of MJ, people would have their own medicine in their hands for free. Nope, never ever gonna happen.

11. Uh in all seriousness YOU are a perfect example of how they want you to think. "yeah it's never gonna happen ever let's just go home and cry while letting the government trample our rights". If everyone had your attitude we'd still have the Jim Crow laws, alcohol would still be prohibited, there would be no gay marriage and abortion would be illegal.

Honestly even the general population mostly isn't dumb enough to buy into this steaming heap of a response. The number supporting legalization is just gonna keep going up until a few states start legalizing and then it will be a domino effect.

12. [quote name='"Visionary"']
    Uh in all seriousness YOU are a perfect example of how they want you to think. "yeah it's never gonna happen ever let's just go home and cry while letting the government trample our rights". If everyone had your attitude we'd still have the Jim Crow laws, alcohol would still be prohibited, there would be no gay marriage and abortion would be illegal.

Honestly even the general population mostly isn't dumb enough to buy into this steaming heap of a response. The number supporting legalization is just gonna keep going up until a few states start legalizing and then it will be a domino effect.[/quote]

I agree buddy. It'll all we need is one state....

13. No, U misunderstood me. I am not one that doesn't make an effort due to my views from above. I can just step back and realize the fact that even with my participation, it ain't gonna change. Doesn't stop me from trying.

Example, for the first time ever polls are coming back with 50% or more polled being in favor of MJ legalization. now our politicians are supposed to represent the views of their constituents correct? Know how many Senators are in favor of legalizing it, officially? None. Not a one.

I will never give up hope, I will never stop aiding in the fight to have it legalized. I am far from whats wrong with this country and this world. but I can also look at reality, and see that it is no longer about what the people want. it stopped being that long ago.

14. Eh who cares what feds think. After several states legalize through ballot initiatives we'll force them to rethink this and listen to the people. I do fully understand your point though. Our government clearly doesn't give half a shit about public opinion anymore and they're just doing whatever they want for their own agenda. In the end they're just digging their own graves imo.

IMO they're either willfully ignorant or totally corrupt as hell when it comes to the drug war.

15. i say make the plant legal. people will get it whether or not it's legal.

16. Blow up the DEA headquarters. al-Qaeda where you at?

17. We need to spearhead this out in the open....ask the question...
    Why arent you listening?

ask this question in the face of america, and see the truth come out.

The democracy has become a hypocrisy.

18. #19 Skyed, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    It pisses me off. I want to punch Obama right in the nose or something. Addiction? Mental addiction. Emergency visits? LOL.

Fuck you.
    Obama Administration, I challenge you to stop lieing and fucking do some more research, you sicko fucks.

Get the fuck out of the office, Obama.

Respiratory disease? Simple.

Sell vaporizers at Target.

19. Pretty much dismantled since Osama's death...

Al Qaeda is over