So pretty sure Trump called for a coup on Twitter.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AugustWest, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Huh, perhaps better than another CIA coup?

2. This is not just a threat to democracy in Venezuela but the entire world. If Trump and the US manage to depose a democratically elected leader no country is safe.

Venezuela should resist be any means possible including attacking the US in any way it can.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. This is a CIA coup. Full stop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Macron has a 17% approval rating and Paris has been burning for a month.
    Should trump announce LePen as the new president?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If Trump's message succeeds it'll be a first time a foreign leader was deposed by tweet.

Speaking of interfering in other countries' affairs, I couldn't help notice Ireland is getting rather involved in Israel's business. I guess that's different though, eh? Israel Cancels Diplomatic Trip to Ireland in Light of Pending Boycott Law

6. Totally different Ed and you know it. Ireland is passing a law banning the import of goods from Israeli occupied Palestine.

I've a feeling some of you guys are so enamored with your dearly beloved leaders and political parties that you'd defend anything they do. It's similar to how Jihadist fanatics behave.

7. #110 Cactus Ed, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    Jihadist fanatic, eh? You'd have a good point if I was in favor of meddling in Venezuela. I'm done with helping other countries choose the way they live. We get nothing but a hard time for our efforts and I don't want us mixed up in another civil war. I have faith the Venezuelan people will take care of business if everyone else stays out.

One country boycotting another country with the intent of changing their behavior sounds like it's meddling in another country's affairs. If Ireland left the decision to boycott or not up to their citizens I'd consider it differently. I'm not too sure about this, when I brought it up I was just trying to provoke you a bit.:blush: You may be right, I'll have to think about it.

8. Did not mean to imply you were a fanatic Ed, it was a general comment. Apologies.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. First John Bolton and now Elliot Abrams? Whatever happened to draining the swamp?

Elliott Abrams, prominent D.C. neocon, named special envoy for Venezuela

Elliott Abrams, a controversial neoconservative figure who was entangled in the Iran-Contra affair, has been named as a Trump administration special envoy overseeing policy toward Venezuela, which has been rocked by a leadership crisis.

Abrams’ appointment, announced Friday by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, is something of a surprise — President Donald Trump nixed his 2017 bid to be deputy secretary of State after learning that Abrams had criticized him.

Abrams will now be one of several special envoys Pompeo has brought on board to tackle thorny issues. He takes on his role at an unusually volatile time in U.S.-Venezuelan relations.

Earlier this week, Trump announced he no longer recognized the legitimacy of the Venezuelan regime of Nicolás Maduro and said the U.S. now considers opposition leader Juan Guaidó to be the country’s “interim president.” But Maduro refuses to leave power and has declared that Venezuela will cut off diplomatic ties with the United States.

“This crisis in Venezuela is deep and difficult and dangerous, and I can’t wait to get to work on it,” Abrams said in brief remarks to reporters.

A brief overview of Elliot Abrams:

Elliott Abrams (born January 24, 1948) is an American diplomat and lawyer who has served in foreign policy positions for Presidents Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, and Donald Trump. Abrams is considered to be a neoconservative.[2] He is currently a senior fellow for Middle Eastern studies at the Council on Foreign Relations.[3] On January 25, 2019, he was appointed as Special Representative for Venezuela.[4][5]

He is best known[6][7] for his involvement in the Iran-Contra scandal during the Reagan administration, which led to his conviction in 1991 on two misdemeanor counts of unlawfully withholding information from Congress. He was later pardoned by George H.W. Bush. During George W. Bush's first term, he served as Special Assistant to the President and Senior Director on the National Security Council for Near East and North African Affairs. At the start of Bush's second term, Abrams was promoted to be his Deputy National Security Advisor for Global Democracy Strategy, in charge of promoting Bush's strategy of "advancing democracy abroad." In the Bush administration, Abrams was a key architect behind the Iraq War.

MAGA! Drain The Swamp!!!!!!!

11. Sounds like this guy is just who trump needs. Someone else to take the fall for him. Wonder what he’s gettin paid?

12. sounds like you are a reasonable person who is open and, more importantly, willing to consider all sides of the conversation.....refreshing....and like a breath of fresh air compared to the trump haters

I agree. I think we should focus on our own borders and our own problems......that's what makes it difficult. you see bad things happening to someone and you want to reach out a hand, but still....

one of my solutions for making America a better place???? is for everyone to treat each other respectfully and with consideration for one and another

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I'm not a trump hater at all, not a lover either.
    We needed someone to call out the establishment and media badly.
    I'd like him a lot more if he didn't say so much stupid contradicting shit all the time.
    But I like some of his policy stuff, especially the anti war and anti regulation things and most importantly the Supreme Court. I'd like to see him get another pick before it's all over.
    I also sympathize with him as far as the media treatment and the Russia nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. The continuing saga in Venezuela.

15. I don't think either side are the good guys and don't have the slightest idea which side to root for. Having Russia and Cuba on Maduro's side does imply they may be the bad guys but I don't know if the other side is any better. If I can't tell who's the good guys I say we should stay out of it.

16. Stay out of it? America staying out of an oil rich country? Why do you think the military budget is increasing year over year under Trump?

• Like Like x 1