So People are Complaining about The Politics Section

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This.

2. #42 SmokinP, Sep 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2010
    The politics section i think would benefit from a must be :smoke: when entering requirement..:D

Could that be the source of the evil !!!:eek:

Are there DayWalkers amongst us ?[​IMG]

Purge, Purge, Purge, them i say...:D

3. or name calling, for that matter

4. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

[​IMG]

5. Get denied Bill...:)

6. Hahahahahaha.....:laughing:

7. Mad props MedicineAl for posting a classic Ministry song here...

I love this place. We have a good community, generally speaking - people who enjoy the discussion, bouncing ideas off each other, having a laugh with (and at) eachother, and arguing savagely with each other. But that's, of course, the name of the game, and for the most part you can read an interesting debate or exchange on fairly well any given day. Sometimes it seems like we have dry spells, where there aren't any whizzbang threads around, but fairly well any board is going to get like that. I've learned a lot here... and talked to some pretty grand people, many of whom I've learned to respect in spite of our differing viewpoints and many of whom I actually think of as being 'friends', in quite a real sense. Forgive my mushiness... also, I don't think I was quite as open-minded or ready to listen as I was before I started posting here, the discussions here have taught me a lot in the way of diplomacy, debate and respect, as well as a lot about anarcho-capitalism (funnily enough ;)) and the American media... cheers Drone... :D

Merging the Politics board with General sounds like a fucking disaster. I can just picture political threads getting swamped and over ridden by more 'general' threads, and I can similarly picture that it would be only the exiles from Politics who would post political threads. One by one, we'd get tired of sifting through uninteresting threads and give up on posting Politics... unless it was a sub-thread, which wouldn't be any better than it is now and has a whole lotta potential to be worse. I agree with Shade in that it would be nice to see a distinction between political philosophy and general politics, and I similarly agree that the philosophy board tends to get clogged up with supernaturalists... so making a 'political philosophy' sub-thread in the philosophy section would probably equate to spending more time trying to talk people out of their supernaturalism than actually talking political philosophy. Maybe a sub-thread on THIS board...?

Anyhow, whatever complaints are floating around can be easily addressed - don't come here. If it's pissing you off, don't come here. If you're getting offended, don't come here. If you think it's just shit-slinging and you prefer to post in 'General' or whatever, post there and don't come here. Simple, surely?

8. That is absolutely the wrong answer. This forum and every other forum on the City needs to abide by the same rules. The name-calling and disrespect must stop in this forum. There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting your opinion or your beliefs as long as you do it within the forum rules.

If it's "shit-slinging" then it needs to be reported and the violated will be dealt with by the mods.

9. loL, yea right, its politics, its going to be argumentative and more offensive than other forums, if your of the belief that people can voice and respect different views without some level of disrespect your delusional....If you ain't gotta thick skin, stay away from political discussion.

I mean look at Washington, never see any disrespect on the house floor, they're above that.:rolleyes:

10. There's very little in the form of "omg you're such a fucking dickwad piece of dog shit" around here. I think I've seen this kind of blatant, irrational disrespect and name-calling maybe a handful of times (if that) in my entire time being here.

What's more common, from what I can tell, is people just being rather blunt with each other--especially when things get heated. People call each other's bullshit. People challenge each other's ideas, sometimes abrasively.

Aside from that, sometimes insults or disrespect is received when none was really given. There's a good amount of potential for subjectivity in this area. People need to be just as responsible for their own perceptions as they are for what attitude they approach others with.

Poster A: "That doesn't seem very bright."
    Poster B: "OMG why are you calling me stupid?!?"

Granted, this is just one example (and perhaps something of an extreme one), but should Poster A be held responsible for what Poster B subjectively took from their comment? People need to deal with their own insecurities, perceptions, and ultimately what they take from any given exchange; IMO.

Politics tends to be a contentious subject of debate. This is nothing new. If people can't deal with that type of environment, then I happen to agree with AHuman--they shouldn't subject themselves to it.

Personally, I don't come here to second guess and censor everything I submit due to fear of someone taking personal offense where there was none intended. I come here to share, learn, challenge, and be challenged. Conflicting ideas, minds, thoughts, and words are an integral part of that.

11. I don't see enough!!!! i want a return to the storied traditions of duels being fought on the floor of the senate, well not on the floor so to speak...but because of the floor..

this issue is another battlefield in, what a good friend of mine once referred to as, the pussification of america. there is a very real portion of society that thinks we should put on the kid gloves for everything. they don't want feelings hurt, they don't want dangerous behavior by teenagers, they want rules for boxing matches, and they want politics to be civil.

i say BOO, FRIGGIN, HOO. life is rough, wear a helmet.

12. Exactly! And the mod's, or most of the mod's will disagree with this, but y'all need to back off. Your not helping when you over react to claims of disrespect, sometimes you just make it worse than if you would just let the shit slide. If its blatant "Your a fucked up dick wad" disrespect, then yes by all means intervene, but if its something like, "your an angry liberal", then use common sense and see it for what it is.

Politics is not a touchy feely, warm hug kinda debate.

13. i never see mods overreacting to stuff like that in here. I think they do a damn good job removing the disrespectful members and trolls while still allowing heated debate to continue.

14. If the tone and rhetoric of the forum is off-putting for new users and there are more users complaining about the forum than users who are posting in it, we have a HUGE problem.

15. Many of the regulars here are of differing ideologies and philosophical view points, yet they continue to be regulars. If there's such a huge problem as you would suggest, then how can the aforementioned be possible?

16. AK infinity. :wave:

17. #57 garrison68, Sep 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2010

This is exactly what I've seen happen on other forums, where membership was essentially reduced to the same few people carrying on, either agreeing or disagreeing, only with each other. Many of these types are very hostile to new members, regardless of their political persuasion. It becomes a incestuous little party of members who are only comfortable with their known group of contacts, presenting the same insults and arguments to one another year after year after year. There are already signs of this happening at GC, which is a shame.

18. I don't notice any supposed hostility to new members. I do notice hostility to gross ignorance or poor conduct--two traits which seem to be common amongst newer posters. But again, this hostility doesn't seem to evolve from the fact that they are new.

19. I've noticed newcomers to the forum being far more abrasive than the regulars. I've also noticed a lot of newcomers who are very poor debaters, and resort to insults much more easily than anyone else. I have a few examples off the top of my head, also.

20. And you wonder why libertarians hate democracy? ;)

Not to sound like the cocky bastard that I am, but people who can conduct civil and informative political discourse are obviously a minority.

Probably why kids on the football team were more popular than the ones on the debate team...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.