So my friend gave me this monster...

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Cube_Shroomer, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ok so my buddy showed up the other day with some big ass lizard and some big ass cage, and said, "here, you wanna take care of this thing? somebody at work doesnt want it anymore"
    Before reading, know this: I did not harm him, he is not dead, he is not fake, and i did not use any crazy color spectrum, The purple is his color not paint or some shit.

This lizard is clearly a work of art.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By My hand for comparison
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Underbelly
    [​IMG]

Do to this fact:
    the generic name (Uromastyx) is derived from the Ancient Greek words ourá (οὐρά) meaning "tail" and mastigo (Μαστίχα) meaning "whip" or "scourge"..... I named him Scourge. Seems like a brutal name for such a bad ass reptile.

Their most comon name is a spiny tailed lizard.

whata yall think? isnt he precious. He does some cool shit too. he wags his tail, lies on his back and lets me rub his belly, just chills out on his stomach and lets me pet his head. hes an awesome animal.

2. Keep him off his back. Lizards do not have diaphrams so holding him upside down and stroking his stomach will cause him to go into a trance so he can conserve oxygen.

Do you have a light for him? A tank? Some crickets?
    He's a coldblooded animal and NEEDS warmth to survive.

Getting reading on how to keep him alive. Or your little friend will die.

3. hes a beauty.

4. Sweet!

5. Why is the nail on your pinky so long? lol

Maybe it just looks that way in the pic. Coke nail? :p

And awesome animal. Take care of it.

6. #6 Cube_Shroomer, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
    ive already done tons of reading, buddy gave me a cage, a heat rock, a bowl for his wet lettuce ( hes a dessert animal so he really only gets his water from plants) and a hide away rock. oh and a nice heating light. the cage is like a fuckin 75 gallon glass tank. its great. little guy looks really cozy

i have many exotic reptiles so i know how to take care of damn near all of them. this one is actually omnivorous, but at his age he should really just be eating plants.

about him being on his back, it wont hurt him, all my reptiles seem to enjoy it. and i dont leave him there for more than maybe a minute.

7. Also lizards are very susceptible to disease, commonly salmonella. You should take him to vet and have him checked and see what you need to do to keep him from getting infected.

8. Right on the money.

9. Salmonella naturally occurs in reptiles, the key is to wash your hands after handling them so YOU don't contract it. The key is not handling their feces and then putting your hands in your mouth or on food.

Salmonella CANNOT be eliminated from reptiles, so bringin him to the vet isn't what you need to do. Almost all reptiles carry salmonella. And I do mean all of them.

10. Yeah he need a heat lamp dude. foraging toys are great too, for lizards they're rocks you fill with bugs and they come out of toys so the lizard has to hunt for his food.

11. Uromastyx.. I've had a few and i breed bearded dragons also.

12. lol, thanks man, i got a heat lamp and a heat rock, lots of fun stuff from my old baby leopard geckos cage, (plastic dead tree stump, bridge, ect.) but like i said, this reptile is really mainly a herbivore at its age

13. i use to breed leopard geckos, and bearded dragons as well ;) i love exotic reptiles. they are such a blast.

14. the more you know...

coolio

15. That's fucking AWESOME! If someone gave me that I'd love them forever haha! Gratz on it!

16. He's gorgeous, treat him well :).

17. I used to have one of those which I kept in a tank with two bearded dragons. They're pretty neat lizards, except their shit smells god awful

18. That sounds like the chillest fucking lizard thing ever. Awesome.

19. he really is. thanks

20. My friend has a very similar bright green one, and I was playing with it yesterday. For such a rough/not-very-cute-at-first-glance kind of pet, they sure are fun.