So My Friend Gave Me This Light...

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by tropicaldiesel, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Hey guys got a quick question I know it might sound stupid but ,
    I got a light off my buddy .. Its like a normal socket with a reflector on it that just plugs into the wall. He said he used a 400 Watt light in BUT from what I understand they dont make CFL's that are 400 watts ? So Im wondering if theres anyway he could of modified to take HPS or Metal Halide light .. I know they usually need a ballast but i just dont understand how it uses a 400 Watt ? Is there anyway he could have made it self ballasted or something ? Im fucking stumped . thanks in advance !

2. He prolly is listing the equalivant wattage. Like a 23w CFL is advertised to be the equal of a 100w incadesent. They do make very large CFLs like 80-100watters that are equal to alot more.

3. It could be a mogul socket, looks like a regular socket but larger. Try to screw a regular lightbub in it -- don't turn it on or plug it in, just see if it fits.

You may have a mogul socket and reflector hood that is intended to take a HPS or MH bulb and needs a ballast, which would not necessarily be included with the lamp fixture.

But if a regular bulb fits that socket then probably can take any regular bulb. Post some pics.

4. #4 tropicaldiesel, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
    @toastybiz .. I don't think it requires a ballast because its wired with the two prong things that plug into the wall. I think rhapsodyrcks was right when he said its a CFL socket just he told me the equalivant wattage instead of the actually CFL wattage .. Cuz I was looking around online and found some 105W CFLS that equal 400 incadesent watts . .
    But i'll def get some pictures up as soon as I can .

5. lets have a look then.

6. I'll have some pics up by Wednesday, Got to get a new cord for my cam