so.. my computer is confused..

Discussion in 'General' started by straitsb, Apr 17, 2004.

1. so I had to burn a cd quicky and my brother just moved out with his 52x cd burner. So i had to pop my 24x burner in my computer right quick. All goes well, boots up, go to check to see if i have two cd roms in my computer now.. only one. So I right click and hit eject, and what happens? Both cdroms open. haha. wtf. I just hope it'll burn the cd I need :D

2. haha amussing

3. you have to change the jumper settings on the cd rom probably. Was it set to primary or slave? and were the IDE cables hooked up accordingly to that?

wait.. internal or external? if its external, does it use usb or firewire ports? are you plugging it into a powered outlet on the computer?

if its internal, yeah check to see if the jumper settings are all right.

heres a pic of the jumper settings on the back of a cd rom. (circled in red) This particular drive is set as slave, hence the clips for slave have been selected. To set it as master, just pull the plastic clip off the pins (bottom of red circle) and snap them onto the two pins under the master column.. and then when putting it back into your computer, make sure its plugged into the according IDE cable. Theres two connections on each IDE cable, the one on the end is for master, and the on in the center is slave. plug the right on into them...

Attached Files:

4. yep. Aren't computers fun!? I can imagine most people's eyes glazing over reading that.

5. lol went right over my head lol;)

6. LOL, Grass Roots. You're going to run me out of a job as the resident PC advisor. :D

7. Woah... I have to say I'm pretty astounded that this isn't like common knowledge. How do you people WORK with computers!? I'm not trying to be offensive, but that's seriously some basic shit.

My last comp problem had to do with RAS and CAS memory timings and non-synchronas front side bus transfer. (i.e. CAS timing at 2.0 RAS timing at 3.0 with FSB of 200MHz.) Had to bump the RAS to 2.5 and up memory voltage to
    ~1.65.

And you guys are mystified by jumpers :)

Maybe this is is why Dell is doing so well as a company. They play on people's ignorance.

As for your problem, make sure you're on seperate IDE channels. Most computers offer two. 0 and 1, each with a master and slave relationship. First your hard drive, most likey its master on channel 0. Then if you have a CD burner it must be MASTER on channel 1. You want to make your highest bandwidth device the MASTER. HArddrives will run at 66/100/133 Mb/sec if they are IDE. Typical data transfer rates are about 16MB/sec. CD burners are very very close. And reguire that their buffers do not empty. Otherwise you are left with a blank CD.

Your problem seems to be in the detection end. Put them on seperate channels. I.E. HDD MAster 0 CD burner Master 1. Then place the other drive on the HDD channel as SLAVE.

Be sure your cable is oriented correctly as well. Most IDE ribbons have three connections on it. One end goes into your mainboard (motherboard for those of you from the 80s) and other END goes into the MASTER on that channel. The middle connection is for the SLAVE.

Sorry to have to ramble, but the problem is this stuff is more like a commen sense issue, so its hard to explain. Again, not trying to put anyone down.

8. YOu can see in this picture:

My pride and joy, the green giant. Total build time now has been 3 years. I've just been buying newer and newer parts. I'll post specs if ANYONE is interested :)

My 19" LCD and 17" CRT. That blinding white square inbetween my computer and my right monitor is my Toshiba PDA (e335).

My Bose headphones are right there as well as my Nike sunglasses.

The back left above my 19" monitor is my wireless accespoint and my 8 port switch.

Lastly my laptop is a new (as of november) IBM laptop T40.

You can kind of see my Oakley sunglasses nested way back near some papers as well as that red box with a replica of my car. An 85' Fiero GT.

There actually a few things not visible, but no biggie. Just thought I'd show off a little bit.

Attached Files:

9. yes, we're all impressed...

but my rig is better...

amd xp 2800+ (@2.2ghz)
    abit nf-7 nforce2 mb
    asus gf4 ti4200 (@350/680)
    1024mb kingston ddr400 pc3200
    2x 80gig 7200 rpm (on sereal ata 150 raid setup)
    550 watt aspire turbo case psu

Attached Files:

10. Yeah...but does it run Linux?

11. ^^^ the sorriest piece of shit can run linux.

but yea, I knew the jumpers where messed up. I took some classes in high school, almost got A+ certified, and real close to taking my CISCO certifcation test. But yea, the only reason I needed to burn a CD was to burn an ISO of Mandrake 10 and run it on my rig :D

it's got...

2.56 GHz P4
    768 MB RAM
    Nividia Geforce FX 5600 256 MB
    40 gig HDD

nothing special.. but it'll play the hell out any game I want :D

But yea, Mandrake has a nice clean install. Runing KDE 3.2 or 3.1, something. So far, so good.

12. and the sad part is i know what there talking about = (

13. i have windoes XP pro and gentoo linux running on separate partitions on the raid setup...

so damn straight...

14. Neo WEC you are seriously a total nerd. were you that chinese kid in my school's orchestra with braces and really big glasses?

15. Wait dude, your specs are close, but you didn't even know mine.

Athlon 2800+ (actually 2500+ oc @ 2GHz with 200MHx FSB) So, I guess that's probably about 3200+

1GB Kingston PC3500 433MHz DDR SDRAM (clocked down to 400MHz)

nForce-2 MCP chipset

Radeon 9800 Pro video card oc @375MHz RAMDAC and 300MHz DDR VRAM

Leadtek WinFast Player

80GB Maxtor ATA133 with 8MB cache
    120GB Maxtor ATA133 with 8MB cache

Pioneer DVD+/- RW Drive
    Pioneed DVD-ROM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

My laptop is a 1.5GHz centrino (roughtly a 2.6GHz P4 northwood) when plugged in.

512MB PC2700 RAM

Radeon 7500 ( :( ) 32MB video card

I'll conceed you win in the harddrive area, but that's about it. Are those blacklights in your case? If so, I've got some too!! Its crazy :)

As for Linux, my laptop runs Linux full time, and my desktop (for gaming purposes) runs windows xp on the 120GB drive and Debian (Woody) on the 80Gb Drive. I also run a file server off of the 80Gb drive with a dedicated LAN line to the drive through the mainboard (thank you EPOX for your 8RDA3+)

16. wow you are a nerd

17. Damn straight!

Its what I get paid for :)

18. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abit NF7-S 2.0
    2 x 512mb Buffalo / Winbond with CH-5 chips @ 2-2-2-11
    2600+ Tbred @ 227x11 = 2497 MHz
    Radeon 9500np softmodded to 9700pro, OCed to 371/310
    DangerDen watercooling on CPU and GPU
    http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7579678

I demand to be addressed as "King Geek" from now on.

edit - futuremark doesn't seem to be working right now . . . but I get 17900 marks in 2k1.

also - if you don't understand what this stuff means, then just dont bother reading it.

19. those are some nice benchmark scores.. i've never benched mine... abit makes some nice main boards, huh?

neo a 2500+ oc'ed to 2 gigs is not the equivilant to a 3200+. A 3200+ runs at 2.2 gigs which is what a my 2800+ is clocked at...

btw, whats your line of work? you say you get paid for "being a nerd"...

EDIT: Yeah, i actually only have one black light in my case, and its in the powersupply, just that all the tips on the power connectors are UV sensitive... the other fans are just leds...