So my computer happens to be broken...

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by ciao stupido, Nov 14, 2011.

1. So last week my compy finally kicked the bucket on me. It was my own rig I built myself, so I'm trying to figure out which component crapped out on me. Now when I hook it up to power, it doesn't even power up or boot into BIOS. I think i've narrowed it down to the ATX Power Supply i'm running, or the MoBo.

I'm trying to figure out how to diagnose the both of them, anyone have any tips they could give me that could help?

Like, it should atleast turn on & boot into BIOS, and it doesn't power up, which is sorta leading me to believe its a motherboard failure. I hope not, but then again I dunno...

2. If it doesnt turn on thats PSU. if the pSU turns on and the fan spins and all that good stuff then it could be something else. Do you have another psu you could plug in temprarily to test?

3. Sounds like the PSU.

4. I would guess the PSU. Like PC Gamer said, if the PSU has the fan spinning and whatnot it is not likely it died. Though you can take it one step further to ensure it does/doesn't work and check your leads with a multimeter. Should have 12v, 5v, or 3.3v depending on which lead.

Usually a PSU will burn out before a motherboard anyway.