So... my brother just moved out

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by bhuddakris, Jan 16, 2009.

1. #1 bhuddakris, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2009
    For those with siblings or no siblings, I strongly suggest you read this. I hope that it can better all your relationships with your family/siblings/friends. Sorry if it's so long, I just wanted to express my thoughts that have been in my head for the longest time.

My brother is moving...
    and I'm having mixed feelings. Hes 6 years older than I am and because my parents lack any real parenting skills because of the cultural limitations, my brother basically raised me. He went to college when I was 12 and he moved back when I was 16 to help with my family's financial problem and as my parents would say, "Take care of your brother". I felt so bad for him because he had to live at home and he was constricted to living at home because my parents were insanely strict about everything. However, he always tried his best to help me get my freedoms and more flexibility in my life.

I never really appreciated this nor did I realize what he did for me. This computer, my google phone, my itouch, my car, my flatscreen tv (I know I sound spoiled) were ALL from him. My parents didn't buy much for me. The one drawback of having him home was that i couldn't have people over as often, etc. I was looking forward to him moving out, cause I could hotbox my car and worry less about getting caught. I was SO excited as to all the possibilities of hardcore stupid shit I could do when he is gone.

He caught me with bud and sat me down and talked to me. I broke down and we talked about everything about our lives. See, I've always had this border to him and I felt that it was awkward to talk to him and feel close to him. I was super paranoid, because was a GREAT student (top 1% of his IB program and accepted to Stanford and Dartmouth) and the "perfect" kid my parents could ask for. He didn't tell my parents.

So he finally got a job paying him 6 digits a year, and I saw this move on its way 4 months ago. I was happy for him and didn't reall care too much.

About 30 minutes ago my dad came home from work and my mom and my brother all left to go to the airport. I told them I didn't want to go. My conscious mind was thinking that I was too lazy. My heart was saying that I wouldn't be able to take it. The last thing he said to me as the door closed was, "Bye Kevin, remember, you can always call me if you want to talk about anything"

So now I'm sitting here in his room. We used to hang out and watch tv, play xbox and whatnot in here. I grab my comp and sit on the chair, look at his empty desk, the table where we would sit and talk, and start bawling. I would like to consider myself one of the "tough" guys that aren't effected easily emotionally. But everything I am and everything he's saved me from becoming, I owe him my life. It is unexplainable how much he's influenced my life with the good in his heart. I know I'll miss him and it hurts too see him go, but he has to move on with his life. I know i'll see him again, but nothing will be the same again. My brother has known me all my life and besides my parents, he knows me the most out of anyone. I just remembered watching a home video of when I was a baby, and my 6 year old brother yelling, "I want to hold him! Let me hold him mom!"

I love my brother so much. The only reason why I wrote that was because I know he won't read it.

I find it kind of ironic that I'm posting this here, but I hope you guys will read this. I really need some support right now. Sure I can talk to my friends, but I would like GC's input on this

Thanks for reading

2. i totally feel your pain, man. my big brother and i are best friends and he just signed up to join the military.

i am devastated.

3. +rep for a good read.

4. I can only imagine the feeling. I have not felt this shitty for years. Just try to stay as positive as possible.

5. yeaa, I know how much your bro can be a big influence on you. My step brother is pretty much my actual brother. He taught me the ways of the smokin trade and we would talk about alot of stuff. He's moved out now but I see him occasionally.

But yea man, sorry to hear that. +rep for having a having a strong relationship with your brother, and you will for sure see him again. Nothing has changed, how could it? He's left the house, but your still gonna see him and shit. Dont focus on the negative, focus only on the positives, and the negatives will take care of themselves.

6. Thats really sad to hear man.

Shit happens though. You knew your brother and you would seperate sometime...

I hope you start to feel better.

7. I actually was the one moving out and it happened about 2 years ago. I didn't think it would do much but it was two or three days after I was living in a different state that it all hit me. I was a basket case. I missed my little sister so much. I eventually moved back and when I came back she actually let me live with her and her baby. It was a real reality check when I was leaving. I don't know if I could do it again.

8. Im 7 years older than my brother and we try to get along but fight a lot. I just dont like some of the things he does and try to help him but it doesnt work. Youve made me realize that he really needs me becasue everyone else is also that way to him. Thanks.

9. my brother died in a car accident when i was one. i wish we could have hung out! i wish i got to meet him.

it's true what they say, you never really know what you have until it's gone

good read! thanks man, call him and tell him

10. Wow man that's some pretty deep shit right there. I'm 2 years older than my bro and I aspire to have the type of influence your brother had on you. The brotherly bond is inexplicably strong and I hope everything stays the same between you two.

11. I can totally respect this dude. I would seriously let him know how you feel though, I had a similar situation with my brother and now were best friends basically, in a great way.

Call him up just to say hi. Make sure he knows you miss him.

12. i totally feel you on this one. ive been away from my fam now for 7 months. it sucks cuz yeah i miss my friends and all that but i miss watching my lil bro grow up. i missed his first formal dance and first time spending christmas and new years without him. so bummed, i pretty much just stayed in my room thinking about california. for me wut really hit hom was when i saw his myspace messages btw him and his friends, his friends would ask him how his xmas was and hed just be like oh...not the same without my bro. its crazy how sibling bonds are.

oh well life goes on. i just gotta tough it out. its nice to vent tho. :D

13. Sounds like you already are, but be thankful for your brother. I have one that's 6 years older as well, and I also have the memory of him bare naked choking me burned into my mind. The bastard has his own child and still lives with his mom at the age of 27. I can't have my own privacy when I come home for college. The last time I tried to sleep in my own room, he woke me up fucking his girlfriend right beside me.

Just be thankful.

14. Its alright man. He's off to doing better things, and you sound like a good person so sit tight and wait for that karma to start rolling in. :)

The world needs more people like you

15. Show him what you just wrote.

16. Damn, although I'm an only child I can't say much but, keep on keeping on man.

17. I love my older brother as well but were stepbrothers but spent most of our young years together, hes 4 years older than me but He has been a good brother and I hope to get a closer relationship with him after I grow up and grad college. Hes currently starting his Jr. Accountant job in a big firm, part of Wake Forest Grad School program and he will be making a quarter-mil a year, in 5 years at the latest. Im really stoked that hes guarenteed successful and I will follow in his footsteps.

18. yea my brother just knocked up his girlfriend and now hes movin out in a few months its goin to suck

19. OP, you have just experienced one of life's revelations.....true unconditional love. No offense, but before your brother moved out, you seem to be a little on the ungrateful side and not as appreciative as you should've been. That is all the in the past though. The good news is, from here on, you and your brother are closer to each other than ever. Real love only becomes stronger with distance and it is great that you can share that with someone like an older brother, especially one that pretty much raised you to be who you are today. Just remember you will see him again when the time is right, and he will be more happier and successful than ever.

20. QFT, Take whiskey's advice and you won't regret the results. :wave:
    Do it!!!!!!