So it's time to harvest! But when to flush? Oops!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by ThatCrash, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I didn't make a mistake, my plant is healthy and not even close to harvesting. I'd like to know some information before I chop her down though. (I searched the threads; flushing threads and harvesting threads.

I'm just a bit confused, I know when to harvest the plant by looking at the triches and pistils (clear/cloudy/amber triches and white to amber/brown/orange pistils) usually wait until the bulbs and hair are 50-80% not white or clear.

So when am I suppose to flush a week or two before I even know when to harvest? How am I suppose to know that in a week or two it will be ready to harvest; plant showing signs of milky bulbs and amber hairs; if I don't even know if the plant will have those signs prior to a week or two before flushing.

Would like some help! Thanks!

2. I can't say I have the answer, because I've only started my own first run and have yet to reach harvest(2-3 weeks away!)
    but from other experience working with a seasoned grower, he usually flushed the last 2 weeks before chopping them down. For him, it was usually determined by the genetics, going by the typical "flower time" for most of his crops.

And I guess this is how I plan on doing so as well. My strains are 55 to 60 day flower time, so being at day 40 tomorrow, I plan to begin flushing after the next feeding, which is in a day or 2.
    I think it's easier to determine flushing time when you have an idea of days to flower, genetics help us a fair amount these days to figure the time of maturity for different strains
    Like I said, I can't know for sure. But thats the fun of growing, its all a learning experience! :)

3. Yeah, that's what I've read to flush 2 weeks before chopping them down, but hard to tell when I'm suppose to chop them down.

That is true! My Berry Ryder is a 0-8week auto, I'm sure its a 60 day from seed to harvest, I'll start flushing on day 50 (I'm doing Deep Water Cult.)

My question is still left unanswered, lets say you planted a seed and the genetics are not known. How will you know when to start flushing before you decide to start harvest, because you can say you are gonna flush then two weeks later the plant is still not mature enough to harvest, so I just want to know do I have to wait for all the trichs/hairs to turn into a milky cloud/amber before flushing?

4. Well if you want to get technical, you dont have to flush at all. Then of course, your bud wouldnt taste very good. From what I've taken from it, you can flush whenever you'd like. I've known growers who swear by flushing for only 3 days, they say anything longer ruins the overall taste.

I, myself, believe 2 weeks is a good amount of time to get the more undesirable flavors out of the final product, when using nutritional supplements. If you grow completely organically, you probably dont even really need to flush.

You're just going to have you use your best judgement.

With no knowledge of genetics, I guess I would just carefully watch the size of the nugs, and as they develop and thicken up, watch for the first sign of changing trichomes(caps swelling on the little "hairs" or color changing to milky/amber) and begin flushing right then. Might not be exactly at the "2 week before harvest" mark, but without any other way to tell maturity time, I'd say that would be a fair way to tell when to begin flushing.

Remember, flushing is somewhat optional. Some growers barely do it at all

5. when you start flowering count this as day 1 if your plants require 8weeks (56 days) to flower then from flowering day 1 to flowering day 56 is when your plants will be done,flush 2 weeks before your plants get to their max grow date of 56 days and this will flush out the nutes...does that help?

6. veg days dont count in the time from beggining to end......

7. THE ONLY reason to flush would be to remove chemical salts from your growing medium. If youre growing in organic soil or using organic nutrients then dont bother.

I havent flushed in years.

j

8. Hey there, I've actually been quite confused on veg days and flower days.
    So lets say I ordered the Berry Ryder from Attitude (click here)

It says that flowering time is 0-8 weeks, my strain is an autoflower, so the 0-8 weeks doesn't start until it starts to flower? or since this is an autoflower weeks 0-8 start from seed?

That's awesome! What kind of nutrients do you use for hydroponics?

Thanks guys!

9. as soon as you see buds start counting, most strains are 45-56 day strains the link you posted didn't work but i am going to say it will start budding after 2 months giving you 60ish days to finish flowering,