So it has come to this...may have to quit

Discussion in 'General' started by TheHempress, Mar 6, 2012.

1. So last year I made a lot of healthy changes to my life. I lost about 65 lb and I quit smoking cigarettes. Here's the problem. I CANNOT stop eating when I smoke weed. I just eat and eat until my stomach feels like it might burst. I know that I am compensating for the missing "after smoke" cigarette. It really sucks. I still have about another 75lb to lose, and I can't see a way around it unless I quit weed completely. I don't want to do that. :( I love marijuana. Any ideas to beat this? This isn't your typical munchie problem. Any other former cigarette smokers in the same boat?

2. Never smoked cigaretes, but I stopped getting the munchies when I realized I'm not hungry, I'm just not full. Will power is the key, will power is key.

3. Exactly what Bob said. Congrats on quitting cigs! Just use the power of your mind man.

4. Take hunger suppression pills. The only ones I've taken are lipo 6 black, and they work amazing at suppressing appetite. It's a herbal supplement, there is nothing illegal about it and it can be bought on amazon and even at some fitness/GNC stores. It's sold as a fat burner, and it will help you lose fat with exercise; but the most noticeable effects I received from it was appetite suppression, which means you wont eat as much, which will help you lose weight.

I'd take 3 pills in the morning (30 min before breakfast) and I wouldn't be very hungry during the day. I went from eating huge meals to eating smaller meals the very first day I took the pills. They work the first day you use them. Of course you aren't supposed to take them permanently, you're only supposed to take them for a few months then stop, but even after you stop taking them the appetite suppression is still present. In other words, after you stop taking the pills you still don't feel like eating a lot.

Even when I was high, which was frequently, I didn't get the munchies. I was thirsty, but my appetite was still suppressed. You don't have to get lipo 6 black, but go to your local fitness/GNC store, or google, and look for hunger/appetite suppression pills. They're going to be sold as diet pills.

5. I'm sure you've already thought of this but in the odd case that you haven't, replace all the shit for healthy stuff.

Like, get a bag of those mini carrots and when you get high just go to town on those things, get some ranch maybe too? It won't exactly solve the problem entirely but it will sure help

6. #6 TheHempress, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012

That's the problem though...I'm not eating because I'm hungry or even that I think I am, I'm shoving food in my mouth in place of the cigarette I used to have. In fact, I'm eating to the point of pain.

7. #7 Makizushi, Mar 6, 2012
    smoke, and then have snacks that will help you in your weight loss, not hinder you.

ie; celery, carrots, sunflower seeds, etc.

PS. you make it sound like you NEED to eat. what if you simple realized this fact, and did NOT eat a thing? nothing would happen. so don't eat, and quit worrying.

& congrats on losing 65 lbs so far. you can lose many more if you keep focused!

8. I tried cold turkey once and it didn't last. I got an E-cig from my friend and I'm using non-nicotine, fruit flavored glycerine since I no longer need the nicotine and with the action of smoking the E-cig I've just convinced myself its no different from an actual cigarette.

Also, when I quit I started going to the gym more frequently and just being more active canceled out whatever weight I would have gained when I quit smoking

9. Or you could always replace your after cig for an after joint and be forever high

I smoke 2 joints before I smoke 2 joints and then I smoke 2 more

10. just smoke more weed in place of those ciggaretes

11. Well eat raw broccoli instead. You burn 7 calories for every one you eat, it takes more energy to digest it than the broccoli contains.

12. Good stuff^^^^^

OP good luck in all aspects, Buttt, I really hope you find your happy medium rather than stoping things you love :)

13. #13 Ean, Mar 6, 2012
    Only works well when you're growing your own or getting it nice and cheap. I can't see quitting something that I get for $5.25 a pack with something that can be upwards of $20 per gram.

14. I haven't gained any weight since I quit. I actually lost a few pounds. I think that's because I only really smoke on the weekends, so I do well the rest of the week. But it sucks when all of my work seems to be undone from two days of binging. I gained 10lb since Friday. Now I know how weight loss works and I know I didn't gain 10lb of fat. I know at least 9 of that is water gain because my sodium levels were through the roof. But damn, it is discouraging.

15. keep focused. keep goals. you'll lose all the weight you want.

good luck!

16. I'm going to try the carrot binge next time and tell DF to keep his cakes and cookies and chips and peanut butter eggs to himself.

17. Try getting in to the habit of keeping a water bottle with you at all times when smoking. I find that drinking water or seltzer can be just as satisfying as engorging on munchies.

18. I've gotten into the habit of eating before I get high, so I don't get a case of the munchies at all really... and if I do, cold water helps a lot.

19. My ex personal trainer smoked weed lol and she knew I did, she told me to drink lots of water and eat a protein bar.

A lot of the times when we feel hungry, we're actually thirsty. Fill up with water and eat a protein bar or have some healthy snacks available.

hungrygirl.com has lots of recipes for traditional foods we eat out the house that can be made at home for a fraction of the calories. Good luck.

20. Thank you, that's good advice. I guess I'm afraid that if I don't eat, I might have a cigarette. Being a smoker scares me more than being fat forever, I guess. Deep down, maybe. I quit cold turkey and I can manage all of the other cravings. It's just this one that is giving me so much trouble. Sometimes I tell myself "go ahead, keep eating! Don't be so hard on yourself! Quitting is hard and you deserve this!" I wish I could tell that voice to go to hell. Yes, I deserve praise for quitting, BUT FOOD ISN'T PRAISE! Food is for nourishment, it is not a reward for good behavior. I wish I could remember that when it matters.

I wish I could talk about this on my weight loss forum, but I don't want them to know that I smoke weed. I know all of the responses would tell me to quit.