So is tobacco really that bad for your health?

Discussion in 'General' started by MyBusDriverYells, Oct 7, 2013.

1. I've heard countless stories of friends grandmothers and grandfathers smoking since their 20's well into their 60's to 80's without any major lung problems.

So what's the deal then?

I smoke cigarettes every so often and occasionally a cigar. Even then it's is not very common for me to be smoking tobacco. So please don't give me the "Tobacco is discusting have fun slowly killing yourself. Just smoke weed." yada yada. Keep those opinions to yourself and post what you think is right.

Sent from the void.

2. there's no question that tobacco does more harm than good. but, i'm of the opinion that it still does some good.

i have severe anxiety issues, so whenever i can't smoke weed, i'll smoke menthol's on occasion. i've heard that it can (kinda) ease folks with OCD, and Schizophrenia---i'm not sure how true this is because i'm no doctor.

with all that being said, i think the primary answer is genetic make-up and your current state of health.

3. Yea I dont think it's totally confirmed that tobacco is harmful, I think the jury's still out on this one. 

4. My grandmother died from cancer due to cigarettes. Tell me again how it's not harmful

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known ~ Carl Sagan

5. why would he tell you again if he never said they weren't?

he was asking a question.

6. #6 Weedity, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
    When I used to smoke tobacco I could feel blood rush through my body and it always felt constricted, it was harder to exercise, i would run out of breath, my breath tasted/smelled like shit, girl found it unnattractive, fucks with sleeping patterns, nicotine itself is unhealthy,yeaaah not worth the addiction.

I quit, feel amazing. No regrets. Fuck tobacco....

7. It's been confirmed for many, may years. :smoke:

8. Tobacco is harmful to your health. This is a fact. A quick google search will give whatever evidence you need to convince you of that.

9. Really? Damn I must have missed that in the news. They should let people know like maybe say so on the side of the cigarette pack or something

10. #10 llllllllll, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
    Anyone who says smoking cigs has any benefits or "good" sides... Just dont listen to them ever again.

The "soothing" effect smokers get can be derived from any type of repeated activity, such as meditation, breathing etc.

Are cigs bad for your health? Absolutely, I dont think there is any disputing that.

Picture of long term smokers lung below compared to healthy lung
    [​IMG]

You dont gotta be a doctor to tell ^that^ aint healthy

11. Moderation in everything is key

12. You just said that it does some good and I replied.

13. My friend always has bad breath because of all the loose cigarettes he smokes, so unattractive

14. Aside from the nicotine. Tobacco also contains stuff that acts like a MAOI Inhibitor which is an anti-depressant.  I think it's effect is very brief though.

This is why smoking a cigarette feels totally different than when getting straight nicotine from patches, gum, or vaping. At least for people who are addicted to cigarettes.

15. Smoke of any kind is harmful. Tobacco itself without additives is nowhere near as harmful as commercial insecticide-laden tobacco.

It actually does have beneficial uses, like treating motion sickness, thanks to the scopolamine.

It can also help with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, thanks to its anticholinergic properties.

It contains atropine, which is useful for people that suffer a heart attack.

Native americans smoked tobacco.  I doubt cancer was very common for them ;)

16. might as well rename this segment as the 'Official Cigarette Haters Thread'.

17. People have smoked tobacco for millenia.. in moderation pure tobacco is really not that bad, especially if you're an occasional pipe/hookah smoker..

The problem today is that commercial cigarettes aren't even remotely close to pure tobacco.. there are thousands of chemical additives in cigarettes, not to mention pesticides dusted over all the tobacco grown in the US, that really make cigarettes poisonous & viciously addictive

I'm sure most people here already knew this, but yeah

18. What is there to like? The very minor things it does good compared the the tremendously bad health effects have just goes to show, tobacco sucks....

I used to enjoy the shit out of it...till I realized it was hurting me

19. That's a pretty narrow-minded thing to say o_O   Of course tobacco has medicinal properties.  Nightshades are full of pharmacological agents that are highly useful, and even life-saving.  While it's true that cigs are bad for you, due to the smoke, they can save your life in certain instances.  Why do you think alot of deckhands smoke?  To keep them from puking their guts out due to motion sickness. 

You're showing blind judgement, and that's just as bad as the people that demonize cannabis.

I said nothing about tobacco in my post.

Deckhands can take motion sickness pills which have likely no negative effects 50 years down the road. 

if you want to smoke cancer sticks than be my guest, but dont try and persuade other people that they are healthy :laughing: