Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

So is Marijuana addictive?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by whiteka6, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I mean I would think anything that alters the brain chemistry could led to at least slight addiction. But I also hear people say it's not addictive at all. I've seen papers arguing both sides as well.

2. its addictive as one is addicted to masterbating, its psychological.

#:cool:

3. Not psychically addictive but it's habit forming.

But most good things are

4. I mean, I tend to feel all bored if I'm not stoned sometimes. So then I sit there and feel like I should go smoke, so I mean, It can seem to be addictive at times haha.

5. Everything is addictive when overdone.

6. #6 faithless88, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2012
    Could be if your predisposed to addiction but most people that are smokers for years is more from habit. But it is more likely if some is addicted to it theres usually 1 or more under lieing causes.

And J Stoner, yes it can be physically addicting from it not be a naturally occuring in human bodies and they can become dependent on it to a point, causing with drawls.

7. Hey, atleast we all enjoy it aha.

8. there's some people out there who are addicted to eating toilet paper:D

9. I don't care what anyone says, it's addicting, maybe not physical but it will get you psychologically hooked. I mean, if your doing it on weekends and you never buy it, you probably wont get hooked but when you start buying high grade marijuana, expect to buy a lot of it. Don't worry though, you won't end up prostituting yourself if thats what you're thinking.

10. Everyone here on GC will tell you no. But I found it very very addictive. I have been an avid user of both Opiates, and Weed. Weed made me crave like none other. I had to have it when I first woke up. The first thing I had to do when I woke up was get high. Before I had a job I'd go extremely out of my way to get a few bucks to get smoked out. For 2 years I had an absurd addiction to pot.

11. I don't think it's addicting in the same sense at other drugs, but I am pretty sure that if someone has been smoking for five years non stop everyday and they suddenly quit, there would be some symptoms like insomnia and irritability but nothing like puking and shaking and such like with other drugs.

It's definitely more of a habit-forming thing. I'd say it's about as addicting as video games or TV, something used to cure boredom... like if you play a lot of Modern Warfare for a few days, and then you stop playing... you are going to want to play again most likely, and it's that slight impulse or urge that I would compare to cannabis.

12. You are very right about the addiction along with the symptoms, it is possible to get minor shakes for a day or 2 but that is from heavy users for prolonged times.

I'm dealing with this exact issue right now and it's not easy.

13. It can be addictive if you think it is. If you have any will power marijuana is not at all addictive.

14. Yeah and you don't see the government trying to make jerkin your dick illegal.

15. Everyone here on GC will tell you no. But I found it very very addictive. I have been an avid user of both Opiates, and Weed. Weed made me crave like none other. I had to have it when I first woke up. The first thing I had to do when I woke up was get high. Before I had a job I'd go extremely out of my way to get a few bucks to get smoked out. For 2 years I had an absurd addiction to pot.

Pot had me controlled, very much in it's grasps.

16. Addiction goes beyond just will power, I don't think the plant it self has any major addictive properties, but more of any mental issues, and or as I said predisposed to addiction.

17. To our body, anandamide (a natural chemical your body makes) and THC "look" alike. Anywhere our body uses anandamide, it can use a molecule of THC instead! This is why cannabis can heal so many things, it is substituting for anandamide!

Anandamide is constantly being made, and broken down, in your body. THC is a tougher molecule, it can kick around in your body until it hits a CB receptor. If that receptor happens to be a CB1 in your brain, you get high! :smoke:

Yes, anandamide can get you high if you make enough of it! Anandamide is required by your brain to prevent depression. THC can take its place!

Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood (news - 2005) Good News For The Medical Marijuana Movement: Pot Proliferates Brain Cells And Boosts Mood

Since THC and anandamide "look alike", and anandamide is necessary for normal bodily functioning, it seems odd that we don't crave it more! Take a moment and click that first link in my sig and scan down the "ANANDAMIDE" section of my list- it does WAY more than "just" prevent depression! :eek:

However, if you compare the "addiction/withdrawal syndrome" of cannabis to other drugs, cannabis is barely addictive! This is because (or so goes the theory) that the slow release of cannabinoid metabolites from fat, prevents the more severe withdrawal symptoms so common with other drugs.

This slow release is also why you get a positive on drug tests for 30 days or so with cannabis.

Granny :wave:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Very well said Storm Crow.