So if gravity doesn't exist like mainsteam teachings say..

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by iMaven, Aug 24, 2011.

1. well i've been reading this: Scribd

attempts to debunk gravity in a sense.. (plus talks about nibiru&elenin + how saturn's alignment has shifted considerably..)
    I believe it says the atmospheric pressure is what causes us to fall back to the ground.(do click the link, it's less than 3 paragraphs reading if that)
    well... wouldn't throwing a scale up prove that?

if you were throwing it away from the source of a pull, then wouldn't it's weight also decrease?
    however, in application, wouldn't the weight increase?
    i wonder if this simple exercise proves gravity doesn't work like we think (and the force comes from above).

as it fell, could it weigh anything?

i don't claim anything, just a random thought and I wanted someone to come slap some sense into me or verify

2. The gravitational force of the earth is caused by the large mass of the earth, not the atmosphere. In theory, everything that has mass contains a gravitational pull, the larger the mass, the greater the attraction/weight.

As for your question, it depends on your point of reference, because weight is only in relative to something, such as the earth. If you throw a scale up, then its weight decreases in relativity to the earth, however its mass remains the same, as mass remains constant throughout. If an item were on the scale, the weight will only increase on the scale because of inertia, an object's resistance to acceleration. As it falls, it will weigh nothing in relativity to itself and the weight as it is giving into the attraction of the earth.

Keep in mind that a scale is only used to calculate weight in terms of the mass of the object on the surface of the earth, meaning that the actual weight still depends on the reference point of the scale...

3. This doesn't work at all. If the gravity we experience on earth were a result of air pressure, an object's weight would be determined by its surface area, not its mass. Plus, by this logic, objects would be weightless in a vacuum, which clearly isn't true. Psuedoscience at its best in my eyes.

4. The article was wrong pretty much from its first sentence. Not your fault OP:)

MelT

5. LOL

ummm sorry but gravity has been tested in space, and it has nothing to do with atmosphere

6. I am not even going to read the article. As others have said, it's easy to know that gravity still exists in a vacuum.

Let's say you don't believe gravity is real. Do you believe in centrifugal force?
    OK, then what keeps the moon from flying away? Gravity, that's what.

Gravity exists between every bit of matter in the universe. This is how planets are discovered when we can't even see them. They can calculate one planet's gravitational effects on the orbit of another planet.

7. Total pseudoscience.

If it was atmospheric pressure was what that caused us to fall back to earth, then we wouldn't observe gravity in vacuum. Also, Galileo had the theory that when there is no air resistance, all objects fall at the same rate due to gravity. NASA astronauts tested that theory on the moon and showed that Galileo was right. If there is no gravity, why did that test work?

8. What drew you to this, Imaven?

9. yeah the force which brings everything together doesn't exist

10. #10 egr, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011
    Gravity is actually the main cause of atmospheric pressure. The pressure is the (roughly) the result of the sum of the weight of the air measured above a given point.

If calibrated to zero at surface pressure, the scale would read 0 lb at rest. To throw it upwards, you exert a force to accelerate it against the gravitational field of the Earth, meaning that it would read some negative number while you're forcing it. The gravitational field pulls with a (again, roughly) constant ~32.2ft/s^2, and so the reading will be 0 lb once again mid-air, as no other forces act on it. Okay, so that's somewhat of a simplification, as the scale experiences some air resistance, so it may read higher on the way up, and lower on the way down.

Once it leaves your hand, it will read zero again until it has an exchange of momentum with the ground.

The distance you throw it (and thus increase the distance between the masses in question) makes a certainly unnoticeable amount of difference in the gravitational field strength.

EDIT: In today's age, there is undeniable proof and all sorts of great information about gravity. Make sure that you're reading from reliable sources!