so i went to a psychiatrist and he said weed is bad.

Discussion in 'General' started by panflake, Jul 19, 2011.

1. I know its not necessarily the best thing to do and I know the UK health system is different to the US but my advice to anyone when you go to the quacks for anything, never, never, never say you smoke weed and or drink to much.

The only reason for this is doctors in the UK are rammed to breaking point and its the golden ticket to refer your ass right out of their office.

Weed is not good for the grey cells, its frikin obvious at the end of the day, the mind wasnt made to be mashed, but at the end of the day weed is not the brain killer that the government make it out to be. Yeah weed may be aggrivating your problem but its not the cause.

2. weed does help <3

3. What are you depressed/suicidal for?

4. TLDNR /

I think cannabis was outlawed during our greatest breakthrough of science and medicine, and as a result is reguarded too taboo for us to truely know its effects. The DEA says it's a schedule 1 - psyc says don't do it. Ancient china says it's just a plant, this is medicine.

5. ive always thought the way i do, as far back as i can remember ive had a low self esteem and i dont see myself living past 21 i just dont. you can say all that other people have it way worse or whatever but to me it doesnt seem worth it, all the struggles and the possibilities failure are more than the possibilities of success and im not a gambler

6. Morphine is a medicine, that doesnt make it safe for recreational use.

7. When I first skimmed over the title I thought it said 'so I went to a psychiatrist and he said my weed is bad'

You know, like he was telling you to pick up some higher quality shit like, 'damn son, that's some brick, come sit on the couch and check this shit out' *hands you a bong*

8. What a surprise :rolleyes:

Every doctor and psychiatrist I've told that I smoke bud has recommended quitting and some even tell me it's worse for you than tobacco smoke. I just say "Yeah, whatever" and move on. It can bring on schizophrenia earlier than if you didn't smoke though. Probably make it worse too

9. Hahahahaha

10. ^^ morphine is an extraction of the poppy plant, like hash is to weed. So more appropriately, that's comparable to smoking opium. Which in limits isn't going to kill you and has been used recreationally for thousands of years. Anything in excess will kill you.

Also, Blowtree is onto something. Funny doctors say it's bad but were using it medicinally in some states. That's why I said were not knowledgeable on it enough yet.

11. Some people react differently, so weed may work in bad ways for some.

12. Have you seen a primary care physician for a complete physical to rule out any possible underlying illness which could be contributing to your feelings of anxiety?

Many heart patients, for example, experience feelings of depression and impending doom.

Also, Have you considered cognitive therapy, it can be quiet helpful as a primary therapy in some forms of mental illness, and an adjunctive therapy in others.:)

Cognitive Therapy Treatment for Depression: Techniques & Benefits

13. i havent, the only thing i have done is i went to another psychiatrist previous to this one and after one visit she was trying to prescribe me paxil and my mo wasnt with that at all

14. It's bullshit i have bi polar with psychotic tendencies and it helps me ALOT, that's just the typical view on weed by doctors.

15. Patients who are being seen for psychological symptoms frequently turn out to have significant medical illness, so you may wish to consider having your symptoms evaluated by your primary physician.
    Arch Gen Psychiatry -- Abstract: Medical Evaluation of Psychiatric Patients: I. Results in a State Mental Health System, August 1989, Koran et al. 46 (8): 733

16. #56 Thessentials, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011
    Alright man, I will tell you the down low.

Weed is not "good" for you. In my opinion it's totally a hedonistic activity and there's nothing wrong with that.

No psychiatrist is going to tell you to smoke weed. It's really do what you want.

My psychiatrist told me I should stop smoking and I continued and then I realized my memory was pretty shit because I was high all the time. By no means am I giving a gay-ass-anti-weed-from-the-guy-that's-done-it-story. In fact I've been getting A's in all my classes in college and my life is going fine. (I say my memory is poor because I can ace a test and then fail it if I took it again at the end of the week.)

But I couldn't help but wonder if I would be better off if I wasn't high 24/7. So I decided to cut back on it, hopefully to once a week at least. Just started after smoking multiple times a day for about 2 years with maybe a 3 day break max here and there. Can't really tell you if it's helped but I guess I'll see.

Main point is, don't listen to you're psychiatrist and don't think their advice is the end all be all. They provide useful general advice but in the end, only you know if smoking weed is causing you any problems. And I know the P-doc can be convincing if you confront them, they'll spout all sorts of bullshit depending whether they actually believe weed is bad for you.

You just have to be honest with yourself and sometimes that can be harder than it seems.

From a chemistry standpoint. If you have a mental disorder you're brain is already in a sort of disequilibrium and adding more chemicals that are meant to throw it off it's natural course probably isn't going to help you. It really depends on the severity, because in most cases I would be reluctant to even take SSRI's or MAOI's although I realize sometimes they're necessary. The thing that really turns me off about them is that those are the sort of drugs that can cause permanent changes to serotonin production so once you use them you gotta stick with it and hope it works.

Alright, sorry this got kind of lengthy. Bottom bottom line...

Is weed bad? No. Is it going to help you? No

Fuck, just read someone's post who has bipolar. Just realize when I say it doesn't help (some of my direct relatives have bipolar and I'm lucky that I don't have it bad) I'm saying that it is just a short fix. It's just a bandaid and once you stop smoking you're not going to be better off than before you started smoking. It definitely dampens my mood so if that's what you want and it's not causing you problems then keep doing it.

17. mary jane is my muse.

18. ya that makes a lot of sense but now after talking to him, the way he was so sure that it was the weed causing it scared me and kinda made me believe him

19. #59 Thessentials, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2011
    I feel ya man. Hell, I still get confused sometimes when I go to my psychiatrist. I go for ADD but she loves to talk about weed (not in a good way, always asks if I'm still smoking.) I eventually told her I wanted to cut back and asked her what her real opinion was. She finally told me that she didn't think it caused any serious problems but said that I'd be better off without it. Just remember you are paying them to listen and help you, not for them to tell you all the things you're doing wrong and make you feel bad about them. In my opinion a good psychiatrist would support you if you wanted to stop and shut the fuck up if you didn't

Weed is just so difficult in the fact that it doesn't have any obvious downsides like amphetamines or opiates that slap you in the face and tell you "hey, you should probably do this less frequently". I've honestly had less trouble stopping both of those habits and I've never even been physically addicted to either, it was just a lot easier to tell when I was crossing that line. Weed's especially confusing because it's not physically addictive, you'd think that would make things easier but I always find myself questioning, am I psychologically addicted? Because I can go a long time without smoking but I always want to smoke some time in the future, I'd never want to say that I'll never smoke again. And then how frequently is too frequently? Fuck if I know, for me I guess it's everyday but that's a really rough estimate.

I've never had weed make me depressed but it does make me anxious around strangers for some reason, like I don't want to talk to them and it just makes me introverted in general (mostly because I can't think of anything quick enough to stay in a conversation and have it be meaningful). That's the worst thing I've had happen and it's definitely tolerable.

If you really want to put your psychiatrist's claims to rest I guess I would take a week or two break and then decide if you feel better or not. That's what I did in the beginning when I first started smoking. Although I didn't smoke very often, like 3 times a week. Stopped after my parents caught me and realized there was very little difference.

(also realized you said psychologist and not psychiatrist, my bad. Same stuff applies I suppose, at least you don't have to worry about them trying to prescribe you random stuff that they don't know anything about because they get kickbacks from the pharmaceutical companies. :p)

20. ok so i was starting to not like this guy the last visit i went he was like falling asleep on me and this time i told him i didnt want to continue seeing him and nothing has changed my suicidal feelings are not changing so he then spoke to my mom and told her i got 2 options either take some pills and continue going to him or go to ucla for some kind of elctricity thing to my brain, and he also mentioned another option of me going to a place for 4 months where theres like group therapy and shit.