so i went to a psychiatrist and he said weed is bad.

Discussion in 'General' started by panflake, Jul 19, 2011.

1. dam well when i thought it did make me feel better but i do feel less motivated but as far as suicidal thoughts and feeling sad it really helped me with that.

they definitely are stubborn, i tried saying that i thought it was helping me and he kind of cut me off and explained exactly what being bipolar and schizo was and was pretty much saying it was because of the weed. He said most of his patients that come in have smoked weed and thats what was causing their feelings and then he told me i absolutely had to stop(he said it with the most certainty). So because this is is profession i kind of bought into it, i had already been on a week t break and im going to continue being clean.

2. well ive stopped many times throughout my middle school and high school years and i dont remember my reaction to it but i had sports taking up my time so i was busier. but recently i have been on like a week t break and i notice that i am a lot more sad and feel hopeless and almost brought to tears. idk i dont want to be creating these feelings just because i really like marijuana

3. I'd think the OP didn't understand or quote the doctor properly before I'd jump to the conclusion that he's a bad doctor.

As a bunch of people already said, if you're already predisposed to certain psychological problems then using cannabis can aggravate your symptoms and bring the disorder to the forefront of your psyche.

If you're bipolar or schizophrenic, then weed IS bad.

4. #24 Oceanic, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
    Of course weed is bad to him. He's itching so bad to write you a prescription for Prozac or something.

5. Do what you feel.

Smoke until you're killed.

6. Well, it's really about what you think.
    You should quit for awhile, and see what happens.
    Sending some good vibrations your way.

7. im gonna go ahead and say opinions on grasscity on this topic are probably slightly baised.

but from what ive heard, pot dosnt really have any negative effects that outweigh the positives

8. Psychiatrists prescribe psychiatric drugs. Almost all their business is off of prescribing anti-depressants and mood stabilizers. A lot of people use weed for relief and it works better then their drugs, with less negative side effects. It's pretty much a direct threat to the psychiatric drug business.

They also probably see a disproportionate amount of people in their office that smoke weed and have psychiatric problems and think they're connected. However, causation and correlation are two different things. People with all sorts of psychiatric conditions have probably noticed relief when they smoke cannabis, and they use it. Anxious people use it to calm down, depressed people use it to cheer up, and schizophrenics just like smoking in general, disproportionately to the normal population.(a whole 'nother discussion)

Furthermore, many psychiatric drugs don't work any better than placebos and the negatives greatly outweigh the positives, and you can build a tolerance to them so they're not a viable long term treatment. It's making them billions of dollars though. :eek:

9. Psychiatrists like to reach for things, that's their job. Without whack theories, they're lives are meaningless. Weed doesn't cause schizo out of the blue, it just onsets it quicker than it would normally without smoking.

10. Of course he did, he can't get paid to prescribe you weed.

11. #31 4Sheezy, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Am I the only one thinking OP is showing certain tendencies so the psychiatrist told him that to be safe?

12. Most importantly-do you feel, as a patient, that the doctor's blanket condemnation of cannabis has caused your communication to become restricted or forced?

If you are not going to follow his advice and quit, then do you feel your future relationship will be confrontational?

In order to develop a decent therapeutic relationship with your clinician, you need mutual respect and trust. And open, clear communication.

13. Get him high, nah just kidding but weed does help bio polor i KNOW that. it is also being used and has been for 1000's of years for depression. so yeh i retract my just kidding and think you should burn a bowl with him. :smoking:

14. Get a NEW psychiatrist

15. I have 2 close friends that r bi polar an 2 me they 2 b in alot better frame of mind an much more fun 2 b around when they r smoken an im around them atleast 2x a week

16. did you watch generation Rx, very fascinating, if you haven't do so please

17. you forgot all the shitty ass side effects and long term damage to the body, that comes with going against mother nature with this "enhanced synthetic crap" they inject into everything these days
    but all in all extremely well said

I urge the op to show the psyc a documentary called Generation Rx, then this

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWhn74HwiLI]‪Dad Gives Son Medical Marijuana Battling Brain Cancer Hijacked Governments Criminalizing Healing?‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

then you can begin to hear what he has to say...

18. Hey OP, how about you read this book:

Anti-Oedipus: Capitalism and Schizophrenia

by Gilles Deleuze & Felix Guattari

Completely dismantles all the deeply-entrenched notions of clinical psychiatry and psychoanalysis, as well as what being 'schizo' actually entails.

I'm nearly done it, and to me now, the psychoanalyst's couch is a laughable joke.

Embrace your madness. Weed makes you schizo, does it? Really? A clinical "schizophrenic-as-entity", (in the words of the authors) perhaps. A snivelling little neurotic all laid up unwell on his doctor's couch, pouring out all his repressions to the spectacled man sitting on the chair, who gets paid whether or not you get 'bettered'.

Being truly schizophrenic (Deleuze & Guatarri's idea of schizophrenia) is not something to be... terrified about.

19. He told me weed was like alchohol and was only a temporary fix and would leave me worse off then if I hadn't smoked at all

20. #40 4Sheezy, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Which is true, if you're using marijuana as the answer to your problems. To me, it just seems like you're misunderstanding what he's saying.