So I Was Thinking About Gun Control...

Discussion in 'General' started by PoliticsRWeird, Sep 29, 2014.

1. And I realized I didn't really have an opinion on it. I was thinking about it like this... Do people ever really question and challenge their own opinion, or is their opinion on a  political topic (especially in the U.S) shaped by the first information and impression of the topic they learned. When I say this I'm thinking about how all News outlets (where most people get their information about the world around them from), and basically the media in general have influence on the shaping of people's perspective.

Anyways I began challenging myself instead of jumping to a conclusion about a solution, like I have in the past. I've proven myself wrong many times to the point where I think it's important to challenge your beliefs, in order to problem solve...

So Gun Control. It seems like their are 2 sides with 2 arguments...

(Im sure there are people with modifications of the mainstream opinion of these two sides) 

BUT here is a look on how I contemplated the issue in my mind...here is the inner dialog and mental visualization I had that could possibly shape and form my opinion. Could the information I have been exposed to in my life, influenced the attitude (or bias if any) of my inner dialog?

My Inner Dialog: 

gun control is necessary for the safety of the people. In this mind frame I am thinking about the negative consequences of criminals and unstable people to have easy access to these weapons. Is this why other countries with harder access to weapons have less "shootings (a public firing of a weapon).Still, we should ask ourselves WHY people who commit shootings do so. What do all school shooters have in common? Lets see if we can find a pattern in their personality, behavior ,etc..I'd feel wrong to assume that they are simply born evil.

BUT

gun control is bad because the constitution says we have the right to bear arms. This was  implemented during the time the constitution was written. The government and they way the country operates are different now. We don't have the threat of a foreign lethal power like with the British occupation during the Revolutionary war do we?  do we? I am assuming that during this time, everybody could own a gun. Is this true or was their gun control during this time? Were there public shootings during this time? 

Basically, I am ignorant. In the past, I may have shaped my opinion on this issue, off of the "information" or perspective, certain media outlets would feed me. I really do see how the media shapes our perspective of the world". If the media showed the homeless in America on T.V everyday on the news as if it was a "major crisis, or CURRENT issue" then it would be in people's minds. They would say "oh man, the homelessness in this country has gone crazy lately". I wish I was better at explaining what I feel.

But what I do know is this...I was ignorant to form an opinion before ACTUALLY trying to understand this issue. I formed an opinion out of MISINFORMATION and ignorance. 

I will leave you with this: 90% of the media is controlled by 6 Major Corporations. Do these corporations have ties to Politics or people with public influence (especially in government and politics)

2. The media is going to show only the bad cases of people who have permits for firearms. I know many people who have CCW's and are some of the most responsible trustworthy people I know. I live in the middle of 'suburbia' basically, and almost every single one of my neighbors have guns, I've never once felt unsafe or anything like that. They take it really seriously too, I don't know anybody that just has guns lying around, everybody I know takes the proper precautions with safes, and safety measures, etc. You would not know if it you were just walking down the street but almost everybody here is packing something.

3. "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
    Col. Jeff Cooper

4. I was raised in a household with guns and keep a 9mm to this day, it's never been a problem. 

I have it for the same reason I have emergency food, bars of silver, water purifiers, heirloom seeds, bows and arrows, medical kits, portable ham radio and animal antibiotics (which are the same as people antibiotics but don't require prescription).

I hope I never need them. 

However if a solar flare, global conflict, energy shortages or any number of things disrupt society in such a way that some of the more aggressive criminal types decide to do some old school pillaging my ass will be taking off. 

I live life like a normal person, I'm not a doomsday conspiracy prepper nutjob.  I just have a contingency plan.

I would be fine if they restricted firearms a lot more than they already have, guns aren't a hobby of mine.

The problem of completely taking them away is that then only criminals and police will have them.  Those are the two largest groups of people killing other humans with firearms so the problem isn't solved.  The only change is that the regular civilians no longer have the same weapon as the criminals and police.

I don't think violence in our culture stems from the media or 'gun culture'. 

Little kids fight and wrestle, being aggressive and competitive is in our nature.  America rewards and respects exceptionalism in a much grander way than you find in most countries.  People are almost taught to be entitled to greatness, every child can become a movie star or professional athlete.  

This taught entitlement probably causes a much harsher reaction to the normal downfalls in life, and the easy access to guns provides the easiest form of power.

5. In b4 fear-mongering liberals

6. The right to bear arms in the constitution is in the same section that gives states the right to maintain a trained militia force... Which... None of them currently do...

Having lived in Alaska, I do respect the right to own a gun, as it is necessary for your protection up there (from wildlife mostly). But when I see those open carry assholes walking around Target like they're hot shit because they scare people while they're "only exercising my rights" I can only feel they're completely misguided, at best. How many black men do you see openly excersising their right to carry an assault rifle? Fucking non, because they know police will shoot them down over carrying an air rifle (which was picked up in the store) while privileged white dudes hoot and holler about "don't tread on me!"

I can see both sides of the argument, mostly it just sucks because the extreme opinions are always yelling the loudest

7. Gun control is using both hands. 

Control your guns everyone!

8. This is what im workin with. Still waitin on the zombie apocolapse. Your lookin at about 2k right there. Modified bushmaster ar15 with a new rail, front grip and a 50 round drum. And the glock. I have an eotech scope but thats in the safe.

I use my ar for sport. Shootin at my moms farm in SC and the glock is home defense

Sent from my LGLS620 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

9. Fuck gun control. Criminals will always find a way to get a weapon to hurt people. Nothing you can do about it

10. #10 SlightlyStonedSD, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    nvm

11. #11 Boomhauer, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
    Rape is a law . gun control is a movement. You misunderstood

12. I changed my mind I'm about to take a nap and don't want the notifications while I sleep.

I'm not anti gun btw

13. ☺

14. Like I said, I am not anti gun, I definitely think there should be more in depth background checks...I don't think that's too much to ask.

This argument is an infinite loop. Time is a flat circle.

15. ^_^

16. Im all for that, but dont restrict weapons to the people who dont do nothin. Like me lol.

Ive known people who go to gun shows and get weapons and not get checked. I agree, that needs to change

17. My opinion on gun control is unfavorable to the keyboard warriors of the vast interwebz...

So I'll refrain from posting in this one.

Just gunna drop a.. Ya know this thread already exists in a multitude of topics in the Politics section.

18. Im a warrior on the internet and real life 😀

19. Untouchable topic.]
    Blathering idiots who don't realize the problem is exactly what they're defending.
    Not doing this again.

20. Coming from someone who shoots competitively in the eastern US, I'll say that the laws make it hard to do what I do. Many things are in the Gray area, especially laws on transporting firearms out of state.

I think that it doesn't have a large impact on criminals that use guns in crimes. After all, the majority of people can get their hands on drugs even if they're illegal, so I'm sure it isn't too difficult to buy a black market gun.

I do think that licensing is a good idea as far as how the class 3 permits work where you have to obtain one in order to have automatic firearms and suppressors.