So, I want to grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Bradl3y, Jan 13, 2013.

1. I'm not thinking anything big at all, one seed most likely. I've been thinking about it for a while and I reckon it's time to give it a go - even if it is just a learning curve. Anyway, I've picked out a strain: (GC link)

http://www.grasscity.com/uk_en/cannabis-seeds/autoflowering/royal-dwarf.html#.UPMiZG_dedg

Reasons for this one in particular is that it's a short growth period (8-9 weeks), small height (50-60cm), the seeds are cheap and it is auto-flowering. I want to make this as easy as possible on myself so as to hopefully learn something, and to not fuck anything up.

All I was planning to do was germinate the seed(s), put them in a small-ish pot under a lamp in some soil, water it a bit, move it into a bigger pot after a couple of weeks, water it some more and then get some bud.

I'm trying to convince myself that because it's auto-flowering it requires next to no effort. Should I not bother and try again when I'm less ignorant?- Also as a side note; if I planted some sprouts in my garden in the spring, would they grow and produce the sensi with me only checking and watering them (same strain)? I live in South-East England.

2. Autos can be just as hard to grow, just as slow, they're usually less potent and yield less. If you want a fast flowering plant get an Indica dom, and veg for very short period. It will still finish around the same time.

Before you start though, do your research. It's important to know what your doing so you don't waste time or money to end up with disappointment. Read the stickies and read grow books, watch youtube videos of popular cultivators such as Jorge Cervantes

3. Thanks for your reply. With the auto I was just thinking low risk. Instead of buying expensive equipment and seeds, just try and go for a first run. And concerning the yield, with this grow an eighth would be a success. Like I tried to say in the post, it would be just a learning curve - dipping my foot in the pool as it were.

4. Autos are just as expensive as feminized seeds. Start with bagseeds, they're free and it will give you experience

5. #5 PuffDaddy420, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
    [quote name='"BYOweed"']

Autos are just as expensive as feminized seeds. Start with bagseeds, they're free and it will give you experience[/quote]

^^ that's what I'm doing. So far im on 29 days Veg and 13 days flowering.

and have just sexed one of my plants.
    Female :)

6. I meant more of the lights and such, but £15 is a small price to pay for a potential harvest.

Just read you first grow log, great job man, I'll be damned if I can get a plant to look that nice.

7. i recommend getting an auto, personally. not because they're any easier to grow, but because they're shorter. i find the bigger the plant, the more anxiety in growing. also, if you get a feminized variety, they're a pretty sure bet.

also, you can get a variety that has high thc, just as high as a regular plant.

if i could make a further recommendation that would get you excited about growing while you do further research (i get it, man, trust me), i recommend a strain called 'pixie punch'. they yield around 20-40g and are done in 4-5 weeks from seed.

you'll want to order some more seeds, though, because these finish fast, just shop around on the single seed centre (worldwide seeds) website and come up with a few you'd like.

8. #8 BYOweed, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    Autos seem to be a great marketing scheme for breeders..

Many photo indica strains stay short, flower just as fast, yield more, and are generally more potent. The only real difference is that autos begin to flower based on age vs the amount of hours in a day. This still isn't an advantage because by the time it flowers(based off of age), you could have vegged a photo strain for 1-2 weeks, then flowered it and both would finish at the same time

Thanks man! :smoke:

I learned almost everything from this site. Do your research and soak up as much knowledge as possible and it starts to become much easier

9. if they both finish at the same time what's the difference? autos have 1-2 weeks of veg anyway. indica strains can be shorter in stature than sativas, but are definitely not shorter than autos, which usually have a substantial amount of ruderalis genetics. autoflowers are designed to give both high yield while maintaining short stature. if you have an indica that is as small as an autoflowering variety it will not have the yield. the trick is to find an auto that has a high thc content, which is becoming easier and easier.

the other downside of indica and indica-heavy strains is that they are kind of couch lockish. i mean i like strong smoke, but the nature of their buzz is typically a bit obnoxious in that they're not as psychedelic and they'll put you to bed.

10. #10 BYOweed, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    The first two sentences is my exact point. There is no time difference unless you veg a photo strain longer. So your left with no time difference, lower yield, less potent flowers for nothing. You could have topped, and scrog'd an indica with much better results.

Ruderalis' are not known for large flowers, or it's psychoactive properties. When they breed photoperiod strains with ruderalis strains, they try to achieve the light schedule difference from the auto, and the yield and potency of the photo.

You can also find sativa doms with the short stature and fast flowering characteristics of the indica parent

11. you write much better than you read, my friend.

12. i highly recommend using bagseeds too for first time you might get super surprised as i did..i got a sack of commercial bud and been growing those for 6 months its maple leaf indica this shit finishes in 6 1/2 weeks...got 100's of seeds for free i got lucky finding some decent commercial bud