So I started making knives

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by SkunkWoodz, Aug 3, 2011.

1. That would be pretty badass man. I feel awkward on collab's but Since you offered :D

2. It's no prob, I really dig your work. I can't make knives like you do (I wish I could) but maybe I can contribute with a few designs

I'll post some up if I find some

3. #83 fenix420, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2011
    I didn't find manage to find any of my old drawings but I didn't want to leave you hanging so I whipped these up. I could do some more but it's late so maybe later

[​IMG]

EDIT

I toked up before bed and snuck in two more drawings. These are kinda awkward. I'm not sure of their practicality; I was trying something different.

[​IMG]

4. OP you have some mad skill.... I kept wondering why the pics were so blurry... that last knife is mega tiny!!! super cool... we need updates

5. Very cool man! But you desperately need a knife sharpening machine. The designs are nice but the edges leave a lot to be desired. ;)

Really like the shapes and ideas though.

6. Fenix- Really diggin #2 and #4. Unsure if the center curver on 3 is a finger slot past the guard or part of the edge?

thank you tihspeed!

Feanor- What type of machine are you talking about? like new grinders? or an actual sharpener? I'm pretty confident with my skills on a wetstone, and just inherited 6 more high quality stones.

7. I think it's part of the edge. I draw a line with circles on the tips symbolizing where the edge begins but you can alter it however you want. I tend to get carried away with all those crazy angles. I'll try to remember to keep it simple because certain shapes are more difficult to cut than others. I'll post up some more traditional blades for you later.

8. Word man, I kinda like the idea of it being a finger slot. Lol little easier too. Gonna finish the 4 or so I got in progress, before I can take on any more.

I really like the sort of reverse grip on #2 btw. Got a pinky hold instead of index....wicked :D

9. thanks. I got the idea from the thompson

[​IMG]

10. a few more

[​IMG]

11. Really like the one on the top right. It's definetly Kukri styled, a Nepalese fighting knife.

[​IMG]

Came back in to post this guy, my last remaining thrower of this shape, lost the others playing around. Anyways, spent a few minutes the other day fixin this one up, leather handle with pop rivets hammered flush, in the spirit of the competition throwing knife I received off a job. Put it back on the belt sander for a new finish and a less gnarled edge, then muh new buffing wheel to get it nice an shiny :D Need to get a few more of these cut out some time, only take about 20 minutes total.

[​IMG]

12. My biggest concern on throwing knives with grips is how the impacts may knock them off.

and yeah, I based that knife off the kukri

13. Attempted a wire inlay. Got it to stick down for the first half just couldn't get the last half in the groove without messing up the first. This particular skillset is gonna take some serious time learning lol. Luckily my mother is a jeweler and probably has something to say that could help me out.

[​IMG]

Found a sweet little micro engraver at harbor freight, thing works awesome. It is way too fun.

[​IMG]

And debating on whether leaving the mini knife the way it is or trying my first brass guard to fill in the lack of handle. What do you guys think? I'm pretty close to going for it. I just love it the way it is though.

[​IMG]

14. Here is the curve-less knife. and it's maybe future handle. I think this may just be my first attempt at "art" knife. It's been planned out so far, thinking it's for the best. messed up the draw line when a friend came over and ruined my concentration when I was almost happy with it, argghhhh. My friends should know by now, don't bother me if I'm in into something with my tools. Following is just some extra love for the mini. Lol starting to think I made it just to show off, seems to find it's way into my pocket more often than not. Got a tiny leather sheath for it now and barely know it's there.

Dr. Gon (After all the "gon" shapes, hexagon, octogon, etc)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goin to Mexico in about 9 hours though. Stoked but gonna miss my shop. Tools are my zen garden. But you know ya boy is coming back with tons of designs, maybe a couple finished sheaths, some whittled nick nacks, and hopefully some Mexican hardwoods, authentic and extra special (Hopefully not illegal, fuckin customs). Would be freakin rad to find some of my favorite wood, bocote or some real expensive here cocobolo

Wish all the blades following and reading as good a week as I'm going to have. I'll get back at ya in a week and a half with a fatttttyyyy update, even though it won't with any actual goods (if only I could bring a vise, some files and a grinder...) Thanks for readin, and PEACE OUT!!!!

15. Bump to motivate my ass to finish some of the ones I'm working on.

16. Happy new Year. Now get your ass in gear. :p :smoke:

17. make a sword

:smoke:you can do it

18. LOL thought I made two already ;)

besides here's what's goin on (or not so much) in the shop
    The hunted knife
    smaller knife from a file
    Dr. Gon
    A fish and bird knife from the other side of Dr. Gon
    A pre made damascus blade I got for christmas
    A stag knife from an old man
    A new blade for a auto folder
    uhhhhh think that's all haha

All my shop tools just got snowed on too, not cool, but my mistake, didn't think of snow blowing around coming into the car port where my shop is set up.
    I'll be cutting the handle for the Damascus blade soon, It's gonna be awesommmeee

19. Some recent work on Dr. Gon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Amazing work man, you should try something a little more unique.
    If you cold make a skinny knife with a black blade that would be awesome.

Try Egyptian knives and daggers as well for more influence :)
    [​IMG]