Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

So I smoke every day, but do my parents know?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by WavvesonWavves, Jul 11, 2013.

1. So I smoke every day, but do my parents know? I just came home from college about 2 months ago and while away I fell in love with weed. Now that I'm home, I still smoke everyday. The thing is, I have to be sneaky about it because I still live at home with my parents(both 46) and my brother and sister (23 and 11). Since I can't smoke inside, I either smoke at my friends or I hotbox my car in our driveway. I rarely smoke inside, and only late at night when my parents are asleep. Despite trying to be sneaky, isn't it safe to assume they know? Or that they at least assume? I mean, my mom and dad each caught me at seperate times a long time ago and they were only kind of pissed(just because of legality, and the fact that my dad works for the government). It seems like when they hear me go out late at night and come back in half an hour later they would assume I was up to shenanigans. On top of that, I'm a musician/writer creative type who goes to college in a town infamous for weed(a ton of great headshops) and I also go to music festivals where drugs are a main staple of festie diet. I feel like it's kind of obvious I would be a pothead, yet my parents haven't said anything to me, or even hinted. And they are by no means dumb, so I'm starting to think they must know and have just accepted. Anyone have any idea what to think?

2. Your in college man be respectful and tell them and if they still don't understand then try to educate them. If that doesn't work then... i don't know your parents should accept it!

3. I'm in the exact same situation, college sophmore, friends with punks, in a band, etc. And i'm curious about the same thing. Interested to seeing more replys

4. If you smoke every day there is no way your parents DONT know you are smoking. Plain and simple.

5. Whether they know or not if you are smoking every day they are bound to find out. Happened to me when I started every day a while back. I'd say just tell them, it's going to happen anyways so get the worst part over with. I'm sure they would at least appreciate your honesty even if they are pissed about you smoking.

Yup.

7. They probly know they cant stop you so why try. ittl just casue drama within the family

8. One big thing I forgot to mention is that while at school, we hotboxed that shit every single day. So my car(a 98 Chevy pickup, only has 2 seats, small cab, OPTIMAL FOR HOTBOXING) smells like weed at all times. And my parents have driven it a few times since I've been home. While I air it out and do other things to get rid of the smell, it is always kind of there. And since they each caught me before, I know they know what it smells like, so it seems like they would get in my car and boom I'm fucked. Also, my mom works at the bank my account is in and she is basically my banker, so she can see when I withdrawal 60 dollars, or whatever other increment of weed measurement. And seeing as how I rarely ever have anything new(whether it be clothes, movies, games, etc.) it seems like she would wonder where the money was going.

Those are both dead giveaways, and on top of everything I don't smoke cigarettes so I could never use that as an excuse(I think they'd be more mad if I smoked cigs anyway). And to the guy who said I should respect them, I completely agree. I've contemplated just talking to them about it, but I don't feel like it would help. Neither of them have ever done drugs so they are just SUPER misinformed and brainwashed to think what the man wants them to think. I can not undo 46 years of conditioning unfortunately. But thanks for your thoughts!

9. #9 WavvesonWavves, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
    Double post, my bad.

10. #10 llllllllll, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013

After reading this post too, I am even more certain they know you are doing it.  Like pointed out above they probably dont really care too much and are content with letting you be you as to avoid drama in the family.  Dont give them a reason to not want you to do it and you should be fine (ie dont get caught with weed by police)

11. They probably do, I tried so hard but my parents just knew lol

12. The approach that's been working for me as far as not having my parents call me out is to engage in frank discussions around legalization/MMJ as they come up, but never to relate it back to myself. Also to really stress the point of how kids shouldn't be using it because it devalues its image as a medicine. While I'm sure my parents have the idea that I use cannabis, they also have the idea that I have a responsible viewpoint when it comes to moderation. It also helps if you stress the point of how alcohol is super lame.

13. Trust me bro if they know they'll confront you about it... Don't even worry unless they actually catch you

14. yeah it's shocking how oblivious some parents could be, maybe they are just in denial of their son smoking illegal drugs. 

or 

your parents at least kinda know and don't wanna make a big issue out of it and realize that you keep your mj use away from them and that it's not negatively affecting your life.

If you're really that worried you're an adult so be responsible and just talk to them about it. 

15. look man, if it bothers you that much, just tell them. Then you wont have to wonder and i wont have to waste my time answering this thread

16.  not necessarily true. I smoked every day, twice a day, for two years in high school without my parents finding out. I had a foot long bong and a pipe along with a half o in my closet all the time. I don't think my dad cares about weed that much, but my mom is from Korea (weed where she lived was unheard of). Plus, she kicked me out of the house for a night for getting a B in Biology so if she knew she would've definitely shanked me. There's factors that play into it, though. My parents were busy working all the time so they didn't pay much attention to me and I think they were literally just too lazy to care enough to look in my closet and find out why my room smelled a bit off.