So... I have a turtle now...

Discussion in 'General' started by nanners, Mar 26, 2012.

1. My little brother just gave me a painted turtle and set up an aquarium for it today. He is really excited. Anyone have good experiences with painted turtles? I really want the little guy to be happy.

2. What kinda turtle is it? Is it just a red eared slider?

3. Painting a turtle sounds fun...where does this type of thing happen?

4. Uh..he said it was a Painted Turtle twice.

5. wait... is the turtle painted?
    or is it just a name for that kind of turtle?
    one has to know this.

6. [quote name='"p00nd"']wait... is the turtle painted?
    or is it just a name for that kind of turtle?
    one has to know this.[/quote]

That's the name of the kind of turtle.

7. OH LIKE THE BREEED!
    DUH... Well a lot of people...ok not a lot, but SOME people paint their live turtles and bedazzle their shell....Not the smartest but whatever, it looks cool:p Im sure it probably breaks down their life span a little because if they're aquatic, the glue and paint chemicals erode into the water....

But no, i've never had a painted turtle sorry:p all i know is you need a good basking UVA lamp

and im pretty sure nanners is a she....

8. what does it taste like when u lick it?

9. They don't hibernate, My brother thought his was. It was dead.

10. [quote name='"nnunes"']They don't hibernate, My brother thought his was. It was dead.[/quote]

Lol! For how long?

11. Its the species of turtle... Painted turtle... I would never paint an animal that would be mean.
    And I am in fact female... lol

They actually do hibernate.

12. [quote name='"nanners"']

Its the species of turtle... Painted turtle... I would never paint an animal that would be mean.
    And I am in fact female... lol

They actually do hibernate.[/quote]

Shit really? Well this one was definitley dead it was months he didn't move and we did the mirror test to make sure.

13. I have some Red Ear Sliders, under a year old and about the size of quarters, they a rad. Painted turtles are similar, I think you will enjoy your new friend. How big/old is he/she?

14. There shall be no licking of the turtle! :yummy:

Anyways.... I'll take pic of him or her later if anyone wants to see.

15. #16 nanners, Mar 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2012
    I have no clue how old the turtle is or what gender it is. Is there a way to tell? The turtle is around 4 inches long.

I have it in a 10 gallon aquarium with a turtle long, lamp, filter and pebbles. Should I put other things in it? I plan on getting it some feeder fish to eat. I also got some turtle pellets and dried blood worms.

16. long claws and long tail=male
    short claws and short stubby tail=female

or vise versa....you might wanna Google that to be sure..

17. Males have longer front claws. Their tails are wider, and the cloacal opening is farther down on the tail. You should post some pics. Your gonna need a larger tank down the road, but should be good for awhile. Turtles dig some fish, dandelion leaves, carrot tops, dried shrimp.

Most aquatic turtles do not hibernate, unless in cold outdoor ponds. Some turtles may brumate in indoor aquariums, but that is usually due to dropping temps, or not enough food.

Land Turtles that do hibernate, can do so for up to 8 months in some cases.

18. do you have a turtle dock? Is the lamp just a flourescent or UVA/UVB?

19. My sister has turtles and just about anything i throw in there they gobble up.....blueberries, lettuce, hotdogs, my dead feeder fish, uhhhh STRAWBERRIES! celery...grapes..pretty much anything...