So I have a kief tray, and I have a kief crusher..

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by spincut, Feb 18, 2014.

1. But I don't want to lose a lot of kief getting it from the tray into the crusher (which I'm still figuring out how to use mind you). I am told there are little tools that are useful for scooping kief out of said tray into other things? Is it called a "point"?

Sorry, only recently got a 4 piece grinder, so anything to do with that 3rd/4th piece is kind of a new deal to me after all these years of just using my cheap two piecer.

2. Call my old fashioned, but I would rather smoke my kief in a bowl or a joint as opposed to making concentrates. Just gather a decent amount and sprinkle that magic on a J.

3. The thing is, I am quite the opposite of old fashioned, given I almost exclusively vape :p . While yes, many have said I still stand to benefit by sprinkling kief on top of my volcano bowl, for instance, I kind of liked at the very least solidifying it into a flat piece first so it burns evenly. Either way though, I was under the impression that kief is kind of sticky? I don't want to jam my fingers in that tray to find I'm wasting it because it's hard to drop into or on something (this happened the last time I got really sticky hash oil too...still trying to find an ideal tool replacement for my fingers on that one :p ).

4. Fair enough dude. I had a friend who would pretty much always vape. The only times he would smoke is when he had a shit ton of kief, which he would roll a joint that was like half weed and half kief with a generous amount of hash. Those were the days.

5. Hah, well, I do have rollers, and I totally could do that once I have enough (seems like it would be wasteful though unless you had an abundance of kief).

But yeah, I still do want to make use of my kief, and a volcano can still handle it (in fact I'm thinking it would be better to nestle that kief disc in the middle rather than on top). But yeah, while a very simple issue, I was still curious to know what to exactly ask for at my head shop (or the internet) as far as any kind of ideal little tools designed to transfer it around without using my fingers?

6. Can you post a picture of your tray? I use a razor blade and parchment paper to handle kief. I scoop the kief onto the paper and use it  to dump into my press. Lets see what you're working with and I can give you a couple tips. At the very least, a good description of the tray and press would suffice.

7. Aren't most kief trays, regardless what they be attatched to, kind of similar? At the end of the day it's just a tray at the bottom of a 4 piece that catches kief?

But ok, I have a medium titanium space case. Pretty well known model so I imagine that should tell you what you want to know.

The press is a cali crusher (it came free with the space case surprisingly).

8. That helps. I personally have a square kief collector (RYOT box). I would use a new clean razor like I said. Just scrap across the surface and you should be able to clean every little piece off the tray. I would then scoop with the razor onto a small piece of parchment paper with a crease folded into it. Use that to scoop the material into the press.

I can tell you from experience that when you press the kief it will stick to the press and be difficult to remove without a razor or something similar. So again, I cut tiny circles the and put them into the press and sandwich the kief between them. It will still press nicely, but you won't have to work as hard to get at your finished product.

9. Not sure i'm saving with what a RYOT box is?

And hmmm, well I HOPE that getting the stuff out of the crusher isn't that hard, because cutting tiny piece of parchment paper to put on either side kind of sounds like a pain (and I dont have any).

But I it's nice to know all I really need is something as simple as a razor or whatever to scoop the stuff out (not that I just have razors lying around either :p ) . Figured I needed to pick some tiny tool or somesuch up at the shop for that.

10. #10 vitalvoid, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    Well give it a shot without the paper and see what happens. Maybe you'll have different results. As for the razors, your local hardware store will sell 100 packs of razors for less than $10. 

If you're into collecting kief you should google the box I mentioned or simply type kief collector box. I collect much more with this than I ever did with a grinder that had a kief collector built into it. I use a simple grinder with no collector and dump it into the box. Occasionally I give it a shake. 

11. Get a 9 by 11 piece of notebook paper. Make sure theres no wind or nothin. Tap out your kief onnit the fold the paper in half and slide the kief into a little kief box or somethin.

Wait, if I'm going to go to a store and buy something specific for this, do I really want plain razor blades?

And yeah well the kief collector was more incidental at first. I needed a new grinder, thought about just getting another 2 piece, most people on here said there was pretty much zero reason to get a two piece, so I got a 4 piece. I will admit I am a little bummed at the extra trouble I go through to get a finer grind (it practically falls right through the holes otherwise and for my purposes I wanted to GRIND it, not just break it apart a little). But yeah, the upside was at least now I'm collecting kief (and have a better grinder as far as durability). I guess i'll look up this kief box, but if I actually got one, it sounds like I'd probably also want to get another grinder, since using a 4 piece plus that seems excessive.

I dont have a kief box, I have a crusher. But I guess just trying to tap it out on a piece of paper and funneling it into the crusher isn't a terrible idea...still thought just getting a tiny little scoop tool (that I thought they made specifically for this) would be the best route, but it sounds like such a thing does not exist after all?

13. I agree with you. The grinder does it's job, but I never feel like I get what I want out of them.

I would still use the razor blades. They're fairly cheap, you can reuse them and it gets the job done. I like using razors because they're precise and if you're working with a flat surface you'll clean everything off the tray leaving no waste.

I've never seen a scoop for kief or cleaning kief grinders. I'd be interested if someone knows of such a tool. :confused_2:

14. I make something specifically for this.

[​IMG]

15. Just buy this:

http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/happy-daddy-baby-buddah-stainless-steel-concentrate-tool.html#.UwQrtKgo7MI

It is just a tool for handling hash. A little scrapey side, and a tiny scoop on the other end. Should be perfect for you, and its only ten bucks.

16. #16 spincut, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
    Hah, well this may have ideally answered my followup question to all this.

But i don't know if you had been fully paying attention, I need something to handle the kief first (I'd rather not use my fingers). Honestly Rotawee's little scoops are pretty close to what I had in mind (I was thinking something in metal...and again. surprised no one has confirmed that I can just walk into a headshop, ask for a "point" and they'd give me something similar..).

But yeah, just out of curiosity, why did you recommend this specific tool (I've noticed there's a lot of fancy marketed ones out there, some more glorified dental tools than others)? I mainly am curious because I DO need a hashoil tool, but one that specifically is useful for grabbing particularly sticky pieces of hash and dropping them in a pen (a nail dabber that doesn't need to detatch the piece from it because it's smooshing it into a hot skillet is not what I'm looking for because I own no glass rigs, and only use a pen to vape, meaning my needs are slightly different, and so far I have yet to find an ideal tool for grabbing and dropping off pieces into my concentrate pen).

17. Im just sayin, thats what I ise, and it worksmfor me, and its cheap. I dont really know what you want.

18. #18 spincut, Feb 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2014
    I just told you, referenced an example a user posted above, and then clarified what I WOULD want if I was to get a hash oil handling tool, as separate as that was from this initial question...not sure where exactly I lost you, but that's the gist of it.

19. make one from a credit card