Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

so i had this conversation with an ex-toker today...

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by sodomizedjello, May 6, 2006.

1. really got me to thinking.
    i know he's a smart kid. he used to smoke bud everyday but then stopped because he felt that it was negatively affecting his life.
    he told me that when he smoked he felt like he went backwards in evolution, like an ape, his desires and thoughts were dumbed down and so simple. the example of his stoned train of thought he gave me was, "oh, me like food. me like watch tv. me like laugh oh ha ha yes laugh fun. oh look i have a penis, this thing is so so much more fun than anything"
    he felt like he didn't mature at all during the years he smoked. he said it was like a giant anchor attached to his mind that didn't let him get anywhere. he said he hated a lot of the people he chilled with and only ever met up with them because of weed. him and his friends didn't care about each other, they cared about getting high. the people he got involved with were not good people. he said it made him only seek out or think about the pleasures in life and he was in denial that there are bad times that you have not choice but to live through.
    he's still open to drugs, there are a few drugs he still wants to try. he said lsd was a blast.

of course i explained that drugs aren't for everyone and they are different for everyone. moderation is key if you don't want it to interfere, it's medicine as well as recreation, it's a pretty light-weight drug, it's hardly a health hazard, it isn't protrayed entirely accuratly in the media, all that jazz. i told him that i felt that it helped my creativity (i'm kind of a writer..) and my motivation. hah, when i said the latter his face went like :confused: i had to explain that when school gets too stupid for me to find the willpower to try i think about how much i would like to prove my mother (and other people) wrong in her opinion that weed can only impede your acedemic progession, so i apply myself to get the grade to show them.:devious:
    i've also become a kinder more considerate person. my thoughts don't slow down, they start to race. about all kinds of crazy shit. i don't smoke because i have problems, i smoke because i either want my time to be more interesting, want to relax, have some minor ache, or just feel like once again experiencing that familiar, warm feeling that is thc in my brain :smoke:

he said he would have said all the same things i was saying, when he smoked he felt like, "this is only good. how could anyone think this is bad?" he said the only reason i feel the way i do about weed now is because it's difficult to see past it. i can't see past my current weed-loving self, and people dont generally like to think of their favorite pass-time as something that is harmful to their personal growth. he says i'm just lying to myself thinking that weed has only a positive influence on my life. you get out of it what you put in, and i'm what i'm "putting in" is all my positive reasons for smoking, so what i'm getting out is positive messages from my brain to myself saying that this is good and it is helping me. my love for weed is blinding me, he says, from the reality which is that weed is inhibiting growth as an idividual, stuff like maturity and ability to solve life's problems.

so, um. what do you guys think about the things he said?

2. different strokes for different folks man. if that's the way he felt then good for him, but I really disagree. I've just gone through a 6 week break from smoking pretty much every day because of an upcoming drug test (on monday as a matter of fact, bought a zip tonight for when I can finally smoke again), and I can honestly say in this time I do not feel any different. I never had any sort of "withdrawal" symptoms, I don't think any differently, my class-attendance (I'm in college at UConn) didn't change (still shoudl have gone to more, heh), my study habits didn't change, nothing. In fact, weed IMO is a good study tool becuase you can motivate yourself to say "Well when I finish with all this material, I can finally go relax and smoke a bowl". I just finished finals and I found studying to be very difficult with nothing to look forward to afterwards. Also a lot of times the only thing that got me out of bed in the morning was the fact that I was gonna wake and bake.

I mean, weed can ruin your life, I guess, but if weed is gonna ruin your life, it's not weed's fault. If it wasn't for weed, it'd be something else like booze or other drugs. One thing I really disagree with is the dumbing down of thoughts, I think pretty much the same when I'm high, if not just a little "out of the box". I don't regress into a little child or anything. I go to class high all the time, write papers high, do other work high, and it's all the same to me.

And I don't think anyone is ignorant to the downfalls of weed, but IMO and apparently yours, there aren't many. The only downfalls I see are the illegality and the somewhat alienation from my parents. But I'm not gonna stop because others want me to, it's my life. So, to each his own, and keep toking friend.

3. It could very well be true for him. Like you stated, it has different effects on different people. I smoked moderately and then quit for about 3 years. In this three years, I feel I can accurately reflect upon sober life vs. this past time we share. Basically, it sounds as if he has an addictive personality. Someone who has an addictive personality most likely will not be able to smoke moderately, and thus it probably did work backwards for him. However, there are many cases where this is not true. Where someone DOES smoke in moderation and their life progresses. I usually smoke twice a month. Recently I've done about twice a week because I have nothing going on where I can do twice a week. But I'm not going to school high, I NEVER go to work high, I only smoke when it's time to relax. This works well for me, I can progress in school, a steller employee at work, and I still have my fun. Some people are even able to go to school high and still progress. I'm sure i could, but I just choose not to smoke while at school mainly because I swore off driving impared and that's my biggest worry about smoking at school is the driving. Basically what i'm trying to explain is that not, these are not excuses we make in our minds to justify one's smoking. My 3 years of soberity life was just the same, I progress at the same speed. It just sounds as if you friend has an addictive personality and that he found what was causing his decline in lifestyle. That is very possible, no one denys that some people get EMOTIONALLY addicted (note, not physically... it's all in their head). And he was one. It's great that he found his x-factor, but he needs to also expand on this and understand that not everyone is the same as him. What about all the doctors, lawyers, and other distinguised members of society who toke? Are they slacking off in life?

4. yEAH I AGREE, SOMEWHAT. lIKE A GIRL YOU LOVE YOU TEND TO NOT SEE THE BAD AND ONLY FOCUS ON THE GOOD TO MAKE THE BEST OF THE SITUATION...

bUT i MYSELF THINK I HAVE MATURED QUITE WELL AND HAVE BEEN SMOKEING SINCE 10.. i BELIEVE IT IS THE FRIENDS YOU CHOOSE AND YOUR ENVIRORMENT EFFECTS HOW YOU MATURE. eXAMPLE iF YOU HANG AROUND WITH A BUNCH OF YOUNG IMATURE TYPES THAN YEAH YOU WILL HAVE THAT SAME LEVEL AT LEAST WHEN YOUR AROUND THEM... i FEEL NO ONE EVER FULLY MATURES... i MEAN EVERY ONE ACTS LIKE A CHILD EVERY NOW AND AGAIN EVEN THE ELDERLY... aNYWAYS IF ITS SOMETHING YOU LIKE TO DO OR WHATEVER WAY YOU ACT AND IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, HAVE FUN AND ENJOY LIFE...... WHO THE HELL CARES IF SOMEONE THINKS YOUR IMATURE WHO THEY HELL ARE THEY TO JUDGE HOW MATURE YOU ARE BASED ON YOUR OPINION OF FUN!!!

5. yeah i have a friend who used to smoke but he turned ultra religious and he wont smoke even though he asked his pastor and he said it was okay since its natural. He says that its being happy "artificially" and its too bad for ur lungs and he feels like shit the next day. i pretty much disagree with all that but i cant even convince him otherwise on any of these subjects

6. Tell him about brownies :p Then he doesn't have to worry about the smoke in the lungs. However that is interesting his pastor said that.... kinda cool. And putting myself in his shoes, his response of "Artificially High" Is probably the best counter-argument for the natural debate I've heard...

Off topic: WTF are those kids doing in your sig?

7. roflmao ^^^^ I SAY THAT EVERY TIME I SEE HIS SIG.. AND FOR SOME REASON I ALLWAYS END UP STARING AT IT FOR A FEW i DONT KNOW JUST DRAWS ME IN(CRAZY KIDS BETTER STAY OUTTA DADDYS METHLAB...LOL) SORRY OFF TOPIC

8. tis from a video of these like 7 year old brother and sister getting a nintendo 64 for christmas one year and they go apeshit when they start unwrapping it :hello:.

9. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVVuU Sooo funny :D:D:D

Anyways, on topic. I've recently began smoking more often than I used to and I know that it has changed my life somewhat, it's really inevitable. But, that doesn't have to mean a negative change either. I've found that my appreciation for music has been GREATLY increased and I've found that I've been reading much more often. Cannabis brings out my creative side, and as long as I maintain my work and don't let it interfere negatively, I don't see a problem with my use of it.

10. i dont really agree with what he said... i think more clearly and creatively when im high, unless i smoke to much..

11. you can both be right at the same time. marijuana affects the brain and lord knows everyone's brain is different.

the key is to always remain open to the possibility that what he says may apply to you one day, and vice versa.

12. You're friend makes some valid points about why it's not that great to be high all the time, but I don't see any compelling reason to quit completely. I mean, if all you do when you get high is sit around like a monkey playing with your cock, then yeah, getting high isn't a character-enhancing experience.

But I've never smoked any dope that forced me to become Monkey Man. I do all sorts of things high, just like regular life. Sometimes I'll smoke to get retarded, but other times I use it for creativity or just to enhance experiences.

The point is, it's ME deciding how weed is effecting my life, and not the weed. Weed is just an intoxicant, a mild hallucinogen (audio, mostly), and somewhat "mind-altering". But it's not mind-control, everything you do high is your own willpower, and you have the ability to control what you do, when you smoke, who you hang with, and how you carry on your life.

I can get where he's coming from, and I agree partially, but his outlook seemed to be that he was at the mercy of the weed, which is bullshit, IMO. Weed didn't make him choose bad friends, he did.

If he wants to quit, good for him and I would never judge him badly for it. But his experience isn't a blanket experience for all smokers.

13. good post.

I personally smoke for both physical pleasure and mental stimulation. To be truthful I don't think weed changes me all that much, just my mood. I still think of the same things and come to all the same conclusions, just that my mood is very happy so I tend to take a more positive route when it comes to actions and conversations.

There have been many people who believe, simply put, that stupid people shouldn't use weed as it tends to make them focus only on the instinctual rather than the mental. Meanwhile, since intellectuals think of extremely profound or complicated subjects, weed tends to enhance that rather than detract from it. It's not even about willpower, it's about who you are as a person.

This person obviously thinks about sex and food n'soforth a great deal if weed enhances that. I believe Bob Marley said something to the tone of "Ganja reveals me to myself" or something like that. This is very true. I haven't FOUND myself per se on ganja, but I have figured out that I'm a very complicated person with a lot of different mood changes that hinder me from achieving a great deal of my goals. This revelation in and of itself, was caused by my regular recreational cannabis use. Thusly I think that it is beneficial for me and alot more people. In short, ganja's alot more positive than your friend would like to believe. NOT the other way around.

14. I really love this post, because my reasons for smoking are exactly the same as yours. It's a medicine, a fun time, a creative boost, and a way to relax. Some people use weed to mask their problems and not deal with crap in their lives, and it sounds like this friend of yours probably had this very situation.

Mind you, I also have abused weed when I've been depressed. Many things have happened to me in the past 6 months, the most fucked up being the sudden passing of my father. I've only now started to deal with my grief in a positive way by seeking help.

Be it weed, cigs, alcohol or hard drugs: people will abuse anything to keep away the waking moments when they have to deal with hard times in life. It's an ugly thing, but it's more psychological then it being just a negative problem with weed.

15. i wish i could still get that high and for the past year or so ive been smokin and doin schoolwork so uh it must effect different people differently..

16. I was talking about this with my friend today. The thing that I love about weed is how it makes you just be. When I'm stoned, nothing else matters in the world, at least not the unimportant bullshit. I try to accomplish this while sober with some moderate success. The weed has taught me so much about myself. So I don't plan on stopping, minus the occasional tolerance break.

17. Holy shit! People should keep it to theirselves how dumb their kids are...

Back on topic:

He makes alot of sence to me... don`t get me wrong, weed doesn`t have this kind of effect on me - it cheers my life up!!! ..but I can totally see how it can affect certain people that way. Some people shouldn`t smoke seasonally.

18. I'm all about smoking marijuana as long as remains a positive influence in my life.

It's nothing more than a hobby to me. I don't let it effect other areas of my life.

I'm a very introspective person, i like to be aware of my surroundings, the people in it and most importantly myself.

Your friend sounds like he was using drugs for the wrong reason and to the wrong ends. I would agree with his choice.

It's important to remember it doesn't effect everybody the same way. My level of thinking goes way up when i'm stoned. I come to conclusions long before i understand the process. It's only untill i realize the process that i go "ohhhh that makes sense!"

19. the high always goes away... you can still smoke a lot of herb but you cannot escape reality

20. i hate this theory, it pops up wherever i am at least once a month. the theory that all tokers are idiots and lazy and fuck ups and everything else society hates. its just flat out not true. heres my idea to counter this way of thinking: i believe that the whole 'smokers are lazy and dumb theory has become such a commonplace stereotype, that when someone starts smoking they go along with this stereotype, sort of like a pleseabo. its my own personal belief that anyone whose life starts to take a turn for the worse due to smoking is physcing themselves into the mentality that they are a stoner, and that something about their minds is weaker than everyone around them. please, dont try to argue with me by showing me some marijuana effects from erowid or something like that, im not talking about anything like that.